Which is why I don't donate to charity

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ken Ho, May 20, 2015.

1. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...mily-and-friends/story-fnu2q2e9-1227361914064

There was a dude who rode around Oz on a pushy for "charity" a few years back. In reality, he rode for himself, used a charity face, RFDS, to raise the cash required , and gave them the left-overs.
    I don't know how many times I've seen a similar story to the one I linked to. Tons of donations, tons of pork-barrelling and blatant theft.

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Well, sometimes it's good to research the charity before deciding where you'd like your money to go. Too, I believe in what comes around goes around, so the giver is blessed and if someone steals the gift, the thieves will get theirs. :boxer

amstrtatnut and archey like this.
  3. dead of night

dead of night Member

I used to have people come to the house, raising money for "clean water." Now, who would not want to contribute for "clean water"?

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  4. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

You just need to do your research first. No reason to stop giving. Keep it local (food pantries, scouts, church, etc...). You can't take it with you. Give it away to the ones you trust.

Also: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. There are plenty of worthwhile causes out there that need support. I'm not sure I would go around bragging about not giving to charity in any event though.

specialidiot, hudpucker and daveg777 like this.
  6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

There is no such thing as absolute certainty. You do your research and take your chances. Not giving in a world where so many are less fortunate than myself isn't really an option imho.

Skeet skeet! and daveg777 like this.
  7. Lain

Lain Member

Just looking for excuses to not give something to charity? Nice dude.
    You even announce it on the internet. Top.

8. Porrig

Porrig Member

Exactly!

9. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

If its a known quality charity, for example, The Human Fund, then it's certainly OK.

:dunno

10. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

The only thing I have against legitimate charities is that many share (or sell) your info to other charities. The next thing you know, your mailbox is stuffed with junk mail and the phone is ringing all the time.

For this reason, I give anonymously whenever possible and always make sure to know what I'm supporting and how much of every dollar is going to the charity...and how much is going to the CEO's bank account.

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

The way you handle that is to make any gift contingent on their not sharing your info with others. Write your middle initial as X. on any correspondence with them. If you then get a mailing from another org. with your fake middle initial on it, you know you went on a list and then you cut them off forever. I did that when I was writing copy for direct mail so I could see who was buying the lists from the place that paid me. Years later I was still getting mailings and I kept a sample book of them all, claimed them as my own work.

13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have no idea what this means.

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yeah, a lot of charity rip offs out there. Three big "cancer" rip offs on the news last night. Officials are going to "sue them" I guess. BS! Put the Boneheads in jail!
    There ought to be a law that requires charities to say up front what percentage actually goes to non administrative. Not that that would cure it all...

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

If ever approached, I ask for a website and tell them I will research it.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

There's a ton of room for shenanigans in "non-profits." They're not all charities, but there are a lot of creative ways to finesse the numbers you say go to overheard vs. go to the cause. The best ones will be totally transparent with annual reports explaining everything, listed on Charity Navigator and, well, not need a top-flight PR firm to keep them in the public's good graces. I used to work with a lot of charities in a previous job and some of the office space they had was just unreal. I remember one in Century City where the parking was $35/day (I rode my motorcycle around the gate). I can't even imagine what the rent was there and it wasn't like they had to be there to most effectively do their work.

17. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

The Red Cross is a solid charity to donate to.

Donating to local food banks is also a good way be charitable.

Lone Bear and Faraldi like this.
  18. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

The OP comes off as looking for an excuse to justify not being charitable, not sure if that is the intent, but that is how I read it. There are lots of great charities doing good things for those less fortunate.

19. Bozak

Bozak Member

It's amazing that these organizations can pull down that kind of money without any investigation from the donors beforehand, where is it coming from? who is donating millions without looking into the charity? if this story is true something stinks on the funding side as well.

As for being charitable, that's easy, just do some research, or stick to local programs that are run by people in your community, that way you can see the money making a difference, which is more rewarding anyway.

20. Turi

Turi Member

I'm wary of charities.
    I've donated a few times, and each time my details have been sold off to other people, who try to call me non-stop, send text messages and also fill my e-mail with spam crap.
    Not sure how bad this detail-selling problem is in the States but it is rife here. I'll never donate the same way again.

Also the whole total-scam thing, where they are pocketing loads of cash pisses me off. The only times I've seen other people donate to charities it has always had the words "tax deductable" thrown in there.. so it's not from the heart or anything..

I stick to gifts now, like those ones in the shopping centres where you buy a present, and it goes to some random poor people.. no detail-exchaning involved.. I prefer that.