Which is better w/ an AC30? Scum M75 + V30 or Alnico Silver Bell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have the M75 + Alnico Silver Bell in an open back cab w/ a Dr. Z Mazerati (AC 30 type amp). It sounds pretty honky and this is not a mid heavy amp. I have a Vintage 30 I can put in there. Which speaker should I take out and replace with the V30. I also have some blown G12H's that once I fix I'll probably match up with the V30 or something. But not an option right now.

2. Dave

Dave Member

The honk is definitely coming from the M75, the Silver Bell doesn't have anywhere near the mids of the M75. The M75 is a great speaker IMO, I love it. It's too bad it's not working for you with that amp.

You may not like the V30 either. Seems like people either love or hate them. A Weber Blue Dog or Celestion Blue would be a great match with that Silver Bell, again IMO.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

A pair of Scumnicos.

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I was able to isolate the speakers and I believe that the honk is actually coming from the Silver Bell (actually a P12Z (Dr. Z designed Alnico speaker that morphed into the SB (I think))).

So what should I match the M75 with? Will it work with a V30 as that's my only current option?

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

silver bell is definitely a better option. Its sort of like a cross between a blue and a g12h30. V30 + a vox will probably get you into behringer practice amp territory pretty fast.

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Is that supposed to be a BAD thing?:roll

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

I am running my Ac30HH with an H75 and an M75. No honk at all, but lots of great, great tone.
    I'm sorry my suggestion involves spending money :( .