Which Lace Sensor Pickups for Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alamancelaw, Feb 14, 2009.

1. alamancelaw

alamancelaw Supporting Member

I'm custom building a Strat and have never tried Lace Sensor pickups, but I have heard great things about them.. My other Strat has a Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge and Duckbuckers on the neck and middle. I usually like a hot bridge pickup for the gain aspect.. Any opinions on Lace Sensors in general???

2. jay42

jay42 Member

People complain that they're sterile or 'too accurate,' whatever that means. Supposidly good for anyone running a bunch of effects. For several years, I had a Gold set. I thought they were fine. There's a Hot Gold which might be good for the bridge position. Largely hum free.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    3 Hot Golds for sure.
    Great PUP's IMHO. Sparkly / chimy Strat like cleans and best at the high gain end. Noisleless and look great :AOK

If you wanna hear em clean listen to 2 tracks on my Soundclick site.
    Track #2 - Dead Man
    track #26 - You & Me.
    Distorted with wah - listen to the end solo on track #5 - Alive
    Also the end solos on Comfortably Numb and Have a Cigar

4. alamancelaw

ANybody use the silver, blue and red set?

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I had a set with a Blue in the neck, a Red at the bridge and a gold in the middle. That blue was such an awesome sounding warm pickup. I'm considering adding it to my current strat in the same position. I've seen the blue as cheap as $59 online.

6. never-enough

never-enough Member

it depends on what you are going for.
    i would probably choose a gold in the neck position, the blue would be the choice if you wanted a fatter, more humbucker like sound there.
    middle position you could go for another gold or a silver.
    bridge i would say go red if you like the hotter bridge sound, or silver if you wanted to reign it in a bit.
    i started using lace sensors around 17 years ago, i still have some in 2 guitars. for me, they just work. why mess with a good thing, ya know?
    one of my strats (my main stage guitar) has a blue/gold humbucker in the neck and a silver/red humbucker in the bridge, set up for coil tapping. sounds GREAT.

7. dick wiewy

dick wiewy Member

I agree w/ neverenough's description.

I've got a Blue at the neck which makes for the fattest sounding Strat
    I've ever experienced.

The Gold in the middle gets more use than I found need for in my typical Strats. It also has a TBX control in the knob next to Volume. The detent
    @ 12 O'clock is a typical Tone rolled all the way up so receding or advancing
    from Center has two effects. Rolling CCW cuts highs as one would expect a
    typical Tone to operate. The unique thing is rolling up from Center. The effect
    is like you're adding brightness or "presence" to the signal. This really has a
    usable quality when singling out the middle PU.

At the bridge I have 2 Reds and a toggle to configure them as a series pair
    or select either coil for use alone. This has the effect of having a powerful
    HB type PU for a killer Strat lead voice.

I have another Strat with 3 single coils from Fralin I dearly love for it's classic bark and chime. But I'm quite taken with Lace product and must
    emphatically chirp about 'em. You most likely couldn't go wrong with any
    Lace in any position, they're unique in terms of providing a fundamental
    guitar sound and seem to do it better than what I'm accustomed to.

Hope this helps, YMMV,

NG.

8. alamancelaw

That does help a lot guys. I've got a lot to think about. My Strat is routed for three single coils, so that takes out the "dually" option.

9. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

i have a gold in the neck, silver in the middle and red in the bridge of my custom parts-caster

fantastic pickups

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Blue makes for a phenomenal phat bridge PUP. Listen to just about everything Bob Mould has recorded over the past 20 years ... that's the Blue.

Silver is the bees knees for the middle -- just the right blend of chime and girth. Silver+Blue makes for an OK combo sound -- it will quack, but nothing like traditional SCs.

Much of the Lace hate stems from the fact that they lack the "ping" and "breath" of a traditional rod-magnet SC. If you want "that" sound, there are probably better choices, but I don't think Laces lack character, and I can attest that they record beautifully. The tone is first rate, and the low noise is a bonus.

- DB

11. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Hmmm, I have a strat plus, which had three golds in it. Great pickup. Then I modded the strat to have a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the brigde and I thought I'd keep everything original, so I got two more lace sensors for the new setup so I could store the old. I got a gold in the neck and a silver in the middle. Both great in their respective positions.

HOWEVER, I got an Eric Johnson signature strat, because it was the closest thing to a custom shop guitar without the price tag and that's all I play now. The lace sensors sound duller and flatter by comparison. Doesn't have the high end detail. However, I do get hum where I don't with the laces, so it's up to you.

If you're set on the laces, I second Nightraven: Gold neck, Silver Middle and Red in the bridge. My friend has a Strat Plus Deluxe with that setup and it's really good!

12. oil

oil Supporting Member

I have a tele plus just like Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood. It has a blue in the neck and two reds with a coil tap in the bridge. Great tones. The blue is really warm, the red really hot.

13. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Last year I built the PartsCaster shown below- Had 2 sets of lace sensors, 3 golds and the Red,Silver,Blue set. Personally the Red silver blue set sounded more versatile than golds. Red in the bridge is perfect, its not classic strat sound but then again I've obtained some of the best jeff beck & david gilmour tone with the Red,silver, blue setup. Added a GuitarFetish Boost/Expander 20dB? off ebay into the mix really gives this strat some horse power..

Take it with a grain of salt. Lace sensors seem to sound more balanced and rounded with maple/maple necks. I've had both sets in some of my other strats with rosewood necks, one walnut neck and a koa neck- by far they sound best with a Maple/maple neck..

[​IMG]