1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which fuzzbox for a Gibson w P90s?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mezcalhead, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I'm playing in a covers band (hard rock/pop punk, mostly). To start with I was the only guitarist, playing a Strat or Jazzmaster through a BB-Jr (BeeBaa clone) and a Hotcake into a Vox AC15.

We've now got another guitarist who uses a Strat, so I've tried switching to an LP with P90s - an R6, actually. That really fits well - except when I use the BB-Jr, it just doesn't sound right at all, it either disappears from the mix or just sounds really buzzy and artificial.

Any suggestions about fuzzes I should look at? Either specific pedals or just types of fuzz to go between an R6 and an AC15 .. fuzzface? muff?

:huh

2. Ming Chow

Ming Chow Senior Member

I use a LP Jr w/ a P90 and an AC15. I really like the Fulltone '70 and Ultimate Octave. I also like the fuzz I get with my PCE Lady Stardust.

3. aaronweits

aaronweits Member

The Fulltone '69 is good with my SG Junior.

Although, I've been using a Sunlion (Sunface side) recently, it's almost toooooo dark with the P90. Tele is fine though :p

4. mcerreta

mcerreta Member

I play a SG with P90s and a Jazzmaster into an AC30, so far I haven't found a fuzz I liked better then muff style ones. I've owned a Skreddy Mayo, Sweetsound Pi Face, blackout Musket and suprisingly the one on my board right now is the Big Muff with Tone Wicker. Great sound, and at 90 bucks new you really can't beat it in my opinion.

5. somedude

somedude Member

Pretty much any Fuzz Face or Tonebender circuit will work. I don't like Muffs, so I won't comment on them.

I use a germanium Fuzz Face, '70, Octafuzz, Soulbender, Beano Boost and Throbak Overdrive/Boost. All these pedals have worked really well for me... some better than others.

Just about any Fuzz Face I've tried works well, but I like the Fulltone '70 for the big midrange boost it can give so it cuts a little more. The Soulbender has alot more gain, and just screams in the the midrange. I prefer the 70 as it kicks out more lower mids, the Soulbender has a brighter, upper midrange thing going on.

I tried running a Beano Boost for awhile. It gives a great cut to leads, but it's not a sound I really 'felt' was me. Still, it was a great sound.

[​IMG]

6. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I'd suggest a Pedalworx McFuzz - awesome fuzz face style pedal (GE/Si hybrid) - covers overdrive to fuzz with clarity, complexity and dynamics. Priced reasonably as well.

7. drunkenguitar

drunkenguitar Supporting Member

I have an SG Classic. I like playing it through my Skreddy Mayo as far as fuzz is concerned. Very smooth and articulate. I have a London Fuzz (Germanium) as well, but it sounds a little too thin for my tastes. Still a great pedal for getting vintage type tones, though.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

Tonebender clone.
    Univox Superfuzz clone.
    Blackbox inferno.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Very helpful guys .. I think I'll start by taking a fuzzface clone and a muff clone to the next practice.

Many thanks!

10. aquadog

aquadog Member

This was a great one for humbuckers

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

MI Audio G.I. Fuzz

12. steinwand

steinwand Member

^what he said

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Try a Durham Crazy Horse. It is versatile and can get very edgy and grungy. Check ou youtube for some sample demos.

14. ahab

ahab Member

How do tonebender type pedals sound with an R6 and an Ac15 (or similar type amplifier) when the amp is really working?

15. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

P90s? Pop/Punk? You need a Superfuzz. The Watson or an MJM China Fuzz will do, but try to lay your hands on a real live Univox Superfuzz (or a Uni-Fuzz, same thing only AC instead of battery). Was good enough for Pete Townshend (Supefuzz all over Live at Leeds).
    Or try an Ibanez Standard fuzz maybe for something a little bit different? (the fuzz in the Ibanez/Mica/Bruno fuzz-wau is fantastic...unlike the wau part).
    D*A*M Meathead would also be a good 'un.

16. Artur_I_Tis

Artur_I_Tis Member

How about Devi Ever fuzzes?

17. SHM

SHM Member

Tonefactor Huckleberry works for me.

18. Cussion

Cussion Member

My P90s (Antiquities) can sound a bit wooley and bassy with fuzzes.

I like P90s with silicon and germanium boosters, though.

Steve Hackett used a Marshall Supa Fuzz with minihumbuckers (LP) I think. Not the same thing really, but it sounded quite good.

19. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Fuzz Face
    Swollen Pickle (for Muff kinda tones that will cut through)
    Octave Fuzz

20. Dale

Dale Member

The ones I like are Skreddy Screw Driver, Skreddy Lunar Module, Keeley Fuzz Head and Tonefactor (Mojo tom) Huckleberry.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009