Which Hendrix-tunes weren't recorded with Marshalls?

Cussion

I'm listening to "Slow Blues", the closing number on the Experience Box.
It sounds like a Vox amp to me. Or maybe an old Fender.. Brownface or something.

I read somewhere that Hendrix went out to buy two small Vox (Conqueror?) amps during his last months in life.. he was going to use these, in stereo, for recording.
Anybody knows more about this?

shoelace

There is a Room Full Of mirrors on the purple box set that he used an Acoustic amp on.
The long Voodoo Chile is a bassman head reportedly. Rainy day, Dream away is a small Fender.The Axis album features Sound city amps, although how many or which tracks are unknown.
Dick Cavett show he used a small Ampeg amp.

There are more for sure...

Cussion

There is a Room Full Of mirrors on the purple box set that he used an Acoustic amp on.
The long Voodoo Chile is a bassman head reportedly. Rainy day, Dream away is a small Fender.The Axis album features Sound city amps, although how many or which tracks are unknown.

Solid State Acoustic? Cool. Probably the same as Albert King used.

KBR

Blonde Showman Amp on Voodoo Chile, the One w/ Steve Winwood on B3.
Twin Reverbs in studios sometimes.

trisonic

I'm listening to "Slow Blues", the closing number on the Experience Box.
It sounds like a Vox amp to me. Or maybe an old Fender.. Brownface or something.

I read somewhere that Hendrix went out to buy two small Vox (Conqueror?) amps during his last months in life.. he was going to use these, in stereo, for recording.
Anybody knows more about this?
"Virtuosos". Deceased before delivery*. Ordered from Macari's.

Think Marshall's in London - anything in New York (incl. Marshalls). A JTM45/100 gives up beautiful cleans too.

* I confess to not being 100% sure as to when these were delivered, if at all - he wanted non-standard speakers

Best, Pete.

Last edited:

anais

Just about all of the material you hear on experience/band of gypsys records were actually recorded on something other than marshall amplifiers. Hendrix liked them live because they were loud and you could stack the cabinets and get direct feedback without having to bend down to the speakers.

Live sound/Pro Audio was nothing the way it is today as when Jimi was around, infact, it wasnt until after his death people started to pay more attention to it (ala the wall of sound, etc). He needed big, loud amplifiers to get his sound through when playing live. he also needed an image, something for people to look at when he was on stage to show them he was larger than life- Marshall. He needed good, versatile tone in the studio- usually fender. His thing in the studio was to get every song to sound different- a lost art for these days that most players cant relate to- even myself at times.

Dude was pure genius.

trisonic

Actually Jimi liked them in the studio too. Were you around then in London? I was and actually met the guy. Fenders (other American amps were even harder) were actually quite hard to come by in London because of the residue Lease/Lend arrangements with the USA dating back to the War.
When he recorded at Kingsway Recorders he was so loud the whole office block above the studios complained en mass. He'd quite happily record a full stack at full volume.

Best, Pete.

shoelace

Just about all of the material you hear on experience/band of gypsys records were actually recorded on something other than marshall amplifiers. Hendrix liked them live because they were loud and you could stack the cabinets and get direct feedback without having to bend down to the speakers.
gl

untrue :nuts

straticus

Does anyone REALLY know the answer to the OP's question?

The "What amp did Jimi use" question gets asked a lot and from what I can tell, everyone is just giving their best guess for an answer. I doubt Eddie Kramer even knows for sure........ unless he still has his studio session notes.

Believe me, I am a HUGE Hendrix fan. But I don't think there's any way to know for sure exactly what amp what he used and on what song he used it. I think the best thing to do at this point is just put on some Jimi and turn it up!

EXP

Supporting Member

Hey Carl, you forgot about the Sunn amps he trashed on the '68 tour, the Twin Reverb he used in the studio, and the Vox AC-15.

Live sound/Pro Audio was nothing the way it is today as when Jimi was around, infact, it wasnt until after his death people started to pay more attention to it (ala the wall of sound, etc). He needed big, loud amplifiers to get his sound through when playing live. he also needed an image, something for people to look at when he was on stage to show them he was larger than life- Marshall. He needed good, versatile tone in the studio- usually fender. His thing in the studio was to get every song to sound different- a lost art for these days that most players cant relate to- even myself at times.

Dude was pure genius.
Your right in that Jimi was constantly experimenting in the studio with sounds and used various amps, pedals, and guitars in order to achieve specific tones he had in his head. The underwater sound he had in head which he referred to as '' jellybread '' he was able to obtain through the Univibe and leslie speaker.

Band of Gypsys was done in the studio? That's news to me.
I think he's referring to the Baggy's rehearsal sessions which were done in the studio. I'm listening to Baggy's right now - Ezy Rider.:phones

Does anyone REALLY know the answer to the OP's question?

The "What amp did Jimi use" question gets asked a lot and from what I can tell, everyone is just giving their best guess for an answer. I doubt Eddie Kramer even knows for sure........ unless he still has his studio session notes.

Believe me, I am a HUGE Hendrix fan. But I don't think there's any way to know for sure exactly what amp what he used and on what song he used it. I think the best thing to do at this point is just put on some Jimi and turn it up!
That sounds good to me! :beer

I don't think Kramer knows for sure either(or remembers for that matter.) He's flipped-flopped so many times about what amp was used on Voodoo Chile.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've read many times that there are so many tracks that are misread in terms of the gear used. In one of the biographies I read about him a few years back, it was talking about how he played many more Gibsons than most people think. He preferred Strats live but many of the tracks people consider staples of the strat sound, were actually done with SGs, LPs, etc. I thought that was pretty interesting...

Wouldn't it be great to have a breakdown of what was played on those classic albums? Its like Clapton and the Firebird he used during Cream - its rare that you hear about that when it was used quite a bit!

In today's world, you can get similar tones at lower volumes and live sound has changed dramatically. I always wonder what people are thinking bringing a full stack (or even a half in some cases) to a small bar gig and run it on "2" all night. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marshall sound right before it breaks up, but you can get that sound other ways.

Oh, what people will do to be "cool"...

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
If memory serves, according to "Bird Lives" he used 6's which are the hardest.
He aged the cane himself using a secret formula passed onto him from his slave grandparents. I think it was voodoo-kane reeds™

Trending Topics