Which kids' guitar to buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EJW, Aug 26, 2008.

1. EJW

EJW Member

My 7 and 10 year old nephews ask to play my guitar every time they come over, so I'm thinking about getting them one for Christmas this year. I'm a firm believer that they should develop a love for the instrument by playing with the instrument before they see it as something they have to work at practicing. If they like playing, then the work will come naturally. To that end, I'd like to start them on an electric guitar with a quiet amp (an electric because it's way cooler and more fun to play than an acoustic in the eyes of a 10 year old, and quiet because I like my brother-in-law).

Obviously, I'd get them two great axes with killer amps if money was no issue, but I'm a graduate student and my wife works for a non-profit (i.e. we're POOR), so I'd like to keep things around $150. Musician's friend lists a Squire Strat for $100, but not much else in the way of junior guitars. As far as amps go, I'm leaning towards a Pignose, but I'm definitely going to see what's in the used section of the local music stores. What other companies are making affordable, yet playable, 3/4 guitars?

Thanks!
    ejw

2. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

I get alottof guitars for kids from swap meet finds. I think the Squire Strats and a small fender amp is the way to go. I usually get them for under $100. I have also found the Yamaha kits to be worth the money and I here you can get a starter kit for $80, it will need a setup, something they don't bother to tell kids and parents.

3. EJW

EJW Member

Thanks, but I don't tend to see 3/4 scale (~20 inches) guitars used very often around here. Ideally, yeah, used would be the way to go, but I think I'm going to have to shell out for a new one. I would prefer to get them a short scale because they have a really hard time wrapping their fingers around my full scale guitars. I'll look into upgrading them to a "real" guitar in the future.

4. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

I just bought my son the 3/4 scale squire strat... it came in today. It's a perfect fit for his hands (10 year old) and isn't half bad for $100. I recommend it. It's a bit nicer than the Epiphone equivalent my older son started with several years ago. I picked both up via Musician's Friend, but have also dealt with Zzounds and like them a lot.

5. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I brought my son a squire 3/4 strat for his 6th birthday. He wasn't able to use it for about a year because it was too big for him. He is now 8 and it's the perfect size for him. I would definately recommend it for around the 7-10 age group. However, by the time he is 11 I think he will need a full sized guitar.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Look at the Greg Bennett line from Samick. They offer package deals at very reasonable prices and also have 3/4 size guitars.

Some here may recommend against them but Samick is the largest musical instrument manufacturer in the world and likely build many of the other suggestions you'll hear.

The guitars can be set up to play just fine, you have a limited budget and the kids are only 10 years old.

I wish I had a guitar that nice when I started 41 years ago.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I bought one for my little cousin and of all the ones I demo'd, the Ibanez Mikro was simply AMAZING for the money. The squire strats, etc didn't hold a candle.

8. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Melody Maker! Keep it if/when they lose interest! The MM at my place is the "house" guitar. It's on its fourth kid and has been touched by a million dirty little guest paws. It has been "reliced" by tiny little hands....for free! Great vibe and mojo. Hell, it's got a P90 in it....it's really hard to screw that up. Find one on Ebay (non-vintage) at your price range.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

rondomusic.net - they have 3/4 sized SX guitars for real cheap. I have a full size SX bass and for the money you can beat it. I firmly believe they are every bit as good as the squire fender stuff.

10. EJW

EJW Member

All good suggestions. Thanks everyone! I'm not sure which one I'll get, but I like that I have options now.

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Ibanez Mikro. "Santa" brought one of these for my daughter and I can't stop playing with it. :) It stays in tune, and has a nice action. Many of the cheaper guitars in the $100 range don't.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGRGM21

I bring this guitar on vacation and sometimes lug along my Roland Micro with it.

They also have a model with a built in amp for about $200. The Neck pickup is a speaker. :)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGRGM51HP

GAD

12. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

ONe suggestion - Instead of a cheap practice amp, get them the basic RP50 or 100 from Digitech. Will sound 100's of times better than any practice amp, tons of effects, tones, amp models etc... It will keep their interest alot more. The pro's out weighs the cons... Plus they can plug it into a home stereo or headphones...

13. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

"Santa" will be bring both my daughters a Mikro this Christmas. Hopefully that will keep them from grabbing considerably more expensive guitars out of the stand.

I don't any "sorry Daddy..." moments with my guitars. :eek:

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I totally agree. I teach a number of kids weekly, and most come in with some sort of cheap Fender guitar. They don't stay in tune very well at all due to cheap tuners and the cheap bridge. Kids need a guitar that plays well and stays in tune more than they need a whammy bar.

I have one kid who has the fixed bridge Ibanez Mikro, and as quoted above, is a better instrument than the started pack quality Fenders I have seen. Also, the Roland Micro Cube or new Line6 Micro Spider are great little practice amps. Good luck