Which Lava cable sounds exactly like a coily?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crazyneddie, Apr 23, 2016.

1. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

But isn't a coily? I have one of the vintage coily cables and it's by far the best sounding cable I have. I want to get another Lava cable that sounds exactly like, and I mean exactly like the coily but without the coils. Anyone know what that would be?

2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'd start by getting one that is the same length as an uncoiled coily cable.

Flatscan likes this.
  3. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

I'm really digging my Blue Demon. I have the split coil so best of both worlds for me. They have an uncoiled version as well, Lava has always been a great company for me.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Doesn't the extra long coiled cable just cut some of the highs?
    Try turning down your tone knob with any other cable & see how you like that.

5. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

If you really want to tweak your tone in this manner in a more controlled/repeatable way, the Empress Buffer + let's you dial in simulated cable length by adding or subtracting impedence.

I have a Lava Blue Demon and it's a fine cable. I mainly use other Lava cables though as I like a brighter, more sparkly tone.

And I do dig Lava and Mogami instrument cables =).

crazyneddie and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Flatscan, thanks for the feedback. So the blue demon is darker? That's what I like about the coily. And they are not just less bright and zingy, they sound fuller to me. So "turning down the treble knob" doesn't help thanks very much for that.

7. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

That is my experience. [Someone may make a bright coily - dunno.]

Intuitive speculation: coils are practically longer given the coiling (imagine the length fully-uncoiled). I could also believe that the act of coiling the cable could affect tone. The final shape might also affect tone (more tortuous signal path).

Cable length and quality both affect the brightness/darkness of your tone.

Here "quality" comprises several attributes. If you study the Data Sheets for the major cable companies you'll get a sense for the relevant parameters and how they compare.

There are individual cable builders who reportedly do good work here on TGP for a good price (no affiliation). I don't know if any offer coiled cables.

8. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

I thought there was a Lava UnCoil that was the same thing just not coiled?