Which Guitar Brands Don't Have Good Second Hand Value?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by binge, Feb 4, 2012.

1. binge

binge Member

Which guitar brands do you guys feel don't have good second hand value?

2. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Pretty much any brand that doesn't say "Gibson" on the headstock.

3. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

All of them, really. When you check eBay, you can see that most brands fall off sharply. A few brands have a rep for low resale, but truth is that they're all about even. There's some variance depending on the desirability of the model and features, but brand by brand, they're really all about the same.

My one caveat to this is collectible stuff, or stuff soon to be collectible. But for every R0X that holds it's value, there's an SG Menace or Gothic that doesn't.

As an example, Carvin has a negative rep based on $300 DC200s in pawn shops for years, but a quick perusal of the CT and CS market shows that these models hold their value very well - unless they have custom options or colors that are kinda wacky. Jackson and Ibanez have models all over the place, so you see Dinkys and RGs at rock bottom prices, but Prestiges and Soloists hold their value quite well. So it's a bit of a mirage, in my opinion.

4. clicktone

clicktone Supporting Member

5. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

True. And I'm sure in about 5-10 years the Gibson brand will finally lose its name/market-value as the bad Q.C. catches up with the casual guitar population.

Overall though, besides the economy, the declining 2nd hand values have less to do with guitar makers' quality control, and more with the complete overstock of used instruments on ebay and craigslist. You have hundreds of "like new" guitars to pick from on ebay, from almost any maker. It's made it easy for everyone to just lowball left and right, and one person sees a ridiculous deal go through, and all of a sudden the "going value" of something is thrown out the window. Selling GOOD equipment because I don't need it and sooner could use the cash (can't afford to stockpile)... Has been a nightmare the last few years. Taking ridiculous losses, and the trends move like sine waves, although more erratic. So then I try shopping around more for 2nd hand things to not take losses, but the sad thing is that there's just a lot of crap being pawned off because of the electronics are more prone to problems and necks are warping more, frets are softer... Chances are Little Johnny is selling his PCB tube amp because there are some issues... or ditching his Fender Tele because it plays like crap because the frets are toast after 1 year.

I'm having a hard time imagining any current commercial guitars holding/increasing value in the future like a Fender/Gibson from the old eras.. nothing like 100% nitro-finished, old hard woods, old American craftsmanship. Even the fanciest guitars nowadays like PRS are poly, and the "wear and tear" is less graceful than on a naturally "reliced" Fender or Gibson.

Just wack nowadays... If you're gonna buy an expensive new guitar $1500-3000, 9 times out of 10, I just don't get why anybody would buy a name-brand (Gibson, PRS, Fender, etc.) over a Kirn, Suhr, etc. something from a tiny shop or builder.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Good point. It's cyclical too. Original 70s BC Rich guitars are commanding top dollar these days. Some of those shred guitars from the 80s are now worth a lot more than they were two decades ago. CBS Strats have, surprisingly, jumped up in value as well. Back in the 1980s, you couldn't give them away.

You are right about some of the recent "misfit" Gibsons as well.

7. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

Most anything made in Asia or Mexico.

USA Made - Heritage, Carvin, G & L

8. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

In 5-10 years Gibsons will probably be "Handcrafted in China" and the USA-made ones will be worth a mint!

9. goodwater

goodwater Member

Peavey stuff doesn't seem to hold its value very well in these parts

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

11. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

all brands execpt Gibson, Fender and Martin. Even with these brands, there is a drop off from new retail pricing, which tends to remain stable for about 20-25 years before pricing starts to appreciate.

12. binge

binge Member

I don't think Ibanez hold their value either.

13. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Wrong. MIJ does just fine. For example, Gretsch.

14. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

Wrong ????????? Did you even read it ? I said "Most"

15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Seems like it is some of the best stuff that has no resale value.
    You can't sell a used Squier Strat right now, but they are fantastic guitars.
    Even seems that guys who like paying for headstock names are now backing off on paying anything near the new cost for them.

16. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

That's because new ones are so cheap. And you get a warranty --and a fretboard free of someone else's grimy mojo.

17. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

Every time I see one of these for sale on Craigslist I hit the prohibited button out of principal.

18. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Which is what makes their USA models a good players/buyers value.

19. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

cept the Wolfgangs

20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The guitars that always stood out to me as having very poor resale even when times were good are Hamer, Robin and G&L. All great guitar and you certainly never wanted to pay full price for them. They were serious bargains on the used market.