Which is the better entry level p90 guitar? Epi Gold Top or PRS SE Soapbar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KCWM, Apr 15, 2008.

1. KCWM

KCWM Member

The title says it all.

I currently have a PRS SE Soapbar. I dig it, but I'm wondering if the Epiphone Gold Top with p90s is a better sounding p90 guitar.

Anyone have experience with both?

I figure it's better to have a $300-$400 foray into p90 guitars rather than a $1500 to $2000.

2. Guitarman15

Guitarman15 Member

I would say keep what you got PRS makes a killer guitar

3. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

I'd say the Soapbar, but there are used P-90 guitars in that price range I like better than either, like the Godin LG and Peavey Firenza (both come in humbucker and P-90 versions)

4. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Check out an Agile Lp P-90 if a new one is what you're after - great appointments and the fit and finish is above par for an import.

6. utterhack

utterhack Member

Now that's just :NUTS

I've owned the PRS SE and played the Epi. They're both fine entry-level P90 guitars. Which you'll prefer will mostly be a matter of personal taste. Given my druthers if I had to choose I'd take the Epi... from the limited run they did in Ebony, which comes very close to the old LP Pro Deluxe vibe.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It depends on what you like really, the SE is a slab body as far as I know and I think the EPI is a little thicker probably laminant mahgony but capped with maple I think... they are both nice and a little different sounding. I think the EPI is a little fatter, and the SE perhaps a little brighter and snappy.

I'd also check out Reverend. The Roundhouse is a pretty cool guitar and they have a 3 P90 bolt neck that's pretty sweet too. I found them very enjoyable to play. I'm used to an LP studio so the Roundhouse was most comfortable off the shelf for me.

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

A pickup winder that I hold in high regard told me that he bought three Korean made guitars by PRS, Epiphone and one other to use as mules for some new products that he was developing. He said that the PRS was outstanding and he had issues with the other two. He highly recommended the PRS SE product. So, this is another vote for the PRS SE. Change out the pickups to something better if you want improved tone.

9. cube

cube Member

i have played Epi's that were great . some not so great, some Prs Se's that were Great some not so great.
    play a bunch . there are good ones

10. KCWM

KCWM Member

My SE Soapbar has a carved top, though it's not as pronounced as normal SEs. It's definitely different than the SEs they roll out now.

Any experience with the GFS P90s?

11. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

12. HMCMedic

HMCMedic Active Member

The PRS SE models are probably the best bang for yer buck in all of guitar land:)

13. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

My Agile AL2000 LP Copy is a great guitar. A little heavy.. But it is hands down just as good as any Epi out there if not better.

14. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    Don't count out the double cut faded LP specials ...... They really have the big tone for the buck too!!!!!!!!!!!
    :jo

15. blong

blong Member

PRS SE Soapy for sure. Hands down higher quality.

If you're interested, check my add in the emporium here. I'm selling my SE Soapy for a fair price b/c I bought a McCarty Soapbar with a trem and I don't need it. It's basically new.

Sorry if that's considered spamming. Even if I didn't own one, or have one for sale, I've played both guitars numerous times. The PRS SE Soapbar is much better than most of the Gibson reissues I've played. I'll probably get flamed for that by people who judge guitars based on the name on the headstock, but it is one killer little guitar.

Bob