Which humbucker for that ZZ Top growl??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Besides a Pearly Gates, which humbucker will give me the "Just Got Paid" and "Jesus Just Left Chicago" thick, raw sound?

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

he recorded "Jesus" using a tele ;)
    Rob

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

You're kidding? He must have been using one hell of an amp to get those single coils to grind!!

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

billy gibbons man, he is tone

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

LaGrange was a hardtail strat. I believe back then lots of tunes were recorded using a 100 watt Marshall, not all but many.

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Someone told me to check out a Rio Grande BBQ pickup. It supposedly is real thick and rude!! Anyone heard of these?

7. jtm622

jtm622 Member

It's more than just a "pickup"... It's the amp and many other considerations. Remember - Gibbons' sound in the studio with a hardtail thru a Fender Twin may not be the same as what you'd get on that rig in a different "acoustical" situation...

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You gotta try a nocaster sometime. It's Gibson chunk with Fender clarity. A good tele can sound amazing doing even full on metal, so it'll do classic growl without even trying. Tele's are animals. Single coils are meaner/ruder sounding so for a ZZ top or even a lot of old Halen, it just sounds perfect. Fender clarity.

I hate teles (ugly, uncomfortable), but I can't find a better sounding guitar so I keep it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  9. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

im pretty sure Jimmy Page used to tele for all the electric parts on the first Zeppelin lp

10. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Actually I think that the leads in "Jesus Just Left Chicago" are pretty nasally sounding and quite frankly kind of piercing. It works for the song, however. And it sure sounds like an Esquire/Tele of some sort, back pickup with the tone knob on 10, etc...
    Not sure if the rhythm guitars are the same guitar or not, but he could have changed pickup positions.

To answer your question with regard to pickup choice for a humbucker: I'd stick with something fairly ordinary (Billy has used Seymour Duncans for years in many of his guitars), and get the gain and grind from a distortion box of some sort.

11. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Funny how our ears hear different things. I don't hear grind so much as pure sweet maple board sizzle on "Jesus."

12. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

maybes hes thinking of "waiting for the bus"

13. surfshack

surfshack Member

seymour duncan pearly gates!

14. dazco

dazco Member

Like someone said, it's way more than the pickup. in fact, you could use all the right gear and the wrong pickup and get far closer to BG than you would with the wrong amp and guitar and his exact pickup in your guitar. And thats just the beginning....the studio is a huge factor. Go to youtube and watch some of his live videos. Even billy doesn't sound very close to the records. Pickups mainly do 2 things....give you the amount of signal strength you want, and attenuate or boost ceratin frequencies, the latter which is generally a way to remove or add highs mids or lows but doesn't change the voice of the rig. Thats mainly a product of the guitar's wood and design and the amp. The right guitar and amp will get you close. The right pickup won't do much at all by itself. Like i said, take the very guitar billy used to record a certain song and rip out the pickup and stick it in your guitar and you won't even get close unles the guitar and amp are right for that tone. Then theres his hands...

15. MCG

MCG Member

Try a Duncan Seth Lover set. I have used both the Seth and a Pearly Gates, and while both are good pickups the Seth Lover is much closer to the tone Gibbons has on the early records.

MCG

16. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

no he didnt:nono
    [​IMG]

17. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I have the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set in Thorn #29. There are plenty of Billyesque tones to be had. Having said that, you have to summon some Billy mojo to really sound like Billy.

Mark

18. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

If you email Seymour Duncan he'll personally make the EVH bucker for you - it doesn't get any "browner" than that.

however,

A big part of billy's tone is that he uses 8's

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Everybody needs a tele.
    [​IMG]

20. newking70

newking70 Member