Which iPad Mini for BIAS and Jampup?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by turbolx5oh, Nov 9, 2015.

1. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I know I saw thread somewhere that was spouting the virtues of some of the previous generation iPad Minis with Retina but I can't seem to find it. Which one is best for a BIAS and Jamup rig. Is the Line 6 Sonic Port still a decent interface?

2. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

In general, the newest one with the fastest processor would be best. Nor sure about the iPad Minis, but I had no end of trouble in live performance as well as significant latency using Jamup/Bias with an iPad 2. It would work OK for testing, but in live performance went down on me several times right before the set started.

Interfaces that connect through the charging port have the best sound but the highest latency. I have read the latency with a digital interface and newer iPads is low enough to be insignificant to some players. As a comparison I measured the latency with my older iPad 2 and a digital interface (using Bias) to be around 40mS or so, which is unusable IMHO. So newer/faster iPads are even more important if you are using a digital interface.

Elric likes this.
  3. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Just locate one that still has IOS8 ( avoid IOS9 - IMHO with the release of IOS 9 and OSX El Capitan, Apple appears to no longer be interested in delivering the best Operating system for Audio/Visual creatives.

mbenigni likes this.
  4. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

iPad 2 is equivalent in CPU/RAM to the original iPad Mini. You definitely want to avoid that one.

The iPad Mini 2 is a huge step up. I have one. It works very well. The iPad Mini 3 has the exact same CPU and RAM as the iPad Mini 2. It has a few extra bells and whistles, but nothing that will improve your experience as a guitar rig. In fact, it could be argued that the extra bells and whistles without a commensurate CPU/RAM upgrade could actually cause the iPad Mini 3 to perform worse than the iPad Mini 2.

The iPad Mini 4 is another step up. Get one if you can afford it.

I would avoid getting a cellular model, and avoid putting any apps on it that must constantly "call home," including email, Facebook, or messaging of any kind. You don't want to sacrifice CPU cycles for unnecessary stuff.

natethegreat12 likes this.
  5. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I did not like the L6 Sonic Port because it didn't respond well to rolling back the volume and/or tone on my guitars. My Apogee Jam 96k responds much better. My Roland Duo-Capture EX also works well with the iPad if I need a more full-featured interface.

I still want to try a Focusrite iTrack Dock.

natethegreat12 likes this.
  6. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

I have an iPad Air, and it worked fine with the iTrack dock. The mini retina, fits better. The larger iPad was kind of awkward.