Which LP ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by synthnut, Feb 24, 2009.

1. synthnut

synthnut Member

OK you Les Paul guru's ....Which Les Paul am I looking for ....I don't want to spend a fortune...I'm a Strat/Tele/ P90 player .....I want a thick, fat , rich , toned LP with a fat neck for as little as possible ....I don't need a ton of flame or flash ...I'm more into good thick meaty tone and a fat neck ....Which model do you guys think suits my needs best ....Also, what pickups will give me that "thick, meaty" tone with a nice round tone on the neck pickup ? .....Sorry if this has been beat to death in the past , but I'd like to hear more comments with all the newer pickups and hardware that has come out lately ...Thanks, Jim

2. echale3

echale3 Member

Hmmmm, are you looking for a P-90 version, or a humbucker version?

As far as Gibsons, a Les Paul Studio would fill the bill for an inexpensive humbucker version, just fine--the full nitro-finish ones go used for under a grand all the time, and a brand new Faded Studio is under a grand at GC/MF. They are an eminently playable guitar that offers everything a Les Paul Standard can in the tone department, minus a little flash in the looks department.

I'd personally suggest the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Studio as a nice, fat, thick, rich-toned LP. It comes with Burstbucker Pros, which I really like the sound of, whereas the regular Studio come stock with a 490R/498T set. The VM Studio is not flashy in the least, in fact it's usually pretty damn plain looking, but it's got it where it counts, and that's in the tone and playability department. It's got a fat '50s neck on it, and the ultra-thin finish really lets the woody character of the guitar come through. They regularly sell in the $600 neighborhood used, sometimes even less.

Now, if you are looking for a P-90 LP, there's not as many inexpensive ones with a fair-sized neck to choose from, but they are out there. The old LP Studio Gem is one I'd recommend. As an alternative, picking up a Studio and swapping out the pickups for HB-sized P-90 clones may work out for you.

The LP Faded Double Cut Specials can be had inexpensively, but they have a slim neck on them. I had one that sounded just great, but I just never could get totally comfortable with the skinny little neck on it.

As another alternative, you could get a used Epiphone LP (which is the only other LP besides Gibson that's endoresed be Les Paul himself) or import LP clone relatively inexpensively and upgrade the electronics.

3. synthnut

synthnut Member

Thanks for the reply ...Out of the ones you mentioned , I think that the VM Les Paul sounds like a winner ...Thanks for your time ...Sincerley, JIm

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

remember, a Studio body is thinner than a Standard.

you may want to keep your eye out for a good used Standard. Mid 90's Plain top.
    used to cost around 2K, but in this market, you can find one for much cheaper, almost certainly under 1500, you'll also save the tax if you can find it on the grey market (Craigslist/Kajiji)

I honestly think you do get a better guitar in the standards over the Studios. It's close though.

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

try to drum up an older Studio...like from when they first came out. They're basically LP standards without the binding or fancy tops/finishes. My buddy has a black one that's one of the best LP's I've ever heard.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The VM model I think is what you may like...Try one and see if there's enough high end, if not, maybe go for a studio

7. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

That was true for only a couple years...1996-98 or thereabouts. Speaking of which, in 1996 there was the Studio Gem series, which were specially-colored Les Paul Studios with P90 pickups. I had one...kinda wish I kept it.

*EDIT* - I may be wrong, the Studio may have always been thinner, but they were thinner by MORE in 1996-98. Sheesh, I forgot.