1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Guitar Mag do you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek2615, Mar 11, 2006.

1. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Are there any worth subscribing to?

2. threm

threm Member

After internet and broadband I lost gradually interest in both recording and guitar mags. Why?
    Because there are more gear reviews, news, discussions, interviews, tutorials, etc, etc, etc, etc, available on the internet than I`ll ever be able to digest.

Then again, the feeling of sitting down with a good cup of coffee and a mag is different than sitting before a monitor.

3. Python

Python Member

I've always been partial to Guitar Player. Right in front of me is the 1975 Guitar Player special issue on Jimi Hendrix. It's very cool!

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar.

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Over the years I've lost interest in all the American mags, except for Vintage Guitar. To actually improve my skills I've gone with two UK magazines. Guitarist and Guitar Techniques.

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

guitar player. i found that one to be the best.

7. trucks

trucks Member

Musicians Hotline. How can you go wrong with a mag that has articles by Gene Baker, Robert Keeley, etc.?

8. whitehall

whitehall Member

I spend too much time in Borders and B&N. Now that the American mags have cd's in them they are expensive as single issue. However the subs are dirt cheap. I get Guitar One , Guitar World, and GP. All three subs ran less than the price of a few large Latte's. So what's not to like ?

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I tend to prefer magazines where the artists talk about their music with a bit of gear thrown in here and there.

I enjoy reading Harp.

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Harp is the best music magazine out right now. As far as guitar mags go I haven't bought one since I was 18. They don't ever seem to appeal to me. It always seems like the same handful of guys on the covers, songs I don't care to learn, and advertising from people I don't buy from. That said, I'd LOVE to find a great one so I'm keeping these suggestions in mind.

11. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Funny, I am just the opposite. Love the gear, can't stand most of the artists. After 40 odd years rockers especially have become so cliche. But I love gear talk. There was a magazine back in the 90's that I though was great. Guitar Gear(?) I think is what it was called. Something like that. Gave rig diagrams and such. That was a great mag, but I must have been the only one that thought so, because it folded after a short time. Since then I have had Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar. As the subscriptions run out, I have been occasionally slow to renew. There is only occasionally new info in there for me, as so much is available on the net. But they do keep me up on trends that I wouldn't normally come across in my neck of the net woods, so I will keep them coming for a little while longer anyway.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Vintage Guitar. On my 9th year now. I miss the old Guitar Player format and interview style. My first one was the December '78 Bill Wyman cover. The very next isue was Ace Frehley cover with a very long article. I was a huge KISS fan at that point! I also love the March '79 Joe Perry cover and the July '79 Mick Ralphs cover-two of my fav GP's ever. A few years ago I was in a local Guitar Shop in Philly suburbs buying a Gretsch Country Gent(1967 and long ogne!) and the dealer had a stack of GP's. In the pile was the classic 1977 Jimmy Page cover-he gave it to me since I was spending $$ on the guitar. Very cool and it is now in a plastic liner bag so it doesn't disintegrate. VG is great for all the cool articles, a lot of ads to vintage stuff and the monthly calendar of Guitar Shows.

13. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

None. Back in the 80's, I got tired of the ridiculous hero worship and unecessary rhetoric that GP used to heap on guitarists. Especially with wankers like Yngwie. Don't get me wrong, Yngwie is technically as talented as they come - but I can take him for all of about 2 mins. Give me David Gilmour any day. Quality - not quantity :)

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I used to get them all - from GP, to Guitar for the Practicing Musician, to Guitar One, to ToneQuest, to Vintage Guitar, and on and on. Even the English one that came with the CD and cost like $7 US.

Now? None. For the past year, nothing... and I don't miss it a bit.

If I need/want a gear fix.... I use the net. Forums like this one get me my fill. Just my opinion.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I get "Frets," "Acoustic Guitar," and "Fingerstyle Guitar." When it comes time to renew I'll think hard about renewing them, as I don't find a lot in them that is interesting to me. I used to get "Guitar Player," but it became somewhat redundant with this site. I do like the lessons in "Guitar Player," but after many years of subscribing they seem to be repeating themselves.

Bryan

16. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

What'dya read on the can??

:p

17. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

I've been subscribing to Guitarist Magazine for 10 years now. It's expensive, but it's well worth every penny.

www.guitarist.co.uk

18. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

The only one I really get anything out of consistently is GuitarTechniques. Dave Kilmeister & Co really pack a lot of lessons and useable information in there.

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love GuitarOne magazine.

A while back, they had an issue called "The complete guide to jazz for rockers". It was a huge article and covered a lot of concepts which was great for me, as at the time I was really getting into jazz.

A lil while later they had one called "The complete guide to country for rockers". Also an awesome article.

Finally, they've had a bunch of shred articles lately with 8 million exercises and warmups to do. Great stuff. (I'm not a shred fan, but I want to perfect it so I can say the ol' line "yeah I can shred, but I don't need to".)

Their regular lessons and guitar playing tips are top notch for a wide variety of subjects and genres, and have really helped me fake it if my band goes into a style that I'm not used to (I have a slew of back issues).

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I still enjoy having a Guitar Player mag in my mail box. It's relaxing... is it always the best info, no... but it's pretty high quality and fun to read after a stressful day.