Which humbuckers for a Flying V?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Jan 21, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Member

im GASing for a Gibson Flying V bad, and the first that is going to go is the ceramic pickups.
    i have Voodoo 59's in my LP that i like ALOT, but i want a hotter bridge. i was thinking either
    Wagners or Lollars. what do you recommend?

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

If you accept recommendations from a peckerhead, I would go with a bit of an overwind as the newer Vs tend to be a bit bright.

Actually, the ceramic 490 series aren't a bad match at all.

3. EXP

EXP Member

i do as long as its positive. why do you rag on and diss people here? i was drunk earlier when i posted in the LP thread, but seriously man why all the negativity all the time?

4. aroman

aroman Member

Michael Schenker likes :
    Duncan Custom bridge
    Duncan '59 neck.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Of course...Voodoo 60s!! They're wound a bit hotter. Love those Flying Vs too. Mine sounds great with Gibson 57 PAFs, and I'd bet Burstbuckers would scream too. Also a BIG fan of PF Voodoos. Have his 59s in a killer Mcnaught. AC

6. EXP

EXP Member

aroman - i just happen to have a Duncan 59/Custom bridge in my closet!

Aacee- i was thinking either the Voodoos or Wagners(Darkbursts or Goodwoods)

7. jpage

I'm not negative. I'm a pretty sarcastic person in "real life" and I suppose it doesn't translate that well to the internet. I posted a few months ago that soon every Gibby thread was going to be taken over by these "knockoff" guys who travel in packs and start trouble. It's happened. I love my Gibson(3), Tacoma, Fender(3), Warmoth(2), PRS, Martin, Danelectro and DM Stevens axes. I know alot about guitars and tone as I have been dropping big bucks for the better part of three decades. I used to play out alot, now I work alot. I don't own a music store and I don't care about politics between companies/builders/distributors/large music chains. I can afford what I like and believe me, I know what I like. I used to tour PA with a Les Paul copy (made by Martin I think--Madiera?) and know what they can do. But please don't insinuate that I throw my money away on the gear I like. It insults me. If I ask a question, please feel free to give me your opinion but to jump into threads to start trouble is wrong in my book, no matter how "kindly" you word you agenda.

8. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

EMG's baby Ha! Just kidding. I had an explorer that had the same pickup set. I didn't like them. I don't like ceramic.

9. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Sounds like you need some Tokai 57 PAF's. :p :D

10. changeling

changeling Member

pickups for a flying v....
    if you want to "hear" the guitar,i suggest:
    antiquities
    fralins(any)
    classic 57's
    if you want to "exploit"the amp,i suggest:
    wcr(the overwound sets)
    dimarzio(any)
    emg81(not great for classic sound,but good for metal)
    duncan pearly gates,jb

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'd go with the Burst Buckers Too myself. The V's are a very bright guitar and the Bursts would tame it nicely. You can get a pair fairly cheap on the Net.......usually under $100. :AOK

Get a Tobbacoburst ...........:dude

12. EXP

EXP Member

i think the perfect combo would be a Wagner Crossroads neck and Goodwood bridge.

OldSchool, along with a Gibson V, i was thinking about a Dean V in Braziliaburst.

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No doubt they would sound awesome if you have $300+ to spend on it. But the Burstbuckers are a sweet 2nd option if your on a buget (like me[​IMG])[​IMG]

14. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I've got the stock 496R/500T combo in my V, with NO tone pot on that 500T & it RIPS. Also my 'metal' guitar, so YMMV, if you're not looking for that.

Alternatively, I've got a 59/JB combo in my Explorer- very versatile, very warm, clean to scream, etc. Took it to a blues jam once & once the funny looks subsided & I plugged in, EVERYONE else, the rest of the night wanted to play my Explorer. Not even a H/C, either, just a beat up, old '91 production model.

The 59/JB combo seems to work well in all mahogany guitars. AND, you can pick 'em up cheap, if yer on a budget. Scored a set off the HFC for $80 shipped.

15. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

The WCR's can be had for less if you are patient. Not the combo you are looking for but this might be just as good for $220 right here in TGP emporium. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=125673

IMO the WCR's kill burstbuckers BTW. I have a Darkburst in the bridge and a Goodwood in the neck of my R7. I have a friend with an R8 with BB's and the WCR's are definately better. The BB bridge is harsh in comparison and the neck is simply too muddy.

16. jpage

I see JBs all the time for $40. I have two in my LP Studio right now and they sound great. They have a nice hefty wind, they would sound great in the V.

17. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I think, in all this 'boutique' madness, it's easy to forget about the 'basics', i.e. Duncans vs. ???. That said, I loves me some WCRs- Fillmores in my R7 LPC & a set of Hercs (that I scored offa ebay for $180) for a V I'm building & am gonna order some Wolfetones for a couple other project (gotta set of his P90s (NOICE!) in a guit I built).

Again, I think a 59/JB combo would sound killer in a V. 59/Custom would probably be real nice, too & if you wanna get real aggro, there's the ever popular 59/Distortion combo.

18. EXP

EXP Member

what would go good with a Goodwood bridge? im not ruling out Duncans; Seth Lover or Antiquity neck.

also where can i get gold covered humbuckers?