which Gibson 335 has the 50's rounded necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulreedsmith, Jan 28, 2015.

1. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Looking for a lower priced (used probably of course) Gibson 335 with a fat neck. Any years I need to look for or do they split production on each model and make some 60's and some 50's?
    Tell me what to look for please. :huh Don't really want the slim profile 60's neck so much and sorry if I missed the '335 threads' where this was discussed. :bounce
    thanks in advance people :cool::munch

2. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Most economical option (if you're set on a Gibson) is the Fat Neck ES 335. Discontinued now, but you can still find NOS in some stores. They also occasionally pop up used and go for about the same price as a regular 335. Other option is to pony up some dough and get a reissue.

3. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

R59 is one option. I, too, wanted a large-neck 335. After a fair amount of looking, the R59 was my choice. It was, unfortunately, an expensive choice, as well.

4. americananalog

americananalog Member

It's frustrating. If you want a Gibson with a really fat neck you gotta pay thousands.

5. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Probably the most reasonable will be either the Rusty Anderson Signature 335 or Dave Grohl Signature for new ones. Try looking for a used 59 Historic 335 here in the tGP Emporium.

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

A '59 Historic or the recent Memphis 335TD VOS has the big 50s neck, very close... The '59 is bigger at 1st fret, other than that very close.

7. jecars

jecars Member

As posted already, the ES-335 Dot Fat Neck was Memphis-manufactured from 2008 to 2012. If you are not in a huge hurry, search for these and your reward is that they can be had for ~$2K. If you can't spare the search time, then you are looking at a Reissue and be prepared to pay double.

I was rewarded in my search last year, and really enjoy my 2012 Dot Fat Neck. BTW, the specs are still available on the Gibson website, just type Dot Fat Neck. It's a great guitar, as are ES-335's in general.

8. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Another option that is similar to the 59 RI is the 2009 50th Anniversary ES335. Similar to the 59 RI but made in Memphis. It took me a couple years to find the right 335 for the same reasons as you (more reasonably priced and fat neck). They may be hard to find, but one to keep your eye open for.

9. RJLII

RJLII Member

I got a Memphis "Fat Neck" version in 2011. It's a really nice guitar. It had a larger neck than the '59 reissue the retailer also had and was much lower in price. Other than that you can't tell the two apart. Both have the long guard, vintage style tuners, ABR1 bridge, etc. I've seen them on the emporium and elsewhere in the last few months.

[​IMG]

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Or the 2008 50th Anniversary 1958 version, which is what I have, nice fat neck, maybe not quite as fat as some of the Historic 59s I've played, but close enough. Fewer of them made than the 59 version the next year, as I recall, and only in sunburst, but they are out there. Great guitar.

[​IMG]

bluesjuke likes this.
  11. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I you're diligent you can find 'normal' models with fatter necks. My 63 reissue measures 0.860 > 1.000 at the 1st and 12th, so not a baseball neck, but reasonably meaty.

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

I really like fat neck guitars. But I didn't have tones of money to drop on a semi hollow so I bought a Gibson ES333. It has a fairly chunky 60's style neck which I found pretty comfortable. I usually don't get along with the 60's carve at all. They can be had used for around $1,200. Try one you might like it.

13. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

If you don't want to flux the bucks for a Gibson, the Epiphone ES335 Pro has a nice fat neck.

14. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

I wish Gibson never made the 60's Slim necks. They feel like toothpicks to me. Most of my Gibsons are all 50's neck profiles.

bluesjuke likes this.
  15. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I too wanted a fat neck 335. The problem is that I really don't like Gibson's '59 necks. I had one on an R9 and I had trouble with it. I think it has a lot to do with the amount of shoulder Gibson uses on it's fat necks. Then one day, I played a REAL '59 ES-345. The neck was killer. Fat, but very comfortable. The KEY is the "soft V."

Since then I got a Gil Yaron Burst with that kind of killer soft V '59 neck. To finally satisfy my desire to get a 335 Dot Neck without having to spend $30,000 on the real thing, I had Ken McKay build me one. It turned out fantastic!!