• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Les Paul if you don’t have one and don’t want to spend too much?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Late 90s-early 2k Gibson Les Paul Special SL. The bass player in my band had one (or maybe it was his brother's?) . Same electronics as the Standard of the time, gloss finish, slab mahogany body. They seem to sell in the 3-digit range.

MrGuitarhack

Another vote for the Gibson Les Paul Studio with the 50's neck. You should be able to find a used one around your price range.

CBreeze

I like a thick neck
I don’t need it to be high end, just playable but visible grain with a satin finish beats out that extra glossy coating or plain stained mahogany unless a boring finish gets me into a better quality build at the same price.

I would really like to get it under $1000 and not opposed to a non Gibson, had an Edwards that was really perfect and sold it like a dummy
Also wondering if PRS single cut should be considered as a substitute for a Les Paul? SE’s are cheap and look good but I had a CE that I didn’t love...
2010-2011 Studio Deluxe. These came with a great finish a “60s“ neck that was ok, Or a 50s neck that was great according to the color it was painted. Handwired 500k CTS pots, coil splitting, grovers, burstbycker pro bridge and 490r neck.
After 2011 they started adding a boost circuit and other specs/features that I personally don’t care for but the 2010-11 specs are very nice and there’s usually a handful on reverb for 850$. Finish that kicks ass. really nice thin but polished laquer that ages nicely and trounces the satins.

This one is ice tea burst Early 2011 With Rosewood board On a 50s neck Solid as hell. The last of the 11s and all the 12s had maple boards or other boards. Some granadillo which I would have no problem with.

You gotta go past 1k to get binding.

Attachments

Last edited:

CBreeze

I just remembered something that turns me off to many Les Paul types I've played. The bridge being set way up high on the screws to compensate for the 'extreme' neck angle and it just looks like a design flaw to me. Is there a particular series or manufacturer that gets that less extreme? And is that even something I should care about?

That’s tougher to one pin dowN but yo can tell a lot from a seller with good pictures. My 1986 standard feels Pretty extreme alongside every other guitar I own- but then I look at the set up and it’s so similar that at the right had it can be Difficult to tell it from my 96 standard. Niether my 96 standard nor the 11 studio deluxe above feels like it has as much neck angle as the 86 -but I think your getting sucked into the vortex of the Internet echo chamber a little bit in this one. I noticed you said “Les Paul types”... The Les Pauls with problem neck angles are the 52 standards. And early 53s and they didn’t have enough...

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Right now I have a Les Paul Special Tribute in the house (for review). This is the one with the optional humbuckers (490's, I believe). I just used it for a couple of songs last night, but it's definitely a nice option for under $1k (list price is $999). A quick check online says the list price is the street price, but my first impressions were positive for a $1k guitar (with a nitro finish and the Gibson logo, FWIW). I'll spend some more time with it today, but while it wouldn't send my #1 to the closet, it's definitely a usable, giggable dual-humbucker Gibson.

Texsunburst59

I don't know what part of the country you're from, but in my neck of the woods, pawnshops are GOLDMINE'S for me.

I rarely buy from CL or FB Marketplace, and I don't buy online, so almost all my buys are from pawnshops.

This past December I scored my very 1st Gibson LP Studio.

I got the manager to cash out on it since it was the end of the month and end of the year.

I picked up this '05 Gibson LP Studio w/ 50's neck and OHSC for $286.

Here's a pic:

Dufffy

If you don’t mind double cuts, the revstar models are worth checking out as an alternative. Solid body, set neck, short scale, great sounding stock pickups and fantastic necks. That would be my first choice.
You might like my Yamaha Revstar RS720b. Shop black. $800 +/-. This is a beautiful modern guitar with a noiseless coil filter that is better than coil splitting. Feels super great. Sounds super great. Every detail is beautiful and functional. A great Yamaha guitar. This guitar has class.

Dufffy

I like a thick neck
I don’t need it to be high end, just playable but visible grain with a satin finish beats out that extra glossy coating or plain stained mahogany unless a boring finish gets me into a better quality build at the same price.

I would really like to get it under $1000 and not opposed to a non Gibson, had an Edwards that was really perfect and sold it like a dummy
Also wondering if PRS single cut should be considered as a substitute for a Les Paul? SE’s are cheap and look good but I had a CE that I didn’t love...
I highly recommend the Schecter Solo II Custom. I have the antique black with gold trim one. This is a really nice import LP type guitar that is very much a great LP type of guitar, improved. Ebony fretboard. Beautiful vibe. Has a great neck as you would expect from Schecter. The Schecter is nicer than most Gibson in my opinion. Modern design and great headstock shape. Schecter knows how to make guitars. $900 +/-.

Truckdub

Gibson Les Paul Studio! I had a 2010 with a 50’s neck. It was a better playing and sounding LP than my Traditional. I miss it.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
LPJ, or studio or tribute with 50s neck. I have those, I have R8/9, and things between.

What I'll tell you in all honesty is those lower priced LPs are great guitars and primarily what you get when you spend more is bling and bragging rights. If anyone tries to tell you that a studio, etc isn't a 'real LP', they are full of it.

just-1-more

Late '70s to '80s MIJ Yamaha Studio Lord, Aria Pro II, Greco, Tokai, Burny, Orville, Ibanez etc.
^^^^ This. My 80s Tokai Love Rock was well under $1k and is equal in terms of tone and playability of originals costing 3 or 4 times as much

Fuelish1

Epiphone, new or used...build quality is actually great, in general, and, yes, it’s a “real” Les Paul, just built offshore, no better, no worse... my Epi LP AND Epi Wildkat are fine guitars for the money

Strato62

My Les Paul Studio from 2004 is awesome and was $700. Don't know the neck size but is on the thicker side.

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
I like a thick neck

Mid 90s studio.

Trending Topics