which fuzz is right for me?

M

Matt Elliott

I am looking for that really thick and smooth fuzz, with good lowend. Something that really sounds massive and doesn't mind chords.I play a G&L ASAT Specail into a 65 Bandmaster, and lately no fuzz I have found has really cut it for me, they all seem to bright or buzzy for me. So I would be quite thrilled if you could all possibly send me in the right direction with this one. Thanks in advance.

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Matt Elliott
I am looking for that really thick and smooth fuzz, with good lowend. Something that really sounds massive and doesn't mind chords.I play a G&L ASAT Specail into a 65 Bandmaster, and lately no fuzz I have found has really cut it for me, they all seem to bright or buzzy for me. So I would be quite thrilled if you could all possibly send me in the right direction with this one. Thanks in advance.
Try the Demeter Fuzzulator. Very musical and versatile. Tons of sustain on tap and very smooth for leads, and clear chord work. You might want to look into the Demeter Mid Boost as well. In fact, they just came out with their FOD (Fat Overdrive) which combines the Fuzzulator and Mid Boost.
FWIW,
Rick

If you can afford it a Cornish P2... for that Fuzz face tone, a Fulltone '69 is great value, and Analogue man sunface is great too..

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
The Addrock Geranium fits your description. Tighter bass than most Fuzz Face clones, isn't as tubby either. Lots of smooth gain, and works with a wider variety of amps and guitars than your average Fuzz Face clone. Works incredibly well as a boost or overdrive as well. I've owned the Sunface(both standard and NKT), the London and the Vintage Tone Projects and this is my all time favorite.

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Skreddy Zero?
Frantone Cream Puff/The Sweet?
McFuzz HOT?

Look for fuzzes with BIAS or TONE knobs, as that's where you can dial out some of the fizziness you're talking about.

PB Wilson

The Aramat Mojo Fuzz is pretty affordable and has a Mojo (bias) knob that makes it really effective. It can go from classic germanium Fuzz Face tones to a more wooly fuzz blanket for your sound. Keith is a great guy as well. I own an early one and use it often.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Go with the Sybil. Hugely interactive with your guitar vol. knob. When plucked lightly, it sounds so sweet as well. M.E.

alderbody

you're definately after a Ge fuzzface clone.

so many to choose from...

[size=1/2]and so easy to build one...[/size] :D

ToneIsKing55

Silver Supporting Member
the bright and fizzy sound is probably due more to the fact that your running the fuzz into a Bandmaster which is a high headroom amp. Have you tried stacking the fuzz into an overdrive first. I have to do this with my drri and it sounds great. I hated the sound of the fuzz straight into the amp, some people like it but it doesn't sound like you do so you might try stacking and see how it goes.

Stratobuc

I would say a tonebender clone. Many to chose from Keeley Black Glass would be a good choice, or JHS Firefly if you're on a budget.

Trending Topics