Which guitar has been with you the longest?

Jonny D

What is your veteran guitar?

Feel free to break out acoustic and electric if that helps.

For me:
Acoustic: 1997 Taylor 514c with me since 1998 (16 years or so)
Electric: 1995 Epiphone Emperor Regent purchased new (19 years or so)

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I have my first acoustic -- a Japanese Epiphone bolt-neck steel string FT-145 bought new in the early '70s. Right now it has flatwounds and a Strat pickup installed in the soundhole. I keep it next to the computer and record demos with that guitar functioning for acoustic sounds, electric sounds (through amp modelers) and bass (through an octave pedal model).

serial

The one on the front cover (1976 Hamer Standard) is the one I've had the longest. I don't play it very much though because it's in stupid clean condition.

Owned it since '97.

Last edited:

dez

'76 Strat which I purchased in 1984 and still use at gigs...

1984 -

2013 -

natmiss

Acoustic: 1971 Martin D28 Purchased new in '72
Electric: 1956 Les Paul Special Purchased in 1974

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
'61 strat, purchased in 1975. And a '43 Martin 0-18 bought in 1978.
MD

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I got my 1992 Legacy from a friend in 1993.

I purchased my CFox acoustic new in 1999, had it stolen in 2009 and got it back in 2013.

kenneth

Electric: 1989 American standard strat, truss rod now at end of adjustment, sadly
Acoustic: ca 1990 guild d4, still play daily.

Oh, yeah, both bought new.

guitarmook

I have a squier strat that's been heavily modified, that I won in a radio giveaway in 1988.

I have a cheap 'memphis' guitar, setup for slide that was a gift in about 1989.

I have an early 52 RI tele (Apr 83) that I bought used in 1990 that I still gig with occasionally.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
My '58 National Town and Country, purchased around 2007. The start of my oddball vintage collection.

jdr1014

My oldest guitar is a 12 string "vintage series" Ibanez englemann spruce/rosewood I got in 1972 after finishing college. Ibanez was a new brand carried by a small local shop back then, and it was the best sounding and playing 12 string I could afford at the time and I loved it. Unfortunately it had a truss rod failure and was shipped back to the factory in Japan for repair. Sadly, it seemed to have gotten lost in transit and we figured it was gone forever. I was elated when the shop called nearly a year later and said "guess what just showed up?" Yup - my Ibanez 12 string showed up at the shop with a new neck. Several years later I got away from playing and that guitar sat in a cheap chipboard case for almost 10 years with the strings at full tension. Strangely, the neck remained straight as an arrow! I still have it and play it occasionally. Doesn't sound like my Jumbo Taylor 355ce twelve, but still pretty decent though.

As for electrics, my oldest current guitar is a 1996 Fender Lone Star strat that I purchased when I got back into playing electrics. I had a mid 60's Fender strat and BF Super Reverb amp "back in the day" that I sold to finish college. Frankly, I have several USA strats now that are better than that one was and also have a mint 74 SF Super Reverb that's better than my old BFSR. Nostalgia is nice but old gear isn't necessarily better IME.

Hackubus

Supporting Member
1979 Les Paul custom that I bought Valentine's Day 1994. lol yeah, it was my Valentine's Day gift to myself. But hey, it was only $400 and ridiculously clean!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
My '03 Gibson Historic LP '54 Custom. Such a great sounding/playing guitar, with the all mahogany body, ebony board, and A5 P-90 neck and std. P-90 bridge. A little weighty at 9.75 lbs., but I'll never part with it.

I have older guitars, but that's the one I've owned longest. Bought it new.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
My acoustic: 1973 BC B28 made by. Bernie Rico Sr. Still have it, with Braz Rosewwod
Electric: 1983 Gibson ES 335 dot. Still have it.
Brought them new.

custom53

My 1975 Ovation Breadwinner.. Bought it new and still have it.. Near mint condition.. Haven't played it in years though..

rastus

73 Tele custom-bought in 87; the neck is on it's last re-fret. The neck is within a hair of the end of it's adjustment. Funny, the only original part on it is the wood of the neck and the truss rod-everything else including the body has been replaced in the last 28 years