Which humbuckers for a good clean tone in an LP type guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MrMunky, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

1) Which set of humbucker pickups would you recommend for an excellent clean-Les Paul tone in a Monaco Elite?

2) What are your thoughts on the DiMarzio EJ signature pickups and the new DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAFs?

On its way to me soon will be a Hamer Monaco Elite. I know, from personal experience and the seemingly overwhelming majority of Monaco fans, that I will want to change the pickups when it arrrives, and I would like a set of humbuckers that sound great clean. The tone I'm really after is the Les Paul tone. Not the tone of the guitar, but the tone of the man himself in the late 50s.

The obvious options are some combination of the multitude of PAF copies manufactured by everyone. I have some experience with these, and I have some of them in other guitars, so I focus on these two models which I have no personal experience with: the new DiMarzio PAFs and the DiMarzio EJ Signature.

I am not a DiMarzio endorser or anything so I don't have a particular affinity for them as opposed to the offerings of other companies, but these two models in particular have intrigued me since I first read about them. Has anyone tried both? Does anyone who has tried either recommend another option for a good clean LP tone?

Thanks

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I would recommend the Lollar Imperial low wind. I have a set and they are very clear sounding. Another nice and clear pickup is the Duncan Seth Lover's.

Hope this helps!

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

WCR Dicky Betts set. Like 7.1 . I love Dickey but these pick ups were too low output for me. I get a set of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays That KILLED them. I also have a nice set of Lollar Imperials that rock. If you gotta have WCR then its either the Darkburst or the crossroads for me. [​IMG]

4. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have WCR Crossroads in my Monaco Elite (installed by the original owner) and it sounds great!

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

www.sheptone.com
    I keep saying this but they are my favorite PAF replacement pups and I love em. I love em so much I replaced my 61 PAF with em in my R9. Sheptones are closer to a 59 long magnet PAF Sound than the 61 Original vintage PAF... That tells a lot about how good they are.
    Shep will be glad to wind yours exactly as you want em, slightly underwound or slightly overwound if you want a lil more mid and punch. I d personally recommend the regular set around 8k. ( Ohms not USD! )

6. amc

amc Member

Another fan of Lollar Imperial low-winds for beautiful clean tones

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Where do you guys get your Lollar Low Winds? A few years back I called and talked with Jason about the Imperials and he basically said he winds 'em the way he winds 'em because thats what sounds best. There were no low winds or high winds or magnet swaps. Has he changed his tune?

8. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

9. Krank

Krank Member

What pickups are stock in the Monaco?

10. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I'm familiar with all of the above-listed pickups except the sheptones. Does anyone have any experience with the DiMarzio EJs or 36th anniversary PAFs?

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Yes I know, I read about them several years ago at the musictoyz forum - but like I said when I called Jason he said the Imperial is the Imperial, you get what you get, take it or leave it, there were no options, everything is designed to work together as a whole, if you change the formula you change (ie for the worse) the magic. If you go to his website there are no options listed:
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...re_Code=LGP&Product_Code=230&Category_Code=PP
    I haven't spoken with him in quite a while so maybe he's changed his tune, but I called after several people mentiond Lollar Low Winds and High Winds for that matter.

12. DavidH

DavidH Member

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

I love the WCR Crossroads, clean or distorted.

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I haven't heard them all but the Lollar Imperials in my new Larrivee RS4 sound great! (say it like Tony The Tiger!)

15. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

What can I say Trebor? There listed as available under the regular Imperials. Give him a call. I'm sure Jason would like to sell you a set. :AOK

16. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Another humbucker with beautiful clean tone is Harmonic Design.

17. Trebor Renkluaf

Doh! I must need glasses or something.

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Looks like another Playa in the Vintage Pick up arena!!

I emailed him to see if he does Mini hums. I'm in the market for a matched set............

19. oscar100

oscar100 Member

20. stuagu

stuagu Member

another vote for the lollar imperials... lovely clean humbucker sounds.