Which is more similiar to the Boss OD-1? The OD-3 or SD-1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soul Man, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Your input would be appreciated!

2. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

The SD-1. Having said that it's not that hard to track down an OD-1 on ebay.

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

fwiw, I used the OD-1 for a bunch of years to push semi-grindy Marshall sounds up into infinite sustain. Someone showed me a Menatone Blue Collar pedal and it seemed to me that both pedals did pretty much the same thing, but the Blue Collar allowed you to shape the sound more. So that's the way I went and stayed. My OD-1 pedals are gone. I had several.

5. bdhact1

bdhact1 Member

The OD-1 with the JRC4558D is the best of the Boss OD pedals; But, it isn't as unique as the original with the RC3403ADB chip. The original has a totally different sound and stands apart from the all the other Tube Screamer wannbes. The original OD-1 is very rare and very expensive. I had to make my own. Analogman used to modify the 4558 OD-1 to take quad chip. He think he stopped doing it though.

6. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

7. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Thunder Tomate used to make the Taxi Driver-- a clone of the quad op-amp OD-1 -- but a while back it was discontinued. I contacted Roberto a couple of years ago and he offered to put together a one-off using leftover parts. I don't have it on my board, but when I feel like riding that sweet mid hump it's killer. Definitely more "raw" (in a good way) than any TS and seems to have more "guts" and less compression than the old SD-1 I played for 20 years.

- DB

8. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I could be wrong, but I think the Red Snapper is much closer to the OD-1 circuit than the BC. I used to own both Menatones, but they're long gone so I can't make a direct comparison to the Taxi Driver I mentioned above. Regardless, though, the Blue Collar is an exceptional drive pedal.

- DB

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I haven't played with an OD3 (at least I can't remember having played with one), but the OD1 is quite different from the SD1, and every other current Boss dirt pedal that I can think of. It was raw and rude in a very, for lack of a better word, "organic" way. The amp that it was used with was important, too. For example, I don't know if I would use it on a completely clean and bright Fender (I didn't like it).

10. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

DingoTone SQO is an OD-1 clone with new components, but captures the sound, also true Bypass.

11. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Neither are the same at all... if I had to choose one, I'd say sd-1 since it's a non-inverting opamp first stage vs. the od-3's discrete opamp stages, but it's kind of like asking which is closer to a hot dog: a hamburger, or a turkey sandwich. The od-1 isn't either the sd-1 or the od-3.

12. lareplus

lareplus Member

it should be "which is more like a turkey sandwich. . .a hot dog or a hamburger?"

of course you have to know what amp you are playing through and humbuckers or single coils. . .hot dogs don't go well with humbuckers. .

fridgit likes this.
  13. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Tonally yes the Blue Collar can get close. But stacking wise the BC engulfs the sound in a bad way rather than smoothens the tone like the BOSS.

14. vintage66

vintage66 Member

You're saying you're stacking the BC with another pedal? I would think that would be overkill since that pedal has a ton of gain on tap-I could exactly replicate the sound of my Direct Drive into my FDII compcut mode with just the Blue Collar. I can see how stacking it would be too much. I'd like to try a Red Snapper since it gets brought up every time the Blue Collar gets mentioned.

15. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I don't use the BC at high gain. I got it as I thought it could replace my MIJ SD-1. And occasionally I stack my BOSS with my Mudhoney II (set for very light crunch, SD-1 adds compression and gain).

When I tried the BC in this role it didn't perform as well as I'd hope. Although EQ wise I prefer the BC (how open and vibrant it sounds), but in terms of distortion character I prefer the smoothness of the SD-1 as both a standalone and stacking pedal.

16. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

I currently have both the SD-1 and OD-3. My SD -1 is a very early production ( 1981 ). Have thought that it would be close to the later versions of the OD-1, just with an added tone control. I really would like to try an early version of the OD-1, but not sure there would be $ 275 worth of difference. As for the SD-1 / OD-3 ... I feel the SD-1 has basically more mids and gain, were the OD-3 has milder gain, but more low end punch. :munch

17. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I just found a Thunder Tomate Taxi Driver in my home office while looking for a different pedal...I forgot I had it! I have to wait for the family to wake up so I can plug it in and hear how it sounds,,,

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Pedal Dan likes this.