Which Germino for the best Zeppelin tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dangeroso, Jan 31, 2012.

1. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Club 40? Classic 45? Lead 55LV?

2. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

good question...

3. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

for closest, i think it has got to be the HR100.

but i am sure club40 and 55LV going do just fine with it also...i dont think the jtm45 tones are really the 'right' ones for LZ...there is a reason why most clips of that circuit that show LZ are doing Since I've Been Loving You :)

4. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

That's true, but I thought Page played a 100W Marshall in The Song Remains the Same (movie, not song).

5. ufguy73

he did - thats why i would say the 100w HR. though, come to think of it, i dont think he was partial to el34's?

i just meant that SIBLY is one of the more bluesy LZ numbers so it sort of fits in better with the jtm45 vibe where things are not going to be as tight...you dont see many jtm45 clips doing whole lotta love/heartbreaker/nobdy's fault but mine/etc.

6. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Good point. What I've noticed in some of the Germino clips I've heard is that the lead tones on some of the Germinos are reminicent to me of the lead sound in TSRTS, and to your point, the 100W HR may be the closest to getting there.

7. ufguy73

i know greg himself recommends the HR for LZ...but that is a lot of amp there! beautiful tone im sure.

from what i have heard, the c40 and 55LV do great too - im sure some owners while chime in soon...i would be pretty confident with the 55lv, if i didnt get the HR100 for some reason.

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I'm no LZ historian but, based on everything I've read about Page and can discern from growing up with that music and listening to it for decades, I believe the HR100 is the closest thing to what Page used on most of the historic recordings...where he used Marshalls at all, that is.

9. Cado

Cado Member

I'll go against the grain & say that id doesn't matter much. Marshall's became his live amp of choice in '72. Before that he mainly used Hiwatts from late '69, or thereabout. Studio amps are all over the map, go with the one that best suits your needs. I'm sure they are all great choices.

10. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Any one of them would do. It just depends on what song you want to do. There are several different Zep tones. Interestingly enough, the lead55 clips on the Germino website showcase Zep tunes. I can get many of the thicker tones from the first two albums on my C45, but I think one can't go wrong w/ the Fillmore or HR100.

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

But, did he use '72s and later or the late 60s Marshalls? They can sound pretty different, although I do tend to agree that both can probably be dialed in to get LZ live 70s tones.

12. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Page states that he started using Marshalls in his backline in '70. That would mean the classic 1959 circuit as they were in '69.

13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Modded with KT88s...

14. scott

scott Member

Any good Marshall lead will do if you have the hands. I saw a tribute band once and the guy was using a single channel JCM 800 and he was nailing it. He knew all the licks though and had pages "touch" down.

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I recently saw one too and the guitarist was using a JCM800 and also nailed the vibe quite well!

16. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I went to see a Zep act called 'Let's Zep!' last year. Damn good they were too, and the 'Jimmy' was playing thru a Marshall Vintage Modern head with a 2X12 cab and killing it. Dead nut's HTWWW tone IMO. Just goes to show...

He did look like Paul weller in a black wig though, but thru closed eyes it all came together! :D

17. ufguy73

i used to have a VM - with the right pickups it can absolutely nail LZ