Which Gibson for me?

Which Gibson?

• Total voters

Iviborghi

Hi folks! I'm looking for a new guitar and I have a good budget (under 3000) and I'd like to buy I gibson, I'm a strat man but I'm in love with the punch of a good humbucker. I play classic rock blues. I don't know which model to consider, it's a really personal choice but I'd like to have some general info such as "this guitar is not worth it" or "this one does not stay in tune" etc. I'm in love with the sg vibrola look and it is my first choice, but in the last years this model had some big problems of tuning, anyone has tried it? My second choice is the es339, I played it in a store and really appreciated it, wonderful sound and good for rock and blues. To me the les paul seems to be darker but never tried an high range one. There are some other models such as the 355, 349 etc..
Obviously there are also the beautiful 335 but I'm looking for something smaller.

I know that my doubts are really personal but I'd like to know what do you think about the gibson "high" range guitar.

webs

Silver Supporting Member
With any of these, "worth it" or "stays in tune" is going to come down to the specific instrument, not the model. I understand that it's hard to choose, but as you say it's very personal. The answers you get here are going to be informed by personal opinion just as much as yours might be, but they'll be coming from people who aren't you. Keep that in mind.

Is there no chance you can go to a shop and play at least a few similar models next to each other? You should at the very least be able to narrow it down to a semihollow or a solidbody. Personally I think buying a Gibson sight unseen is a gamble even when you know what you want. There is so much variation in them that even the model doesn't always mean a lot. A Studio might tend to not be as nice as a Traditional, which might tend to not be as nice as a Reissue, but a sample of one random example of each could just as easily come out completely backwards from that. It's not consistent enough, IMO, to use such broad terms for most of the models in your price range.

I wanna say the ES-339 since hollows and semi hollows are my favorites and since your looking for more punch, an Sg is the ticket. I played a strat and a Sg in a trio for a bit. To me, the Sg always cut through the mix better. It’s like I didn’t need to fight with the Sg as must as the Strat. The Sg just cut right through and made everything easier because the band mix was just right for what I was doing at the time.

seantk

Silver Supporting Member
If you can find one, try a Gibson Midtowwn. I own a 2015 model and it is great. It is a semi hollow body guitar, but it still has that gibson growl.

Alse1829

If you haven’t had some good play time with a 335, I’d say give that a fair shot. I didn’t think I would like the larger body either, but after I took the chance on one that I was offered a really good deal on it has become one of my favorite and most comfortable guitars to play (sitting or standing).
Just food for thought.

Steadfastly

They are all quite different so I would go and play at least one of each and see which one you prefer.

With so many guitars out there, why Gibson? Are you looking at new or used?

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Gibson vibrolas more in how they affect the sound compared to a stoptail (which I also have), more so than actually using it. People do use it though and it is possible. Keep in mind it will sound a bit airier than a stoptail. I've had great luck with SGs staying in tune, but others may have had trouble, so try it first if you can.

Iviborghi

Does it HAVE to be a Gibson?
I'm quite oriented on gibson but I consider every solution.
It's a "gift" for my degree so I'm looking for something that can last forever;) I considered also the luthier solution but It's hard to test the guitar in advance...
Do you have any suggestion? I read about Collings guitar, they seems to be really good guitars and not so hard to find in my country..

Yamaha 350

I'm quite oriented on gibson but I consider every solution.
It's a "gift" for my degree so I'm looking for something that can last forever;) I considered also the luthier solution but It's hard to test the guitar in advance...
Do you have any suggestion? I read about Collings guitar, they seems to be really good guitars and not so hard to find in my country..
Schecter Solo. As good as any Gibson and cheaper.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
For high 2s and maybe less if youre patient you can pick up a nice norlin era lp. Imo way better than todays stuff.

Or better yet and for about $1000 a 70s or 80s ibanez or yamaha copy

I love my Les Paul and really haven’t bonded with any other Gibson’s over the years. So on that note I’d say look at an r7 or r8 custom shop Les Paul. You can have a plain top for sub 3k and they’re excellent guitars in my experience. Would recommend buying in person or from a shop with a good return policy as each guitar is gonna feel real different.

Catatafish

Silver Supporting Member
I have no allegiance or disdain for any company and I can't imagine not having a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Custom in my stable.

Nick Fotis

My suggestion: try various models from each family. There are so many variants that may be impossible to buy sight unseen and be happy.

I think that a Les Paul should complement nicely your Strat (depends on neck shape and weight). Mine is a Tribute 'worn brown', with Ultra Modern Weight relief, so it's not as heavy as a Traditional, and the result is a quite 'friendly' Les Paul. The neck is not as thick as some models, but not as thin as shredder guitars.

I own also an SG (Future Tribute). She's quite different than the LP (with more bass, surprisingly - I suspect that the previous owner had done some humbucker setup too near the strings, I may have to lower these a bit). The neck is nicely thicker than my LP, ergonomics are quite different - the neck feels too long and the body positioned to the right compared to the LP. She will need some setup I guess in order to tame the PUs.

Also, I have an ES-335 Studio. Quite big and unwieldy for playing sitting, with a surprisingly slim neck. Feels heavier than the LP, despite being semi-hollow. The ES-339 might be easier to handle.

From these, I prefer the LP, she's the friendliest of the three and the easiest to sound nice (bought new, didn't bother with a setup). I selected between her and an Epiphone LP Ultra III (which had too slim neck for my tastes).
YMMV, of course.

N.F.

Trending Topics