• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which high quality guitar is the most uncool?

binge

Those weird Parker Fly guitars...they scream 00's Eagles cover band to me.
I had a Parker Fly Hardtail in the early 2000s, and it was one of the best guitars I'd ever had. It was rock solid in every aspect. Only thing I hated about it was having to put batteries into it.

The Doper

G&L. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. But they are so not cool.
I'm not convinced Jerry Cantrell even pulled a G&L off.
They are always considered a bargain on the used market because, despite their quality, they just breathe "uncool." Certainly, the headstock doesn't help at all, but G&L's marketing has always been simply awful. I get that their branding is "Post-Fender Leo," but their advertising seems to target 65-year old men. Pics of an aged Leo Fender woodworking, a grey-haired George Fullerton with a melted forearm tattoo strumming a strat, ads touting a Guitar Shorty endorsement? Who, under 60 and outside of Los Angeles, would ever recognize, or even have heard of, Guitar Shorty?
And their models -- an ASAT. After Strat After Tele. Okay, but cut the ties. If it's the future you want to sell, move away from Strat and Tele in your name.
An S-500? What the hell is an S-500? What happened to S 100-400?
Okay, enough. Someone please buy my custom G&L for more than 75% off.

Joe Randazzo

Nice story! However, for the purposes of this thread, I must point out that old beat up USA Epiphones are definitely cool. See David Rawlings for a prominent example.
I agree, beat up old Epiphones are most cool. I suppose a beat up old Harmony, much less so.

erickkuhni

“what’s wrong with a tele for jazz?” - Julien Lage
I prefer solid body guitars and some kind of tailpiece that is attached to the body, even for Jazz. Hollow body jazz guitars tend to have this tin can sound. It is mostly due to the wrap-around tailpiece's I think, because ES-335 doesn't seem to have it as bad. In any case, Tele's and Les Paul's work great for Jazz. I have a tele with a mini-humbucker in the neck and it sounds good to my ears. Plus it's a more comfortable guitar to manage while playing compared to a lot of hollow body jazz guitars.

Gmann1956

Silver Supporting Member
I’m telling you that geriatric Santana and geriatric Joe Walsh are paid models for their respective signature guitars. They got to be famous (and cool) playing Fenders and Gibsons.
So all of a sudden they're uncool 'cause they play PRS? I'm not seeing it!

Gmann1956

Silver Supporting Member
Santana hasn’t sounded good ever since he’s been playing a PRS. His tone was so much better when he played Yamaha and Gibson. That stupid super compressed tone he uses on everything now is completely lifeless.
Wow, I gotta press X to doubt!!! Sorry.

Mikhael

Wow. I have a couple of Parkers, and I *like* the Heritage headstock; it has straighter string pull than their Gibson forbearers. I must be super uncool. Although I don't really care - I go for playability and tones. "Cool" isn't even on the list.

dilver

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not convinced Jerry Cantrell even pulled a G&L off.
They are always considered a bargain on the used market because, despite their quality, they just breathe "uncool." Certainly, the headstock doesn't help at all, but G&L's marketing has always been simply awful. I get that their branding is "Post-Fender Leo," but their advertising seems to target 65-year old men. Pics of an aged Leo Fender woodworking, a grey-haired George Fullerton with a melted forearm tattoo strumming a strat, ads touting a Guitar Shorty endorsement? Who, under 60 and outside of Los Angeles, would ever recognize, or even have heard of, Guitar Shorty?
And their models -- an ASAT. After Strat After Tele. Okay, but cut the ties. If it's the future you want to sell, move away from Strat and Tele in your name.
An S-500? What the hell is an S-500? What happened to S 100-400?
Okay, enough. Someone please buy my custom G&L for more than 75% off.
Exactly. Perfect example of manufacturing organization vs sales and marketing organization. I’m surprised they’ve stayed in business.

kel1030cork

R Neilson's 5 neck. Just kidding but that would be heavy. And his checkerboard explorers are cool but can just anyone play 1 without looking goofy. Love to have 1 but just for display only.

68reissue

R Neilson's 5 neck. Just kidding but that would be heavy. And his checkerboard explorers are cool but can just anyone play 1 without looking goofy. Love to have 1 but just for display only.
Yeah, that guitar is a perfect example of Neilsen’s “embrace the extremely uncool and thereby become cool“ approach, right up there with the flipped brim cap and cardigans. He’s quite the original.

kel1030cork

Yeah, that guitar is a perfect example of Neilsen’s “embrace the extremely uncool and thereby become cool“ approach, right up there with the flipped brim cap and cardigans. He’s quite the original.
But if you found 1 for sale could you use it on stage?

RRfireblade

Santana hasn’t sounded good ever since he’s been playing a PRS. His tone was so much better when he played Yamaha and Gibson. That stupid super compressed tone he uses on everything now is completely lifeless.
Ever since 40+ years ago? Hmm.

Blurillaz

Ever since 40+ years ago? Hmm.
Honestly, yeah. Contrary to this forum, Santana has not really been culturally relevant since the mid-70s outside of daytime tv appearances. I can't even think of a single guitarist under 50 who has cited him as a major influence, he's usually limited to a footnote when talking about the Dorian mode.

Gitrizing

You kind of proved my point, I'm not sure if you get the call of the question.
The point as I understood it was to list great past guitars that aren't "cool" at the moment. As economics are always the ultimate arbiter of what's cool or not, an older guitar currently selling for 8 effin' grand is objectively cool by definition, whatever your personal opinion. Period.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom