Which is your most memorable concert experience?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dmarkj22, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Bach Collegium Japan in a beautiful old church in Nuremberg on my birthday on a tour day off 2006.

2. frank62

frank62 Member

The Who in 67 at the Illinois State Fair. I have seen countless concerts since and nothing has topped that.

3. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Zappa 1981 Northrup Auditorium Minneapolis. 3+ hours. Everyone in his band was a full on mofo. The climax was Frank playing a solo while Steve Vai stood on a raised platform slight to the left and above Frank and he was playing note-for-note what frank was playing and it was brain frying. Never seen anything like that before or since. Then there was a 30 minute section with his percussion/drums/keyboards/bass doing a solo (drowning witch/envelopes/etc) among other things. Frank's playing was spot-on himself. I've seen a lot of great concerts but that's in the top five for sure.

4. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Three stand out:

1) Van Halen at the Forum in '92. My first time seeing Ed play live... from about the 10th row.

2) U2 @ Soldier Field in Chicago in 2009. Powerful songs, great presentation, great vibes - all in all a great show. Tipping an usher $10 to get from my nosebleed seats down to the stadium floor helped, too.

3) Primus @ the Grove in Anaheim in 2000. Les and the boys just hammered it for nearly two hours. It's the same song over and over again, but I love it anyway.

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Page Plant on X during highschool :dude

7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Can't pick one, but these are the ones that stand out:

Springsteen at the Spectrum in Philly, the night after John Lennon was killed.
    Talking Heads on a beautiful night at Forest Hills tennis stadium on the "Stop Making Sense" tour.
    The Who at MSG from like the 6th row, right in front of Pete.
    The Stones at MSG also from the 5th row (tickets won through a lottery).
    Neil Young at MSG on the Ragged Glory tour.
    Green Day at MSG.
    The Clash at one of the nyc piers in the pouring rain.
    McCartney at Shea Stadium.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Guitar-wise, original G3 in Dallas in 96.

Vai and Satch were excellent and entertaining.

EJ was on a COMPLETELY different level of musical and tonal beauty.

9. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

my first arena show. before that was mostly dc hardcore shows. changed my life.

phish's big cypress is probably the overall winner, though, due to the perfect weather, environment and friends that were there. and the midnight to seven am set was pure bliss.

10. mjt335

mjt335 Member

I've had a lot of concert experiences that have had huge impacts on me, but two of the most powerful that come to mind were totally acoustic and neither of them even featured a guitar...

1. Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer (first tour together, 2002 I believe)

2. Ladysmith Black Mambazo

11. mjt335

mjt335 Member

Also, my first Phish show was Fall of 1999. Totally blew my mind. Those guys were on fire back then, I can only imagine what it must have been like to be at Big Cypress.

12. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band, on the Live Bullet Tour. Late '70's.

I've seen many concerts since then, but none came close for me, as far as entertainment value goes anyway.

13. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Too many good ones, so I will go with BCE - Best Concert Ever for me - Pink Floyd - 1977 Animals/Wish You Were Here tour - middle of Soldier Field Chicago - Quad sound p.a.

14. reo73

reo73 Member

Ha, I was at that show and was going to post the same thing. I was about 2 people back from the stage in front of Petrucci.

15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

2nd row for Santana and Jeff Beck double bill.

I grew up on Carlos, was fantastic. I figured I'd stay for a bit of beck...I wasn't a huge fan yet.

OMG Jeff floored me. I flat didn't notice there ws a bass player and keyboard player (Pino Palladino and Tony Hymas) on the other side of the stage for about 1/2 the set.

Just came out and flat floored it.

I've seen him a couple time since, and he's been great, but nothing like this. I wish it was available on DVD, because it smoked the Ronnie Scott set.

16. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Another would be probably be the first time I saw the Allman Bros. Band.
    Right after 'Shades of Two Worlds' came out. Dickey and Warren and Gregg all gettng along, and was just stellar night. Some of these run together in my brain because I saw them ever year for 5-7 years or so, awesome.

Openers were incredible too. Blues Traveler (pre 'Runaround). Jeff Healey, and some little band named 'Storyville'.....First time I saw David Grissom live. OMG. And Holt was just as badass.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have some categories because they were excellent for completely different reasons and stood out because of it.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Soul to Soul tour Aragon Ballroom Chicago - Best showman I ever have seen, I know some of it was done before but that show was just insane, and he played like he was on fire.

Miles Davis Hancher Auditorium Iowa City Iowa - Best band leader I have ever seen. He walked around from player to player tweaking their playing here and there just like a EQ. Once it was set the entire thing converged, then Miles started soloing. I have never seen anyone ever than him who could do this.

Pat Metheny Group - 2007 Chicago Theater Chicago - Best group performance ever, just stunning musicianship by everyone there. The first tune was their entire cd which was just released.

18. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I have seen so many fantastic shows at Red Rocks it would be hard to pick. I've seen some bands in other locations, but almost everyone a lot extra when they play RR!

I saw Neil Young on the 1999 show where the temp was in the 80s and it started getting really cold, then rain and then snow as he finished. It is on DVD.

Other bands would be Widespread Panic, 10,000 Maniacs and Kudzu Kings.

Outside RR I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at Summerfest in Milwaukee in 1982 or '83. I was with my two other band members and we were all awestruck! Most people left thinking he was finished, but he came back out and sat on the edge of the stage and played Lenny. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

I also saw at least 40 Grateful Dead shows all over California and Nevada that all have great stories.

I have have seen The Bob several times, but one show at Alpine Valley was awesome. I don't use that word often, but I had seen Dylan before and it was pretty bad. He was the headliner and they just tore it up! Charlie Sexton was in the band as well. At the end when Bob comes out (he doesn't bow), so I am fairly close, and tall, and had my finger up in the air giving the #1 sign and Bob looks me in the eye and gives a little nod and nearly smiles lol.

Now, in our mid to late 40s, we have kids and ticket prices are crazy, so we don't see as much live music besides all the free outdoor show here in Boulder.

there is an adventure over every hill -- Pooh

19. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

My first concert ever was Rush on the Farewell to Kings Tour, late 70s.

Other memorable ones were Deep Purple in 1987. It was on my birthday and fulfilled a long standing ambition to somehow see the MKII Deep Purple. More recently it would have to be Rush again, this time in Helsinki when Alex Lifeson's amp blew during Far Cry; "You can almost see the circuits blowing" indeed.

They handled it like the superb pros they are.

20. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

In June of 1989 I saw Neil Young solo acoustic (with Frank Sampedro and Ben Keith sitting in here and there) outdoors at Great Woods the night before I graduated from highschool with my brother and four of my best friends. He was debuting songs off of Freedom mixed in with material from the prior couple of decades, similar to the acoustic side of Live Rust. It was about four days after Tiananmen Square in China and he started added Ohio to setlist dedicated to the kid who stood in front of the tank with the white flag (which was on the cover of time magazine that week).

Prior to this I had only seen quirky electric Neil shows, like with the Blue Notes or after the Life tour, which weren't great.

The song selection was perfect, the weather was perfect, the performance was perfect and was just quintessential Neil from that era, and as far as i recall I had not a care in the world. Absolutely magic--Neil with an acoustic and 10,000+/- people at the end of the decade...