Which Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Medgeking, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Here's what I want:

Neck: Bluesey vintage PAF with clarity but nice overdrive sounds

Bridge: Vintage PAF character with the ability to get heavy

In terms of reference sounds, I'd say Opeth (Watershed era) and Andy Latimer of Camel.

2. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Bump - This is TGP and NOBODY wants to suggest me a set of pickups???

3. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

I guess the Opeth & Latimer combo scares people away... ;)

I will throw these names and you will do the research:

Sheptone
    Wolfetone
    Electric City Pickups
    Rewind pickups
    Bareknuckle
    Mojotone

there are others, of course. Go to their websites, hunt down youtube demos, see prices and go with the pickup maker that you seem to bond more with the sounds coming out of his pickups. Good luck.

4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I'm a HUGE Opeth fan. FWIW I use Manlius Hot Rod & Modern Vintage in my Edwards LP and they sound fantastic. Can do nice and clean or mean with clarity

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Wolfetone Dr. Vintage.

Wolfetone Marshallhead.

That combo would kill.
    Send Wolfe an email with what you're looking for.

6. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Lollar Imperials would suit you perfectly IMHO

7. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Fralin Pure PAF

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I second Wolfetone. His work is solid, great tones. I have 2 sets of Marshallheads and a set of Dr Vintage right now. If you want a more authentic PAF, Sheptone makes really great pickups; I like them in RI Les Pauls. I like the Fralins as well. I'm a little underwhelmed by the Lollar Imperials I put in my Flying V.

9. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

RS Phsychebilly Ser from Fralin. Were the best Humbuckers I ever heard, including the PatNr. Sticker ones I have in my Gold Top and the ones in a 62 SG.
    I wonder why they get talked about so little....

10. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Jim Wagner "American Steele" pickups are great. I have them in a 335.

Sent using Forum Runner

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'd take a Dimarzio PAF in the neck and then your heavier flavor of choice in the bridge. Any of the Air Norton/AT-1/Air Zone should do you.

12. bettset

bettset Member

i like the dimarzio 36ths. also, www.smitspickups.com has a variety. he wound a neck pickup for me like 5-6 yrs ago. a classic coil. he did some things to give it the texture i was looking for. even though he has all his pickup varieties, he'll still take your input as to what you'd like wound. give him a look :munch

13. mach1

mach1 Member

+1 on the Lollar. Try the Imperial Low Wind in the neck position. Superb clarity and feel with a great harmonic quality.
    The Gibson 57 Classic is a great choice for the bridge.

14. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

My favorites are the Bareknuckle Mules: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=the_mule

Here's a review Guitarist did on them and gave them a perfect rating and a "Gold" award, they're badass: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/reviews/reviews_20060101_guitarist-gold-muleapache.pdf

I play mostly blues/blues rock, they've been perfect for that. Had them about a year. There's a ton of Youtube demos too.

I got them un-potted so they're as close to original PAFs as possible, also mine have the 4-wire connection option and they sound great tapped as single-coils. Made my PRS SE245 sound like a million bucks.

15. Sensates

Sensates Member

What guitar are you using?

My preference would be Lollar Imperials. My experience are only with the regular bridge Imperial in a CU24 but it has already beaten a long list of other pickups.

By the way I love Watershed era Opeth and Camel. Not common to see those two names together.

16. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Mikael Akerfeldt is the reason I first got into Camel (he's a major fan).

Been considering Imperials for a long time, so might be the one. However, the wolfetones are tempting as well as the Bare Knuckle Mules . . .

17. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

This.

I'm a big opeth fan!

I actually have an akesson se model that's got this type of setup. (I loved the guitar -not just opeth fanboy-ism.)

The 36th anniversary PAF in the neck works beautifully for what you're describing. I went Duncan custom for the bridge. I love the pickup, and tried swapping magnets around ( check out the SD board for a ton of info on this). Right now there is an un-oriented alnico 5 magnet in there and it's awesome. Vintage-y but with more power. It's warm and balanced with nice output. If you want more tightness and cut, the standard Custom is awesome, if a little stiff when played clean.

Good luck.

18. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

I'm happy right now with two very different sets: one is the stock set of a Gibson Les Paul Heritage Series Standard 80-Elite, the Tim Shaw PAF Reissue...these are very vintage sounding, not wax potted, low output, warm tone with aggressive overtones if distorted, the best I ever tried by far! But they're very expensive...

The other set is a Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge: probably this is closer to what you want...the neck is EXTREMELY clear played clean, for distortion think of Slash tones...
    The Pearly Gates has stronger output and aggressive mids, but never honky, perfect for lead tones, in this case think of Billy Gibbons...
    I think these are really good sounding pickups for the price, a little more "contemporary" than the Shawbuckers and much more versatile: they have four conductors, so you can do a lot of alternative wirings...I choosed two push-pull for split-coil application and I LOVE the sound of the Alnico II Pro splitted: it seems a Strat neck pickup, but much fatter and lower output...The Pearly Gates splitted could be a little honky, but I like that sound, perfect for funky rythms! :D

19. mrverks

mrverks Member

+1 on the Lollar Imperials. Replaced the stock ceramic humbuckers in my 97 LP Classic, have never looked back.

20. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

seymour duncan 57s