Which is most intuitive? Boss, Kemper, Helix, Axe-FX?

lpr9

Spent 30 minutes at a Guitar Center where they struggled to show me how to edit the Helix....a friend has a Kemper that sounded great, but making the slightest change was a little frustrating. No time yet with the Axe-FX. For someone who has trouble installing the simplest app on a phone or reading an instruction manual....is there a digital modeling/effects pedal that is uber-user friendly?

quantech

I have/had Amplifire, Kemper, AX-III, Helix LT and a myriad of other, lesser know/less popular modelers, and out of all of them, the HR Gigboard has been the absolute easiest, most stupidly simply to use modeler to date. No editor, don't need one, probably will never have one. Drag and drop effects/amps/cabs with your finger using the touch screen. Still have yet to really even look at the manual and I've had it for like a year now. Love that little tank with the amazing UI. The full size HR is the same UI and screen so either one in terms of ridiculous simplicity.

mikah912

Spent 30 minutes at a Guitar Center where they struggled to show me how to edit the Helix....a friend has a Kemper that sounded great, but making the slightest change was a little frustrating. No time yet with the Axe-FX. For someone who has trouble installing the simplest app on a phone or reading an instruction manual....is there a digital modeling/effects pedal that is uber-user friendly?
"It depends" is probably your best answer here. It is truly dependent on how you would use the thing.

There is consensus (with which I happen to agree) that the Helix is the simplest to edit as far as using the screen and controls on the device. BUT....if you're a traditional amp user who would be using super simple signal chains, you might find the form factor and oodles of exposed knobs/buttons of Kemper to be more your speed.

If you're looking for the closest to a smartphone app-esque experience, some would say the Headrush Pedalboard/Gigboard with its touchscreen is the easiest or most intuitive. But I actually find the BOSS GT-1000 - with its Bluetooth app that instantly edits everything on the device in a very nice format - to be more modern, intuitive and easy to work with.

Adding an additional wrinkle is whether you'd have this thing hooked up to a computer a lot of the time. if you did, a lot of people love Fractal's Axe-Edit software and its workflow.

Guitardave

No.

DigitalTube

Silver Supporting Member
I think they're all easy, after reading the manuals, surprised they struggled to Edit the Helix which I think it's probably the easiest one to use.

hendrix1406

i had the atomic 3 and it was the most worst intuitiveness piece of gear ive ever owned.
FE- if you want to decrease an effect you have to go through menus and sub menus for it.awful ui.

Quad4

i had the atomic 3 and it was the most worst intuitiveness piece of gear ive ever owned.
FE- if you want to decrease an effect you have to go through menus and sub menus for it.awful ui.
It was designed for the computer editor as the main UI for anything but a single tweak. The tiny lcd/encoder UI needs a refresh.

Watt McCo

If you've found Helix and Kemper difficult, Headrush is the only one that might possibly work. But even then...I think even the easiest modeler will be significantly more challenging than a phone app, and all pretty much need you to read the manual at some point.

EL84 Abuser

For someone who has trouble installing the simplest app on a phone or reading an instruction manual....
Most come with a single page quick start guide that'll get you playing in minutes. It's then up to you how much deeper you go.

KenG

Sounds like you are challenged technically. If you're in the bottom percentile then just get an analog amp and anjoy your neighbours.

Alex Kenivel

For someone who has trouble installing the simplest app on a phone or reading an instruction manual....is there a digital modeling/effects pedal that is uber-user friendly?
Not really a digital modeling/effects pedal but (just for the sake of a new suggestion) the BluGuitar Amp 1 or similar might work for you.. but it doesnt get any simpler than the Iridium, or maybe look into the Boss Katana

Iridium tones/response can hang with the big boys, so in quality it hits well above its $399 price. In functionality, no (it's 3 amps with 9/18 IRs), but it's dead simple to use and there's times where I feel more "creative" and focused on my guitar when I'm using my Iridium-based board vs. my other modelers (Kemper Stage, Axe 3, HX Stomp).

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I always find the Boss stuff pretty easy to work with. I use an MS-3 with my JP-2C amp and it has not been hard at all to use and figure out.
The Axe III I have had for more than a year and half now. I find it very easy to use. There is so much in there that you could play with if you wanted to. The editor is absolutely amazing!
I found the Helix easy to use as well.

Depending upon the tones you are looking for, you may really like the simplicity of the Iridium. You are limited to the three tones though but they are very well done and that may be all you need. I really liked the one that I tried out.

treeuh

I'll give a +1 to the Iridium-- it's made me rather happy. It's dead simple to use, sounds phenomenal, and fits on my pedalboard.

primal

Silver Supporting Member
I own Axe FX, Helix (HX stomp) and a kemper stage.

I dont think any are terribly difficult if you spend some time with them, but based on simplicity (for me) I would rank them as
Helix
Axe FX
Kemper <- though with there new editor it has gotten easier.

The Axe FX does "allow" you to delve MUCH deeper than the others and tweak the smallest detail of basically every part of the amp, and if you start diving in there it gets complicated fast. But it is not required. That is only if you want to alter the way the stock amps sound.

Trending Topics