Which Fuzz for a Gained Up 800 Style Amp?

tdump

I got a new amp, a Fargen Olde 800, and am going to rebuild my board for it. I really want to be able to pull off a classic metal sound and a shoegaze/stoner sound. I haven't tried them yet but I'm thinking a treble booster, sd-1, or rat will take care of the former, and was hoping someone could recommend something for the latter.

I'm playing a strat loaded with Dimarzio rails. It has a chopper in the bridge and cruisers in the middle and neck.

I did some searching and I'm intrigued by the SUF Sonic Generator and the EQD Hizumitas. Any thoughts on those? Throw any suggestions my way.

Thanks!

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
I‘d definitely go with a Rat and an SD-1 both for the classic metal stuff. A lot of flexibility and tonal options with two rather inexpensive pedals. Rat set as a boosty distortion, SD-1 as a clean-ish mid boost, you then have two classic but quite different sounds from the two pedals alone, and for more extreme things you can have both pedals on at the same time.
Treble booster is not my personal fave for an 800 but I am sure others will disagree. I like them for more Plexis and AC30s, though. Analogman Beano Boost ist my favorite.
For shoegaze, the Rat at full tilt might also be a good starting point. Acapulco Gold could be a nice addition to the stable IMHO

Honestly for shoegazey stuff a Muff style fuzzstortion is a classic. I know Smashing Pumpkins aren't considered shoegaze but the shifts from chime and jangle to roar on Siamese Dream have influenced a lot of those types of bands, and they are mostly powered by a Muff into Billy Corgan's 800 set very clean. You don't have to run yours clean and it'll still sound great, especially cause the mids of the Marshall will stop the Muff from being too scooped.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
A rat and a FuzzWar together will cover the entire spectrum of drive sounds from a little clean boost to all out destruction. Vintage metal, shoe gaze, and stoner alike all fit nicely within those book ends.

Feverdog

A Muff and an SD-1 is unbeatable. I play a Strat copy with SD hot rails into a late 70’s JMP clone. Personal favorite Muffs for that set-up has been the Wampler Leviathan or BAT Pharaoh and a stock SD-1.

I love treble boosters but to me they sound nothing like classic metal. A super cheap alternative I’ve found is the EHX Nano Metal Muff which has a toggle for 70’s, 80’s, 90’s (not really but that’s what they sounded like to me).

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Depending on how much gain/drive you intend to get from your amp, it might make sense to try any of the good-quality Colorsound Overdriver-type pedals out there. Most of them have a fair amount of fuzz at the end of the dial but tend to keep a little more if your attack than some other fuzz types, which can translate well if your amp is also gained up.

tdump

I‘d definitely go with a Rat and an SD-1 both for the classic metal stuff. A lot of flexibility and tonal options with two rather inexpensive pedals. Rat set as a boosty distortion, SD-1 as a clean-ish mid boost, you then have two classic but quite different sounds from the two pedals alone, and for more extreme things you can have both pedals on at the same time.
Treble booster is not my personal fave for an 800 but I am sure others will disagree. I like them for more Plexis and AC30s, though. Analogman Beano Boost ist my favorite.
For shoegaze, the Rat at full tilt might also be a good starting point. Acapulco Gold could be a nice addition to the stable IMHO

I think both of those would be great for the classic metal sound but I'm a little doubtful that the rat will handle the stoner stuff. I guess there's only one way to find out!

One cool thing about this amp is that it has a 'Decade' switch that will basically change it to goosed-up versions of a jtm 45, plexi, and jcm. I anticipate keeping it on the jcm setting for what I'm playing but I'll experiment.

Honestly for shoegazey stuff a Muff style fuzzstortion is a classic. I know Smashing Pumpkins aren't considered shoegaze but the shifts from chime and jangle to roar on Siamese Dream have influenced a lot of those types of bands, and they are mostly powered by a Muff into Billy Corgan's 800 set very clean. You don't have to run yours clean and it'll still sound great, especially cause the mids of the Marshall will stop the Muff from being too scooped.

I'm a big fan of the pumpkins. That's shoegazy enough for me! I'd be stoked if I could get a sound like that. I have a few muffs lying around that I'll try out. Never played them through a real hot amp. My old setup was more of a pedal platform. Is there any particular version you like?

A Muff and an SD-1 is unbeatable. I play a Strat copy with SD hot rails into a late 70’s JMP clone. Personal favorite Muffs for that set-up has been the Wampler Leviathan or BAT Pharaoh and a stock SD-1.

I love treble boosters but to me they sound nothing like classic metal. A super cheap alternative I’ve found is the EHX Nano Metal Muff which has a toggle for 70’s, 80’s, 90’s (not really but that’s what they sounded like to me).

I just got a SD-1w. I'm excited to try it out, especially in conjunction with a muff.

I'm a big fan of the pumpkins. That's shoegazy enough for me! I'd be stoked if I could get a sound like that. I have a few muffs lying around that I'll try out. Never played them through a real hot amp. My old setup was more of a pedal platform. Is there any particular version you like?

I haven't played a great deal of Muffs but the one I still have is the Deluxe Big Muff. The foot switch-able Mids section is amazingly helpful and is basically a one button solution for cutting through a loud band if you need it. Amazingly rangy pedal but it is a big one so you'll need a decent bit of pedal board space, I think it's comparable to a DMM XO size wise.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
The rat and sd1 are interchangeable, imo, pick whichever flavor you like best (or keep one of each for those days you’re feeling spicy and want to step outside whatever your norm is). It’s the fuzz that’s the wildcard here.
For really dimed out stoner riffs,my mind goes towards something that does that square sounding wave thing. A hoof might do it, the carcosa kinda does it, fw definitely does do it, and I don’t know much beyond that, for moderny muff variants that a: really have that kinda gain structure on tap, and b: aren’t also cloaking devices in a live mix.
The smashing pumpkins-esque muff into a muff thing is fine in the studio, but it’s really tricky live.
Hizumitas might do it too, but I’ve not played with one yet, and I’ve yet to dive into the reviews too deeply.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom