Which guitar best for playing stuff like Metallica?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yoshiii, Jul 10, 2019.

1. DonP

DonP Member

So only the good stuff LOL!

I'd rig more important than guitar. I can get the tone with my many varied rigs. Some pedal, some amp only. A sealed back cab is a must IMO.

After that, you need a guitar with a pickup that can growl in the upper bass spectrum. I've had good luck with my BB Pro loaded 2002 LP Standard, and a Jackson Kelly loaded with a DD and a Jazz neck. I think an Invader would work, but I don't have an axe loaded with one currently. A DiMarzio X2N is a good choice too.

2. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

A cheap route would be getting a used Epiphone Goth Explorer.. toss some EMGs in it and call it mission accomplished...

Pidgin English likes this.
  3. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Lol.

Superstrat for lead, Gibby-esque for rhythm. Can’t go wrong.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I had the perfect guitar for you up until recently. Stock ‘86(84 style) explorer with dirty fingers.
    I got kinda close through an old vibrolux reverb, of all things.

Here with my other faux Hetfield piece.

the_Chris, Nebakanezer and StockRock like this.
  5. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Most explorers (and metal-looking guitars in general) have thin, flat and wide necks, which you mentioned you didn’t like.

I would look for any 24.75” scale HH guitar that looks cool and then get a metronome and go practice.

6. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

An ESP with EMGs is a great option.

7. Sean6247

Sean6247 Member

I have used an LTD Horizon with Seymour Duncan JB with good results. I was also playing through a Mesa Roadster and a sealed 4x12.

Mincer likes this.
  8. D|C|M|E

D|C|M|E Member

Good god. Please no more EMG's. No more. By using EMG's for metal you're perpetuating the culture of Toxic Tonality. Its bad. Use old-fashioned PAF style humbuckers (any brand) and be a hero. Try your hardest not to scoop mids. The guitar is a midrange instrument. If you cut a very specific and narrow Q of mids surgically with some sort of EQ pedal, by all means. Sometimes its necessary but make sure you're leaving the surrounding mid frequencies in tact or even boosting them anywhere from slightly to greatly.

Down is a band with killer tone between the two guitarists but mostly Pepper and he definitely has some surgical EQ'ing going on but its definitley not thoroughly scooped. There is plenty of tasty midrange in there and it sounds super rich and could easily be used for more thrashy double picking metal riffs. Some of their songs even feature some thrashy picking here and there and onstage that dude had been mostly using a Gibson semi-hollow (335 maybe?) for the last run of tours before their hiatus. Not my first choice of guitar for that job but he made it work.

Moral of the story: find a tone that makes you feel good when you play the riffs you want to play. If you think you're breaking convention: good. Metal has way too many stale conventions particularly with regard to tone sculpting tools.

9. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

20 years ago I used a Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge through a Marshall. Worked pretty awesome back then.

I think one of the ESP/LTD's (depending on what kind of bread you're looking to spend) Eclipse style guitars would work great. I love the look of the Iron Cross.

10. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes, I made the HUGE mistake of scooping all the mid range when I first started in the 90's. I had a guitar teacher tell me "the mids is where your sound is." Even James has admitted that he uses a lot more midrange these days than he did back on those early albums.

11. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

If you dont mind sig. gear, the ltd snakebyte and the vulture are made to play metallica and thrashy metal.

12. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I think LTD Snakebyte and Vulture look awesome, seems like a no-brainer for what you want.

13. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Sprinkling in the goodness during your regular gigs?

27sauce likes this.
  14. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Id get a flying V!

27sauce likes this.
  15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Hustlin’

Nebakanezer likes this.
  16. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

ESP guitar with EMG’s

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

My ‘71 VR never rocked like that. Right on!

27sauce likes this.
  18. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

Dude wish I saw this earlier. I'm a Metallica freak. I had a LP with the 81/60 emgs. I now have an Ibanez RG with the Fishman Modern set. I can NAIL the tones with this guitar. The only difference is that the fishmans also have a second passive voice that is great for soloing and non Metallica.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and pretend.

(and use cool pedals)

20. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Don’t overthink it...gonna need a double coil and if you gonna do a lot of the downstroke rhythm stuff consider a fixed bridge. Bout all there is to it. Turn it up and let er rip!