• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Greenback do you prefer in this clip?

Which do you prefer?

• Heritage G12M

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Marshall G12C

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
Owned two different 4x12 cabs with the Heritage G12M's in them and I didn't care for those speakers at all. Haven't tried the G12C's.

I liked the Heritage G12M over the G12C in the clip you posted, but like I said above, I didn't care for the Heritage G12M's when I owned them.

My favorite Celestion Greenback is the Standard Reissue 25 watt G12M currently made in China.

Last edited:

pold

Owned two different 4x12 cabs with the Heritage G12M's in them and I didn't care for those speakers at all. Haven't tried the G12C's.

I liked the Heritage G12M over the G12C in the clip you posted, but like I said above, I didn't care the Heritage G12M's when I owned them.

My favorite Celestion Greenback is the Standard Reissue 25 watt G12M currently made in China.
exactly what I think, theStandard reissue 25 watt G12M currently made in China is my favourite, pure classic vintage punch with the mids straight on your face, something that no other speaker can do. Many people still think that a Heritage G12M will sound similar. They have a similar name, but they sound different.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
It is interesting to read about the speakers used in various amps used by Hendrix. As far as I have found, by 1969 HEndrix did not want any low power speaker in any amp. His new Marshall cabs for the tour that year were gutted of the 20 watters with 75 watt speakers that were being used in teh Thomas Organ co. Super Beatle. OR...at leat that is what I have read as a quote from the man who did the work setting those amps up for the tour. I find that interesting, though, because I had a Super Beatle that came stock with Alnico Silver Bulldog Celestions. I still have two of those speakers.....and should not have sold the other two. Those are my favorite Celestions.
I don't like either one of the speakers in the contest here, so I did not vote. I am a fan of the Emi GB128, too...over many years and in many amps. Emi used to build that speaker in the 16 ohm ....GB1216...and wills til do so on special order..and that special order cost will still be less than any Celestion.
IF a 'Made in China' Celestion cost about 1/5 of the normal cost, they would then be fairly priced...but I still haven't heard one in person that I would use at any price point. Ommv....obviously. the most modern Celestion I have heard that I like is the Made in England G10...special order for the amp...in the Fender Pro Sonic.....late '90's. Fwiw, a Weber Blue Pup ceramic creates the exact sonics in a side by side comparison with that particular G10.

LesPaulPlayer

A good comparison test would be between the standard Celestion G12M Greenback Reissue and the Marshall G12C. My guess is that the differences would be much smaller.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I know this is an older thread, but I like the second speaker, the G12C, a lot better. Note that it’s the same speaker as the Mojotone Watchtower.

I’ve owned a Maz 18 for a long time and never liked how it sounded with greenbacks, but I do like it with the stiffer sound of a 65w Scumback.

The Heritage ones may be truer to the original. Then the Classics, MIC or MIE, needn't be pushed to sound smooth in the presence range.

So preference here would largely have a few things to do with power, volume and cab design. We could add level of drive and a few other factors as well.

Trending Topics