• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Gibson Firebird would I like? Wanting a fat neck...

jkcrowell

I searched and I couldn't find any good information about which of the various Firebirds have a nice fat neck profile. I'm looking for something like a 58 Historic Les Paul though a 59 profile would be just fine as well. 60 profile just will not cut it.

I'd like humbuckers over P-90s. I'd prefer at least two pickups if not three. I'd prefer larger frets though that can always be changed. And I wouldn't mind a non reversed body, especially if the balance were better. But I don't prefer non reversed either.

So, is there a Firebird like that out there? I'd really like to check one out as I've always loved the looks.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Custom Shop non reverse Firebird red w/2 Burstbuckers I bought from Daves guitar a few years back. It had a really large neck profile like an old Les paul Jr. from the 50`s.

Rumblefish

Firebirds have mini humbuckers.Not P90's.The current mini hums are awful.S.D. and Lollar make correct mini buckers which sound great.The Firebird is a 60's guitar so they're all gonna have slimmer necks.

jda

reverse or non-reverse? All regular production reverse firebirds that I have seen have the 60s neck. Some custom shop reverse firebirds have fat necks.

Rumblefish

NNon reverse furbird has 3 p90's.When I think Firebird,I think the reverse.
Both very cool and good value for the bucks.

SG John

The '76 "Bicentennial" Birds have big round necks similar to a fifties profile. Mine does, and a friend of mine had one that had the same neck shape.

Griz

I had a "bicentennial" ('76) reissue Firebird years ago. By far the fattest neck of any electric guitar I've ever owned. Great tone, a bit hard for me to play.

jkcrowell

Would possibly a dual humbucker non-reverse be the closest to what I'm looking for? Are they a little better balanced than the standard Firebirds?

Knucklehead

You might want to look for a '98 Historic RFB, those seem to have nice fat necks, the regular USA Production models have thinner necks.

rastus

The Bicentennial ones have fat necks, as do the CS reissue historics. Most USA 5s have a slim neck. I have a 2006 Fbird 7 with a Fat neck, but I have seen them with a slim 60's neck, best to try before you buy on a recent 7.

I have owned original 60's birds as well as a 72 Medallion, they have slim fast necks, but more rounded, not as flat as the USA 5's generally have.

Griz

Would possibly a dual humbucker non-reverse be the closest to what I'm looking for? Are they a little better balanced than the standard Firebirds?
Non-reverse might balance a bit better. Don't know how much better.

My dual pickup FB (reverse) had neck dive. It's the banjo tuners. And the neck's mass, I'm sure. Worth the hassle, though.

:dude

Trending Topics