Which Looper? (on a budget)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WhiskeyBro, Feb 16, 2012.

1. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

Hey there, I'm going to start playing out acoustic-solo in the next couple months and want to add some looping into my setup/sound. I have an M13 setup which is fun to play around with but it is way to big to be hauling around to the small gigs (I'm going to be opening or playing between set breaks) so I'm trying to find something that will work with a smaller setup and hopefully fit on my Pedaltrain mini or right next to it. I'm currently looking at a few pedals which are actually billed as delays but feature looper capibilities. At the top of the list is the EHX Memory Man w/Hazarai and the Hardwire DL-8. I'm also intrigued by the Vox VDL1 Dynamic Looper as it's not much more than the Memory Man. What's your experience with these as far as loopers go? I'm not trying to get too crazy but want to be able to have some sound on sound capibilities and want to have something easy and flexible to use. Not interested in Boss or Jamman's right now as they seem to get un-even reviews.

2. gjhardwick

gjhardwick Member

The only other pedal with a looper as good as the M13s is the M9.

Just take the M13 to your gigs!

3. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Do you want to be able to store loops and queue them up for your performance?

4. Madsen

Madsen Member

might want to give the Akai Headrush E2 a look. great sounding clean tap tempo delay, "tape emulation" & looper. easy to use.

5. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

The M13 is huge and I also have an LR Baggs Venue I use as well; don't really want to be lugging out a huge setup when I'm only going to be playing 20-30 minutes. I'm not really interested in storing loops; just want to do some sound on sound to enhance the songs I'm playing live. Have looked at the Headrush but it's also pretty big. I like the form factor of the MM + and the DL-8.

6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

:agree

Easiest and best looper I've ever used. Not for saving loops, obviously, but for actual live looping it's the best I've ever used. It's delay is really good too.

7. npfrs

npfrs Member

Sounds like a case of wanting to buy some new gear more so than a looper ;)

I'd keep the M13 + LR Baggs. I've done showcases where I only play for 15 mins and still bring my PT-Pro set-up. Make every performance count and treat them as if they might be the last!

8. sahhas

sahhas Member

are you doing singer/songwriter acoustic stuff?

stuff i've seen singer/songwriters use:
    line 6 dl4
    boss rc20

i have a digitech dl8, i never use the looping function, i use the delay function and mess w/ the feedback and time (works better for me). but the sound on sound looping would probably be fine for static loops. the boss dd7 would also be fine (i think it's loop-sound on sound mode has 40 sec of time, the digitech has 20 sec)

one thing about the EH ssm w/ h-when looping you have to hold down the button for the whole loop to set the time. i didn't love that. that's what i liked about when i had the boss rc20-you step down to engage loop, play, then step down again to stop--that system worked better for me.

i'm waiting to get my vox dynamic looper i just bought. excited to get it...and try out...

if you have space crunch on your board-i would bet either the digitech dl8, boss dd7, or the digitech jamman solo or the boss rc 2 or rc 3 would be fine for your use . good luck

9. eknapier

eknapier Member

I had an Akai Headrush for a while, I actually performed Steve Reich's Piano Phase on guitar in school w/ an Akai looper pedal. The hardest part was having to set the loop for each section in mid-performance...

But after that performance I ended up replacing the Akai with a Boomerang plus that I've had now for about 10 years. Besides noise issues I had w/ the Akai, I found the Boomerang much easier to set exact loops, the momentary switches just being much more responsive to quick toe taps. With each new version of the Boomerang that's come out I still prefer the simple interface of the original. As many pedals that have come and gone over the years it's the only pedal that's been a consistent mainstay in my toolbox.

+1 for Boomerang +! With the newer Boomerang versions out on the market today I think you can easily find one used for under $200. I think I saw one in Emporium recently for $160ish...

10. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

You know, after thinking about it I think you're pretty much right here. I've already got the M13 and Venue mounted on a PT-Pro (along with a compressor pedal and TC Helicon Harmony G-XT) and know how to use this setup. It may be a bit bulky but you're right about the making every performance count part and I appreciate that.

I might still be interested in the Vox looper at some point so sahhas, please update us with your opinions when you can. Thanks everyone.

11. keenan

keenan Member

I have no experience with loopers other than
    DD-20 (30 secs) got me into looping...checked out friends:
    RC-20 (w/http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=686&ParentId=253) if you have a bunch of pre-recorded stuff you're gonna play along to. Timing of buttons was not for me. Felt childish.

Went out on a whim and since my idol Trey uses a Boomerang I picked on up off eBay and have not looked back. Can be had for 150-180 if you're patient. It's an amazingly simple + useful. Does suck tone/vol gotta twiddle w/ trim pot. I'm TB'ing mine.

Also great for 1. song writing 2. play rhythm (of cover or original) and then get the solo down 3. In a Band setting it's the rhythm guitarist you don't hate... your drummer might though. Me and my bassist are thinking about getting an ABY pedal to make loops together, although I think he should get that zvex lofi for bass imo

Go Boomerang (OG, +, III) you won't regret