Which Gibson Les Pauls have ebony boards?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kselbee, Jul 16, 2008.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've got a studio (about a 2004 I think) with an ebony board and have just come to prefer ebony. I'd like to get a "nicer" LP... maybe a standard or traditional or something like that, but don't see any options for ebony. Which other Gibson LPs have ebony (other than custom)? Also, does anyone know when the studios became weight relieved? Mine is heavy!

2. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I doubt your studio has an ebony board unless it was part of some limited run. Studios and Standards have Rosewod, Customs have Ebony.

any variance from the above is typically on custom run instruments.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Studios had ebony boards in the '80s and at least part of the '90s. Also, if I remember right, the white Studios a few years ago came with ebony boards, but no other colors did for some reason.

The limited Standards that came in colors like "Manhattan Blue" and those two other colors had ebony boards and white binding. Can't remember that particular model name, though.

Also, don't the LP Supremes have ebony boards? I think so, but I'm too lazy to look it up. :)

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Customs have them. As Thump said - the "Limited Edition" or LE series had them. Basically a Standard with an ebony board in some cool colors. Also the Les Paul Pros had them as well. They were an LP Deluxe w/P-90s and an ebony board made from 75-82. They are one of my personal favorite models.

5. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Gibson would put ebony f'boards on LP Studios when they had too much "B" or "C" grade ebony - not nice enough for LP Customs, Historics, etc. Once in a while you'll find an ebony board on a Flying V or Explorer as well, though according to Gibson they never did that.
    But hey....it's Gibson......enogh said.

6. uOpt

uOpt Member

All white LP Studios are supposed to have Ebony boards. They do that because the Rosewood bleeds into the white color on the non-bound fretboard.

Gibson pre-produces unpainted Studios and then paints them depending on market demand. When more orders for non-whites come in than expected, pre-fabricated LP Studios originally intended for white are painted whatever. So you get ebony boards on some Studios of any color.

Otherwise I think the LP Custom is what the ebony LP set is, outside special orders and limited runs.

7. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

I have LP Studio Gothic that has an ebony board.
    The Gibson Gothic series all had Ebony boards.

8. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

The Studio Lite came out in '87. It wasn't weight relieved in the current sense. It was routed out and a big block of chromyte (balsa wood) was inserted. I had one and it was nice. I wouldn't trade my Custom for it, but it was nice.

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

For some reason, I'm thinking most if not all Studios had ebony boards in the '80s and part of the '90s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most or all did?

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My Custom Shop Elegant has an ebony board with black pearl abalone inlays.

11. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

My 89 Studio has an ebony fretboard. I have yet to find another Studio that feels as solid as mine. I think they started making them a bit different. The newer ones I pick up feel like they're lighter and cheaper.

12. musicman1

musicman1 Member

my 93 Cherryburst LP standard had an ebony board.

13. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I have a white '96 or '98 LP studio, with an ebony fretboard.

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Really? That's interesting. Is it just a regular 'ole Standard or do you know?

15. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Yes. A regular standard. I have never seen another like that.

16. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

So it sounds like there are plenty of ebony LPs out there, if that answers your question.

17. kselbee

kselbee Member

Well, sorta. But aside from the Customs and some higher ticket items, it doesn't sound like there's another standard production run where I can get ebony... just luck of the draw.

18. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

There's this one

[​IMG]

A friends brother had one way back when. I didn't care for it all that much but I didn't play with it so who knows what it's capable of.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  19. kherman

kherman Member

[​IMG]

The Classic Custom has an ebony board.

20. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

There's a model that just came out a few years ago that was essentially a standard with an ebony board. I can't recall the name, but it came in either blue or red.