Which Jazzmaster CS or AVRI?

chimaera1982

Hi Guys

My wife wanted to get me something special for my birthday this Jan for my coming birthday. I told her a guitar would be nice it would be a decade since the last guitar that she got a 69 MIM Thinline Tele that I still have although it's heavily modded. Seeing as my guitars are Tele's ( a strat-tele/tele-tele and aforementioned thinline) and PRS wanted something different.

I have 1 CS Tele that I love and we'll if we can get a good deal on CS Jazzmaster my wife is fine. So now am deciding on 2 used CS which are relatively cheap 2nd or an AVRI, they are:

CS 1963 Jazzmaster NOS lighty used but without cert
CS Proto Jazzmaster Mint and with alternate pickups and originals plus full set
AVRI 1965

The 2 CS are roughly the same or just a bit more than a new AVRI. I know the 2 CS are kind of of opposite ends of Jazzmaster spectrum. I know based on looking around that the proto Jazzmaster didn't sell well and they had blowouts the 1963 seems more 'normal'

I don't use the trem that much so a hard tail is interesting but I can live with em as feedback says the trem is necessary to get the full jazzmaster experience. Am more thinking on radius 7.25 vs 9.5 I usually prefer 9.5 but I get along ok with 7.25.

Any thoughts?

AdmiralB

I'd go with a Thin Skin in a heartbeat. 7.25 doesn't work for me; I bought a two year-old unsold CS '62 about six months before the first run of Thin Skins came out. If I'd waited, I'd have saved about $1K...although I don't particularly care for neck binding on Fenders.

I've done nothing to the guitar besides put on '65 knobs and change the 'rhythm' wiring to match the main controls (i.e. 1M pots and standard tone control wiring).

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Hi Guys

My wife wanted to get me something special for my birthday this Jan for my coming birthday. I told her a guitar would be nice it would be a decade since the last guitar that she got a 69 MIM Thinline Tele that I still have although it's heavily modded. Seeing as my guitars are Tele's ( a strat-tele/tele-tele and aforementioned thinline) and PRS wanted something different.

I have 1 CS Tele that I love and we'll if we can get a good deal on CS Jazzmaster my wife is fine. So now am deciding on 2 used CS which are relatively cheap 2nd or an AVRI, they are:

CS 1963 Jazzmaster NOS lighty used but without cert
CS Proto Jazzmaster Mint and with alternate pickups and originals plus full set
AVRI 1965

The 2 CS are roughly the same or just a bit more than a new AVRI. I know the 2 CS are kind of of opposite ends of Jazzmaster spectrum. I know based on looking around that the proto Jazzmaster didn't sell well and they had blowouts the 1963 seems more 'normal'

I don't use the trem that much so a hard tail is interesting but I can live with em as feedback says the trem is necessary to get the full jazzmaster experience. Am more thinking on radius 7.25 vs 9.5 I usually prefer 9.5 but I get along ok with 7.25.

Any thoughts?

The current crop of American Vintage guitars are very nice. However, CS is generally a cut above. Personally, I cannot recommend the Proto for your first/only JM.

So it depends now on if CS is worth the extra money to you. Given that they are made of organic materials… an AV may be better than the CS. The advantage, however, goes to the CS.

If you like 9.5" radius, the AV you should consider is called a Thin Skin (mentioned above). Wildwood and Dave's (US based shops) ordered a small run of them and they are almost sold out.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/V1634638/american-vintage-thin-skin-65-jazzmaster-13/
http://davesguitar.com/products/fender/american-vintage-thin-skin-65-jazzmaster/

They are the AVs - with flatter radius, bigger frets, and non-standard colors.

I had the same problem you had this year, and wound up with a Thin Skin. I was also considering buying vintage.

If the CS is pricey and you don't care about color much, you might want to consider your vintage options if it would be no trouble getting into HK.

chimaera1982

Thanks for the prompt responses guys. Am actually leaning more on the CS as its keenly priced. I don't plan to sell it in future unless something real bad happens as its a gift from wifey. I've tried the AVRI 65 locally in HK and yes it's priced the same as the 2 used CS. And I liked it the neck has more girth than then Mex ones there and I have preference for meaty necks but I know jazzmaster tend to be on the medium side which is fine. As the 2 CS is sight unseen the feel of neck is always a gamble but ive lucked out twice as my CS Tele and PRS came with meaty necks having bought sight unseen.
What are your thoughts on the CS 63 NOS Jazzmaster, is the absence of certificate really an issue?

The seller is in Japan TC-Gakki one of the bigger shops and we'll reputed so it is a real one I have no doubt.

Thanks.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the prompt responses guys. Am actually leaning more on the CS as its keenly priced. I don't plan to sell it in future unless something real bad happens as its a gift from wifey. I've tried the AVRI 65 locally in HK and yes it's priced the same as the 2 used CS. And I liked it the neck has more girth than then Mex ones there and I have preference for meaty necks but I know jazzmaster tend to be on the medium side which is fine. As the 2 CS is sight unseen the feel of neck is always a gamble but ive lucked out twice as my CS Tele and PRS came with meaty necks having bought sight unseen.
What are your thoughts on the CS 63 NOS Jazzmaster, is the absence of certificate really an issue?

The seller is in Japan TC-Gakki one of the bigger shops and we'll reputed so it is a real one I have no doubt.

Thanks.

In the US, you can get another Certificate of Authenticity from the Fender CS. You have to take it to a person designated by Fender, they take pics and disassemble the guitar, send info to Fender etc and if approved, they will issue a new COA. This costs $250 in the US. It may be different in HK.

Knowledgable buyers would expect a discount if the COA were lost. It sounds like it doesn't bother you and you are already getting it for a good price. In other words, it works in your favor as a buyer today :)

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
This is the actual guitar in question:
http://www.tcgakki.com/items07/tc072498.html

I hope we can share this if not I'll take it down it looks pretty nice. If I get I may get the gold anodized pickguard with black pickup covers and black knob as I think that will look sleeker.

I can't read Japanese. That would be a good price for a CS Jazzmaster in the US :) That would be a great first Jazzmaster IMO ;)

Whiskey N Beans

Silver Supporting Member
I say no cert, no worries. You or another buyer can verify through the manufacturer if it becomes an issue, and you say it likely will not. Wouldn't keep me away from a nice custom shop guitar, wothout a red flag of some other sort to go with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom