Which Greenbacks....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tookermel, Jan 4, 2008.

1. tookermel

tookermel Member

For Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. 2X12 combo? Thanks...

-Tookermel

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Take your pick:

- Standard Reissues (Which is probably what I would do).
    - Heritage Series
    - Mojotone GV-12M
    - Emi GB12 or Private Jacks
    - Weber 1225, Silver Bell
    - Scumback M75's

3. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

You do know that a Greenback can be not only G12M style but also G12H style speaker?

I would put something G12H style to open back combo.

4. tookermel

tookermel Member

I was actually thinking the G12H (for the extended low-end, right?), but also had the Silver Bell's in mind. Jamison, that the Chinese Reissues you're talking about? What's the best source to get those? Thanks in advance....

-Tookermel

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im a big fan of the plain old reissue G12M25 Greenbacks...I use one in my 62 Deluxe which is a 1x12 open back and really like it...a G12H30 would have more bass but I like the M25 just fine. A pair of them would do nicely in a Maz IMO...

6. tookermel

tookermel Member

Thanks, Wingwalker!

-Tookermel

7. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I think the H lacked mids big time in the open back, I prefer the g12m

8. mmorse

mmorse Member

Been through a bunch in my Avatar open back. The re-issue GBs fall apart in the low end when pushed in an open back. Scumback H75s will give you everything a GB will and MUCH more.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The reissue greenbacks are fine, get some from Avatar, think they have some deals on Ebay right now also.

The "H" magnet speakers are just that, heavy magnets and to me are not at all what Tooker was asking about. The "greenbacks" that everyone refers to and love have the 35 oz magnets, end of story.

I'm not A G12H fan at all except for the Scumback H75's.

And all the talk about them not working an an open back cab is relative to your cab and gear - so for me, and Greg Germino as well, that statement is BS. I prefer them to G12H's in any application.

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

BS? Well excuse me! I had reissue GBs in my Avatar which is semi open back and the bass farted out like crazy when pushed. They compressed so badly there was a noticeable volume drop. That happened using a 2204 with the master no higher than 5. That did not happen with ANY other speaker I had in there. No BS, actual hands on experience.

I put the same speakers in a closed back 412 and they did not exhibit that behavior.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Why try to climb the fence when the gate's already open?

12. tookermel

tookermel Member

Hmmm....well I definitely don't want the low-end to be flabby, even when pushed....that's why I want ceramics in the amp. Should I look elsewhere, or am I ok? The amp will probably not be past halfway pushed 95% of the time, so, it's probably all good. Thanks...

-Tookermel

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Tooker, I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about man. You'll be pushing 50 watts of Greenback with an 18 watt amp. And the Maz's are bright and thin sounding compared to what I was pushing with my Orange RV50 which is big, full, warm, punchy, lots of mids, some say dark, etc.

14. tookermel

tookermel Member

Hmmmm.....how bright and thin? Or did you just mean compared to the RV50? I just wanted a lower wattage Marshally sounding combo, which is also why I wanted the Greenbacks. Do I need to search for another amp? The Z's are just more affordable for me.....

-Tookermel

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Didn't you have an Orange?

In my personal opinion, the Dr. Z Maz 18 (and 38) is far from Marshall land. In fact, I would take a Fender Deluxe Reverb over a Maz anyday; esp. when it come to clean tones. Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just my opinion when I tried them - take it with a grain of salt.

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

You know what Dr Z sounds really nice with a pair of greenbacks? The Z28. Especially if the pi in the z28 is a 12ax7 instead of the stock 5751. I kind of miss the z28 seeing as I have a cab with a pair of greenbacks. I do prefer them closed back though, but they're pretty decent in open back too if they're not being over-powered.

taco

17. tookermel

tookermel Member

Actually it's my brother's Orange...I'm just tryin' to sell it for him. What's a more Marshally low-powered, lower-priced, PTP amp?

-Tookermel

18. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Try some g12-65's!

19. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I don't think there is anyway an 18 watt amp will push a 2X12 hard enough for any of that.

I've got Weber's 1225 with the pre-rola doping. I'm very happy with them, but GB type speakers are not efficient and will be more quiet than the V30/G12H30 combo.

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

PTP? Why? I've honestly never played a PTP amp that I was impressed with...well, except for /13. Have you ever played a Budda SD18 or SD30?
    Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV50Blue, Fender SuperSonic, there's tone of options. Have you ever played a Marshall DSL 401 combo? You'de be surprised. I'de take any of these of a Maz, esp. if you are looking for any kind of "M" tone.

Orange: PCB
    Bogner: PCB
    Budda: PCB
    Fender: PCB
    Marshall: PCB