Which is better for classic rock? G12H 55Hz or 75Hz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Feb 9, 2008.

Better for rock? G12H30 - 75hz or 55 hz

1. 75Hz

2. 55Hz

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a pretty bright amp and play P-90's. Will possibly pair it with a Vintage 30 or Greenback (w/ 55Hz cone). Looking for thick mids. Thanks.

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

It's hard to tell but if the Scumbacks are accurate representations (H75 & H55) http://www.southbayampworks.com/speakers.html (and I bet they are), the 75 sounds more open and the 55 sounds pretty muffled. I almost think the 75 sounds better. What do you guys think? Is the 55Hz G12H muffled sounding?

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I've got the H75 scums and love em. Not sure if they are better then the other ones for classic rock but happened to like the sound clips Jim had of those best so I went with them. If you are looking for a mid heavy speaker the scums may not be the best choice.

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

The H55 by itself isn't very bright and chimey (I could see some saying muffled, but that's of course subjective). But you also have to be sure to break that one in a lot. If you're using a 2x12, the 55 and 75 models sound very nice together.

Oh, and for thick mids, I'd recommend the M75, a G12-65, or even a pair of G12M Heritage's.

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

the problem is that I'm pairing them with G12M-55's (444 cone Greenbacks). So I have the bright, fizzy, woody sound that they produce. I was leaning toward 55's until I heard the Scumback clip in which I thought the 75's sounded more focused and tighter without sounding overly bright. These used to have 40hz cones (that are shredded) so I was going to try to keep them as original as possible.

Maybe I'll do a poll and check the numbers...

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you're pairing with M55's, I definitely say go with the 75. That is a great combo. The Scumbacks H series are aged sounding G12H 75's and 55's. The 75 is a great speaker, but it lacked enough bottom end in my Fargen's cab. I'm currently running a Celestion G12H30 w/ G12M in my Tone Tubby 2x12 cabinet and I love it. It is a pretty popular mix around here.

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Is there anywhere where I can hear comparisons between the G12H-30 with 75Hz vs. 55 Hz?

8. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I did a bunch of comparisons and speaker swapping with a slew of Scumbacks as it was a lot cheaper to find out what I liked than with pre-rolas. Anyway my favorite H 4x12 was one 75 and three 55 it takes that kind of mix to get a tone warmer than the 75s but with just enough of their shimmer to add to the 55. I actually like the 55 by themselves a lot. I don't like mixing Ms and Hs just me but to my ear you would need at least three Ms to balance with one H.

10. goodertone

goodertone Member

I have'nt tried the scumback 55, but have tried the scumback h75, celestion h30(heritage), and celestion h30 anniversary + many more celestions.

My favorite speaker to date is the h30 heritage. Big lows, thick mids, and sweet highs. It's also sensitive to picking dynamics. I almost sold it though because it sounded pretty harsh until broken in. The scumback h75 seems to have smoother highs, less or lower mids(can't pinpoint it) and less but tighter bass. I didn't care much for the h30 anniversary, but maybe I sold it before it broke in decently.

11. gearboy

gearboy Member

Not to hijack, but is the H75 good for hard rock and metal?

12. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I've got the Scumback 55s and 75s in a X pattern in my 4x12...that's good tone soup!

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I would steer you towards the M75-LHDC if you like the harder tones. The large dustcap does a nice job of letting you turn up the treble, or your OD stompbox without the treble getting too piercing.

Here's a Strat with the M75-LHDC through a 69 Plexi 100 watt.
    http://southbayampworks.com/M75LHDC/M75LHDC_strat.mp3

Here's the same amp/speakers with a Charvel Superstrat. Curt Mitchell did both clips.
    http://southbayampworks.com/M75LHDC/M75LHDC_Wayne.mp3

If you want a stronger tone, with more bass, a bit less mids, a stronger silkier treble response and more volume, then go with the H75-LHDC.

14. Scumback Speakers

Good question! LOL Personally I use the same mix you do, H's of both 55 and 75 hz, but I also realize I like mine in open back cabs when I mix 55/75, and I go for another mix in a closed back cab.

15. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

It's not a poll for Scumback, per se...(although the Scumbacks are a good reference point). I need to re-cone some speakers (Rola G12H30s) and Jim's been super helpful with me. I'm just trying to decide which cone will suit my purposes best (75Hz or 55Hz). Not many places offer tonal sound comparisons and Jim's Scumback site has given me a general idea of the tonal differences between the two cones. My amps are bright but I'm concerned that the 55 clip sounds muffled while the 75 sounds great. I don't wanna be too muffled or too bright...see my dilemma?:jo

16. Scumback Speakers

Word. If you haven't tried basketweave or bluesbreaker cloth, then you don't know how they help diffuse the high end of speakers, and add a little bass to them, too.

Anyone who's tried the thin black cloth or checkerboard cloth and then tries the BW or BB cloth will tell you there are some differences (improvement) in tone.

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

One speaker will likely go in a modded '59 Reissue Bassman open back combo (410 modded to 212 along a Weber Alnico Silver (not sure of the freq response)). I don't know what kind of cloth is on the cab. The other will likely go alongside a well broken in Vintage 30 in a closed back front ported Dr. Z ZBest cab (basketweave cloth). I will more than likely be using a Dr. Z Mazerati Head (AC30 type EL84 amp) or a '73 Marshall Super Lead (100 watt running at 50 watts).

I'm currently running two Alnico Silver's in the Bassman, the tone's great but the Alnico runs short on clarity and headroom. My Mazerati is short on mids run through the ZBest cab with a Rola G12M - 55Hz and a Rola G12H 75 or through a 70's checkerboard Marshall 412 (run with just 2 G12M-55s - a half assed detuned cab).

All the Rola G12Ms and the H are from said 70's Marshall cab. Once I get these new tattered G12H's reconed, I plan to put the 412 back to stock (or something, I don't know). So when that happens, I'll put one Vintage 30 with the reconed G12H (which resonance?) either in the ZBest or in an old deep particle board open back (silverface style cloth cab).

So...after much blistered typing...do I want the 55Hz or 75Hz cones to match up with a Vintage 30 or Weber Alnico Silverbell with one amp that needs help in the mid range and one that has a tendency to be bright? Thank you and goodnight :horse!

18. Scumback Speakers

The V30 has a 444 cone # which is a 55hz cone. You should match up that cone with a 75 hz cone. Since the V30 is an H magnet and 100db, a speaker with an H magnet and 75 hz would be the best choice to fatten your frequency response. In my line, that would be the H75-HP model. Handles 65 watts, you only need to figure out the ohm rating you need. The 16 ohm models I have in stock right now.

19. imguitardan

imguitardan Member