Which Marshall should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tjinca1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I have been playing through Fenders for years, but I want to try Marshall for a while. Recently the harshness of the treble on the fenders is getting to me, plus I love the sound of so many bands that use marshalls. I've tried many distortion boxes through the fender, and it isn't the same.

I want a combo is the thing... I love sounds like ac/dc, Bonamassa, Hendrix, van halen, zeppelin. Which amp would get me there?

2. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

I too have had a Fender for a long time (a bought-new SFPR) which I use OD pedals with. For a first Marshall, I went with the Haze 15 head. For combo, you may want to look into the Haze 40 combo or the Marshall Class 5.

3. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

What volume levels do you need? For most Marshalls, you really need to be at louder band volume levels for them to open up. I like the 4104 and 4010 combos for band use.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

If you want a great marshal sound, allot of guys go boutique these days. Look at the Fargen olde 800 or, for a modern sound, the Splawn street rod. If you want something less expensive the marshal AVT50 is as good as the cheaper marshal tube amps imho and the marshal MG series with fx has had an overhaul lately.

RRC

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Ceriatone! Cheap, point to point, great parts, fantastic customer service and they are killer sounding. Checkout the Yeti and Chupacabra! Nik said he could make them into a 2x12...

6. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I didnt see anywhere on the site where they have a 2x12, and I dont want to build an amp...

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

8. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Or, if anyone knows of another combo that does a good marshall sound like I described. Not looking to spend too much either. $1500 or so would be cool.

9. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Marshall Vintage Modern or DSL combo used. Maybe a boost pedal for the VH stuff.

10. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Why not look into the JVM series? Those are very good sounding Marshalls capable of delivering many of the historic Marshall tones and they have all the gain you can possibly want.

Midi control makes them all that much sweeter.

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for a combo,, I'm looking for the jcm800 2x12. seems like a lot of fun, especially after mods.

12. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

I would suggest staying away from the DSL 401 combo. Very fizzy, the best tone I got out of it was the clean channel. When I realized I had been using pedals for distortion I sold it.

Looking into a 2x12 Marshall combo as well. I've started a thread on the JCM 800 4104 here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1036834

13. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

You can't build a Yeti or Chupa anyway (the Jose thing is pretty cagey at times).

Nik told me that he could build me a 2x12 Yeti/Chupa for nearly the price of a head...which is an absolute bargain IMHO.

I'd check it out as you can tailor it to your specs...sozo's, the tube types, trannies, speakers etc Even after all that it's still dirt cheap.

14. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've had the JVM210 and currently have the Haze 40 combo.

I loved the JVM. Very versatile, very loud, but pretty expensive. I traded the JVM for the Haze 40 and a guitar about a year ago.

For the price, there is very little (except really super high gain) that the Haze 40 can't do. And the rest of it can be done by pushing a bit with something as simple as a BD-2 or DS-1 (I use BD-2 and OCD on my board, so they're always there for a boost, but the classic rock I play is like what you described and really doesn't call for very high gain tones). I've recently been gigging the Haze 40 (usually use my Fender Twin and pedalboard) and it's plenty loud and the emulated line out sounds great straight into the board as well. I highly recommend it. It's very old-school Marshall tones in a small, lightweight and relatively cheap box.

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've played Marshalls for 30 years and I recently found a hidden gem.
    The JCM900 MKIII dual master volume 2501 1x12 combo.

This IS NOT the Dual Reverb model that gives JCM900s a bad name. Completely different amp based on the JCM800. It has two gain knobs to get you into high gain territory if you want.

The really cool feature is the dual footswitchable master volumes. Gives you a volume boost when needed.

It's a small, compact combo that is easy to transport but ROARS for it's size.
    You can see how compact it is in the pic below. It's sitting on top of my JCM800 1x12 combo.
    This has become my #1 gigging amp.

Below is a video (not me) of the head version thru a 4x12 combo with only one speaker.

[​IMG]

16. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I love my 4502 - JCM 900 50 watt Dual reverb 2x12 combo. I've been using it for over 20 years now and it has withstood tons of use. It came with Drake transformers.
    The key for me is to only use Channel A and keep the Presence and Reverb off - Mid and Treble on 4 and Bass on 10. EL34 =C= tubes and this amp has great tone - when I dial it in, it sounds like my JMP 2204 and 1987x.
    Classic Marshall tones in an open back 2x12 combo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  17. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

Purists may not approve, but try out a Marshall JMD-1. They come in combos and heads in different wattages. Possibly the most versatile Marshall ever built.

Check out this forum before saying "No".
    http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewforum.php?f=48&start=100

18. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

Maybe consider a Goodsell Dominatrix 18 or Labrador 20. Both are 70s Marshall voiced AND have reverb for your Bonamassa tone side. Richard Goodsell was selling NAMM display Dominatrix 18 for something like $1300 shipped to your door. Hit him up.

19. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Go get a Class 5 combo and try it out. Most bang for your buck for a less expensive Marshall and you can recoup most of your cost if you decide to sell it later on. Otherwise, you'll have to shell out a lot more for a boutique Marshall wanna-be or a very expensive high wattage Marshall combo.

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

You pretty much want a bluesbreaker.