1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which LP has the buttery tone, R7 or Supreme?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeeHaw, Dec 29, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm on an LP kick and am not going to stop till I get one. I'm here to tell you I want to choose one that has buttery tone.:)

Please advise.

2. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I own a supreme and the tone is very warm and woody. It really is a unique sound, not your typical LP. If I roll the tone all the way off the sound is incredible but I'm not sure if I'd call it buttery, it's smooth and earthy.

3. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

2 x 57 Historic Goldtops.

#1 has Lindy Fralin Un-Buckers, Tonepros Bridge and Tailpiece. and Bumble bee caps. .022 and .015
    #2 has Jason Lollar Humbuckers, Tonepros Bridge and Tailpiece. and Jensen Paper in Oil Caps. .022 and 015
    They Both Sound Great! - The Un-Buckers Have that little Extra Magic, and the Lollars are more Subdued But Very Smooth in the mid's. - Pure Fatty Butter Baby![​IMG]

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

This may be what I'm looking for then. Anybody know how much one of these go for used? How about new? Also, are these the same as the 50's neck goldtop?

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Used you should be able to get one for $1700. However they are around 2K new so I'd just get a new one.

The necks are usually a little bigger than the 50's Standard necks. Mine is .900 at the first and a little bigger at the 12th.

One of the best guitars for the money. Been my main axe since April 11th, 2001.

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Hee Haw - tone like you are describing is really very subjective. And everyone is probably gonna vote for the instrument they bought or have owned. You really just have to play a bunch of different guitars and hear/see/feel for yourself.

I have a Lester Supreme and it plays, looks, and sounds great. I wanted an LP custom with flame, and the Supreme is a wonderful example of high quality guitar building with beautiful detail work and awesome figured wood.

But I am sure there are reissues that are great guitars. I do NOT like the crappy Kluson tuners on the reissues - I had a 61 SG Special, and fought those cheapass pot metal tuners until I replaced them with a set of Shallers.

However, if the vintage vibe is what you are after, then go for a reissue. Otherwise, consider the Supreme - but realize it will cost between $2.3K to $2.8K for a gently used recent model.

Good hunting! :AOK

7. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Go with an Historic....either an R7 Goldtop or an R8 Plaintop. Exact same guitar construction-wise as the more expensive R9 flametop (minus the flametop) for 1/2 the $$$. They are KILLER guitars and are easily the best deal going for a new Les Paul IMO.

I'd suggest calling a few of the dealers listed in "The Dealers Emporium" over at the "Les Paul Forum" www.lespaulforum.com and ask what they have in stock and get some price quotes. I think you'll be pleasently surprised! :)

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I may hold out for a plain top. It's gonna' be another few months before I have the $ together, but I just want to be well informed before I pull the trigger on a $2K guitar.

-Rich

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Go to a local GC and play a Les Paul Supreme. The chambered Mahogany body results in a distinctly different tonal palette that is definitely in the smooth and buttery category, and noticably different than a solid body Les Paul, like the 57RI. The LPS pickups (490R & 498T) are hotter than 57 Classics, but I lowered mine quite a bit and I like it much better that way.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

R7 has that classic LP tone. The 490/498s are okay, but don't deliver that classic tone that old LPs are noted for.

11. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I got tired off the junky Gibson pickups in my Supreme and dropped a KA-P90 in the neck and a WCR shredder in the bridge...

WOW :eek::eek::eek:

What a difference, that LP is now my "go-to" geetar as it out-shines even my 68' LP Custom FT & R9...