which japanese made LP has a big neck like a gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saxophonist56, Aug 26, 2008.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i hate thin necks or even slim necks. liked my 57 goldtop neck.

politically correctly improved post! links to any ebay ads or other leads to chunky necked japanese lps appreciated.

ps do they all have the nasty skinny wiring and tiny caps?

pps how much do navigators cost in dollars?

ppps how often are people paying import fees upon receipt of these guitars from japan.

2. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

What happened to the replies that were in this thread?

3. saxophonist56

well as you know you can't change the title so i deleted the orig.

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Missin' that R7 already aren't you?

I feel your pain. My "let it get away" R7 is out there too....

5. saxophonist56

it's exciting to change axes and also exciting to pay all my bills on time! lol

6. DonM

DonM Member

Greco 1979 to 1982 EGF 1000's / 1200's / 1800's had the biggest /fattest necks out of all the Les Pauls made in Japan - they were also made in a Luthier Shop and not by CNC's - some say they are as good as Gibsons best efforts to recreate the 58-59 Les Paul
    I love mine - and the Dry Z PAF factory installed pickups are SUBLIME! best PAF clones I've ever experienced on stage myself.
    [​IMG]

paid $675.00 last month -
    then bought the Dry Z's for $530.00 -

picture above is the Dimarzio PAFs that came factory equipment in the 1982 Greco "Super Real" Series Les Pauls

79-82 EGF 1200's have it all as they come with the Dry Z's PAFs - all 79-82 Super Reals have the Long tenons - thick maple caps and right saw cuts from the mill - the wood is top select trees. and the fatest necks that ever left Japan..
    BTW these were only sold in Japan - mine was $800.00 american when new in 82 in Japan - thats a serious chunk of change --

PS.. its quickly became my main stay while performing in www.lajones.com I use it 90% of the night

7. Janne.M

Janne.M Member

The Edwards LP I have, a LP-98LTS, have a neck that are almost as big as Gibsons 50's neck, slightly thinner...
    It's actually very close to the feel of the new Les Paul Traditional.

Janne

8. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

Electra Vulcan MPC has a nice big neck.

9. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The neck on my Epiphone Elitist is a whopper. It's like a '59 rounded at the first fret, a big 50's at the 12 fret. It measures .880 at the first fret, and over an inch at the 12th.

10. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

I still have my first electric, bought new in Dec. of 1979. It's a perfect Les Paul Copy by Aria. Dark Tea Burst and a great neck. Thicker than a slim taper but not a 50's baseball bat either. The Aria in the headstock is real abalone inlay. Cream binding, etc. I did replace the stock tuners with Grovers. The trussrod has never been touched and the action is great.

It looks just like a Gibson from that period if not better. I know people say that but it's really true. The headstock is basically the same as a Gibbie LP except the open book is rounded off. The guitar is heavy but it sings real nice. Not too long ago I replaced the stock chrome covered humbuckers with '57 Classic at the neck an an unpotted Seth Lover at the bridge. The stock PAF clones measured out around 8.43 for the neck and 8.57 for the neck. The seem to be thicker/deeper than average. Beefy in appearance and ballsy in tone.

A few days ago I put the stock units back in. I should have never taken them out. They sound glorious. What we think is better is not always true.

There is something special about the earlier Japanese instruments and even a few Korean ones. Even the early Indonesean stuff may surprise you. I also own real Gibson's but don't buy instruments on name alone. Play 'em, feel 'em and then open your eyes.

11. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

My Edwards had a huge neck.
    That was one of the reason i sold it at the time.

It sucks because now I am liking big necks :)

12. whitehall

whitehall Member

Very few of the MIJ LP's I have owned (about 50) have had big necks. Certainly not in the league with my Gibson R7 and R8. I did have a few of the Orville plaintop's that were supposed to be RI's that had pretty big necks. However they can sometimes be really heavy and somewhat dead sounding also.

13. AlexF

AlexF Member

yep very few have really big necks, DonM has correctly identified the ones that do.
    Al

14. saxophonist56

are all the lp elitists outfitted with fat necks? or just some particular models? very interesting about the greco's....i'll be looking for one of those for sure

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  15. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The neck profiles on the Elitists vary due to hand-shaping. When the plaintops were closed out in 2005, the general consensus on the neck profiles is they range anywhere from chunky to large, with very few coming close to the 60's slim-taper profile.

16. rastus

rastus Member

I have an Edwards Page model-neck is a tad bigger than my Murphy Braz r9- a liitle squarer cheek, kinda 58-ish in shape, not quite as chunky-pretty realistic size and feel to a real 58 actually.

17. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

So can Gibsons.

18. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

More then Gibson Historics....

:mob

19. AlexF

AlexF Member

I have to just point out the Edwards Page model is a very small neck in terms of what this thread is about.
    Al

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Hey AlexF are you calling rastus a lier or could they vary more than you expected? He is comparing it to a R9 so do Gibsons vary that much?