Which fuzz is this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frizbplaya, Oct 7, 2008.

1. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Can someone help? I'm trying to figure out what fuzz the guitarist from the Kooks is using on the song sway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Dh58BxJdU

It become even more apparent at the 2:25 solo. Here's a pic of his board I found but I'm not sure if it's the same stuff he used for this album or not.

[​IMG]

Anyone know??? Or can anyone suggest a SIMILAR sound?

2. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

That could be a number of fuzzes...
    I'm not much of a fuzz user, but sounds to me like a fuzz face type pedal could do that...

The pic doesn't isn't showing though...

3. Zillie

Zillie Member

i would say Superfuzz maybe... can you repost the picture? it's not here

4. steinwand

steinwand Member

an EQD Dirt Transmitter definitely can sound like this,
    if the BIAS is dialed in properly :AOK

5. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Without a doubt that's the Analogman Sunface NKT 275 but it's not the standard version, it's the one with the red dot transistors that have softer break up. That particular one is using battery only and doesn't have the power adapter nor the led that some people seem to want.

How's that for completely made up bullsh**?

Actually, mine will get the sound pretty close but you could probably go with an EH Germanium and turn the battery down and the bias up to get that also. It does sound Germanium to me. The silicon ones are a little more prickly.

6. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Thanks for the replies! eBay, good BS! I was thinking "yeah right" as I read that, haha.

Even knowing if it's germanium vs. silicon vs. muff vs. tonebender, etc is helpful since I'm just getting into fuzz and figuring out the differences.

Here's a link to the pic, I'm guessing blogger randomly changes the image name to keep people like me from reposting on forums...
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_OH-mvRY7jBU.../uxqm7LqhOtM/s1600-h/kookspedalboard_0161.jpg

7. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

actually, I don't think that picture's helpful unless I'm missing something, looks like a couple LS-2s with Hot Cakes, octave, wah, DMM, Phase 90, AD99, Mr. Echo and a TU2. I'd have fun with that board, but I don't see a fuzz...

8. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Search Youtube for "Sunface" and "Germanium". You'll find a lot of good clips. Check out the MJM site too, they have some bad-ass player riffing Hendrix stuff on theirs.

9. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

I saw the Kooks on a UK TV Show - Al Murray's Happy Hour - dunno if it's the one in the link [as I'm at work and You Tube is blocked] - and thought what a fab tone he got. I did a lot of Googling and finally found some blog or news article that said he had bought a Fuzz Factory recently. Man, some of those blogs for these new bands are full of trash - all text[sms]-speak. Anyway, I think he NOW uses a Fuzz Factory. I'll check later when I get home which You Tube clip this is.

10. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

It's the song Sway off Konk - the new album. Depending on when he got the FF... could be it.

11. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wu4jCrjaGUc

This is the same song -Sway, and the same sound, but recorded a few months ago. No shots, as usual, of the pedalboard. Cool heavy analog delay sound from the Mr Echo or Maxon. Cool sound.