Which Fuzz sounds like a Bumble Bee?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6789, Oct 9, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

Which new Fuzz pedals do you recommend for a Bumble Bee kind of sound? For single notes on the low E string - Like a surf guitar song with a novelty Bumble Bee fuzz.

Would the Fuzz Riot by VintageFX or the D*A*M 1966 be good choices? Are there better choices?

2. stekks

stekks Member

I'd go for a Jordan Bosstone or a Mosrite Fuzz-Rite kinda fuzz for this sound. Do a search on ebay, or google to find if somebody makes a clone.

3. 6789

6789 Member

I didn't know who Davie Allan and the Arrows were till today. (I guess I don't get out enough) His type of fuzz on his song Blues Theme is close to what I'd like to get.

4. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

That would be the Mosrite "FuzzRite". There are a few people making clones of those, I have no idea how authentic they sound. I have one that South Phoenix Dave from the Toyz board build that sounds pretty good.

5. ck3

ck3 Member

The Holowon Static Egg can produce this type of tone, too ... but the company has a bit of a shady history (including my transaction with them) ... so you may wish to try to find one used. :eek:

If I am not mistaken, someone is only asking $45 for one on the Harmony Central Effects Forum right now. :cool:

6. stekks

stekks Member

SouthPhoenixDave from the MusicToyz forum built me one too. It's pretty nasty and it doesnt get used much, but it's nice addition to my 'fuzz palette'.

7. 6789

6789 Member

I ended up getting the VintageFX Fuzz Riot pedal. It sounds great. just what I wanted.

8. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic. Just caught this thread, and it's a good thing -- this is a sound I've been trying to grab. Tried a Torn's Peaker, which is a bit wild & gates something fierce, and the ole tried & true Big Muff Pi (nice, but really not what I want.)

How's the gating on the FuzzRiot? Can you knock it back to hairy, rather than all out fuzz-attack?

9. 6789

6789 Member

I was able to try out a prototype Torn's peaker and it wasn't as torn sounding as I had hoped.

I've only had the Fuzz Riot a few days. I wasn't satisfied with the clips posted at the website so I emailed the pedal maker and he made a new clip for me that convinced me to get it. With the gain turned low it still gets a cool bumble bee sound without being out of control with tons of noisy gain. turning it up gets an all out fuzz. and the tone control adjusts the high end in a great way - at different amounts of gain you might like the tone set differently. It easily gets the Davie Allan and the Arrows kind of fuzz. Other fuzzes I've tried just seem to be all out distortion that is too out of control when the gain is turned up to try for the fuzz sound.

The Fuzz riot gives me more texture and raspiness than other Fuzzes I've tried.

If you send me a PM and give me yor email address, I can email the clip to you.
    I bought it at pedalgeek.com you can also buy it from the maker: vintageFX.com

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Mosrite Fuzzrite has the correct buzz. I have one of these, and also a clone by Phoenix Custom Electronics called a Fuzz-white.