which fuzz for gilmour sounds (but cheaper than a pink flesh)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by destructo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. destructo

destructo Supporting Member

What (if anything) is comparable to a skreddy pink flesh for gilmour tone without the exuberant price tag... thinking about a mayo maybe.

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Heard great things about the Little Big Muff.
    My D*A*M Ram Head gives me great Gilmour tone (obviously), and the currently available and far less expensive Psionic Audio 3.14 can almost copy that type of tone if you set it that way.

-Ben

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Little Big Muff

4. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

A mayo isn't any cheaper. I'd suggest BYOC Large Beaver or Russian big muff if you're looking to find something under the $100 range.

5. Cado

Cado Member

Check out www.gilmourish.com There you can find out what he used throughout his entire career. From there pick the fuzz that offers the tone you prefer.

6. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Depends on what Gilmour era you are after, If you want that Dark Side of the Moon Sound, Get a Fuzz Face with silicone transistors. Anything after that would be a good big muff clone.

7. destructo

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Looking on ebay I noticed one pink flesh selling in the $500 - $600 range, and one that sold for around $570. I actually just pulled the trigger on a mayo for $275 (figured why not give it a try) and got on the list for a lunar module.

8. Dale

Dale Member

Top Fuel, Lunar Module ... just kidding - Little Big muff and and cheap eq pedal.

9. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Dunlop JH-F1 does it for me.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

or a RAT and an eqish pedal (for me a RAT plus a timmy) gets me ALL of the way there. . . . the RAT has proven to be the most versatile and buffer-friendly pedal for high-gain that i've ever used. fuzzes are DARN particular. . .

peace

11. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

think it does Gilmour better than hendrix ... part of the reason it impresed me , that and how it cleans up. a Rat does well and a TS 808 or 9 are what I use for years with a Space echo and a JMP...got real close with that rig

12. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Analogman Bc-108 and Keeley AD-9 ... Gilmour in 2 steps

13. Burgs

Burgs Member

The Dice Works Triangle Big Muff does it for me. Erich Holden, the builder, has added his take on the Cornish mods for it; the ones that Gilmour apparently requested in the early 70's. It's the best one I've ever heard/used.

Here's a clip that I did with the larger version, the Fuzz Epic.

14. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I manage to get the Dark Side up to Wall tone with a London Fuzz II that has an exterior Bias. The LFII is a silicon fuzz face (which is what Gilmour use from echoes up to Wish you were here) but has the ability to get a lot of gain towards the end of the fuzz knob enough to get in the flesh and comfortably numb tones, I then use the bias to darken and fatten it up. A big muff will not to the pre animals tones well (too fat) Total cost of operation for a classic era Pink Floyd fuzz: 180 dollars.

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

EHX Double Muff - set it in double mode and crank one circuit up high. Absolutely nails Gilmour's 70s lead sounds. Cheap, true bypass, runs forever on a battery. Can't go wrong.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I really need to check out a Lunar Module... good for Dark Side tones I hear. Although I'm a bit puzzled by your Mayo purchase... it's a bit aggressive and 'in your face'. I've had a Zero and a 3 Pink Flesh's, a Top Fuel, and a Screw Driver. I would have suggested a Top Fuel if you were hankering for a currently available Skreddy to cop the tones you're thinking of.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  17. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I second the Zoom Ultra Fuzz. Unbelievable fuzz - gets many different sounds and does them well. I got mine for $50! Not a fan of Zoom multi FX but the fuzz is a great pedal.

18. destructo

The mayo was a bit of an impulse purchase. I figured at $275 I could check it out and probably re-sell it without too much trouble. Might check out a top fuel. London fuzz 2 looks interesting.

19. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Great playing!

20. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I use a D*A*M Ram Head, but I think the BYOC Ram's Head Large Beaver is your best budget alternative.