which marshall to get??????????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bugman, Oct 11, 2008.

1. bugman

bugman Member

i have a marshall vm 50 combo not crazy about it, what to get a new marshall should i go with the new jvm series or an older one jcm800,mind you i only play at home right now mostly a hobbie,need input

2. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Modern tones get a JCM 2000 DSL. The clean/crunch on the Classic channel is good and the Lead 1 on the Ultra channel too. You might be able to find one to compare to a JVM to see if you prefer one or the other.

A JMP 2203(100)/2204(50) is the choice for classic Marshall tone with a master volume. The '75-'76 are very "plexi" like and by 1980 thet are essentially a JCM 800. I find my JMP's smoother and warmer than my JCM 800's.
    A Hotplate or Ho/Ultimate attenuator will help at home.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The JVM is the best modern channel switcher Marshall has ever come out with.
    I would highly recommend it if you want "one" amp to cover a lot of ground.

By the way, I don't care for the VM series.

If you just play at home you may not get the chance to really let out and turn up a JMP, NMV, or even a JCM800. They just need some serious volume to get to there sweet spot. Attenuators help but its not the same.

Go for the JVM!

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

If you play at home, and you want the Marshall sound, a good alternative to consider would be something like a Fargen MiniPlex Mk. 2. Effectively a 12w amp with power scaling and a decade switch giving you JTM/JMP/JCM sounds.

If you only want your marshall sound to come out of a marshall, then the 2061x is a 20w head which is more homefriendly (still plenty loud though).

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I totally agree.

6. bugman

bugman Member

just sold the marshall vm on ebay,now im free to get something new

7. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2061x I would sell if you are interested.

8. illini

illini Member

Hard to truly get the goods out of most Marshalls at home. They aren't meant to be bedroom amps. But with that being said, they still sound good enough. I would go for a DSL if I was making your decision. Plenty of different Marshall tones in there to keep you happy, and you can find them at a decent price.

9. bugman

bugman Member

so far seems like like a fargen mini plxi mk2 might be the ticket for me doing some reserch,im gona go try a jvm tomorow and look for fargens i see musictoyz sells them,thanks for the info

10. Julia343

Julia343 Member

You want the Marshall sound? JVM. It's got some great sounds.

You will need to factor in for the OD Red (which are very high gain): ISP Decimator G-string (you can go with others, but this is about the best noise gate I've used), and I think that's about it. Noise gates are pretty normal for high gain amps. The tones range from the best clean Marshall has ever had, to plexi, to JCM 800, to hotrodded JCM800, to modern high gain. The 410 has two OD channels. OD1 has the midrange knob controlling at 650 Hz. OD2 uses 500 Hz for its centerpoint. This amp can do anything from classic rock to metal.

You don't need right away, but at somepoint you might want to get a Hot Plate so you can open up the power section.

11. bugman

bugman Member

Nows its between the jvm or the fargen miniplex mk2

12. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

13. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Love my JVM410C- best clean I've ever heard in a Marshall(almost like a Twin), crunch very JCM-like, OD1 & OD2 are very flexible for different hi-gain tones.

I'd buy one with a return policy, that's what I did. But mines a keeper...

14. EdgeOfDarkness

EdgeOfDarkness Member

its hard to beat.:AOK

15. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I agree the JVM is very versatile and has a great master volume. But the JCM 2000 DSL has tones I prefer and is less fizzy with more punch than a JVM.

Pretty versatile even if the clean isn't quite what the JVM has. Much cheaper too. Compare with your own ears though. You may be able to find both at the same store.

My Ho attenuator gives me true reproduction of tone at low volumes so I prefer my JMP's.

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would go for a DSL50 or Silver Jubilee. At home you might as well go with the 50Watt as they are touch easier to control volume wise than a 100Watt amp.

17. bugman

bugman Member

the dsl 401 has overheating problems right

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Stay away from the DSL401 or any of the JCM2000 combos for that matter.
    They are just terrible, period!

If you are considering a Marshall from the JCM2000 series, the DSL 50 and 100 are the ones to stick to. Great sounding amps and can get it at low volumes. Forget about the TSLs. Speaking of DSLs, a good buddy of mine just had one modded by VooDoo amps with upgraded circutry and power trans. He tells me it rocks and is a huge improvement on an already great souding.

With that said, I still think the JVM edges out the DSL and gives you what seems to be missing from the DSL from clean to HI gain. Again IMO, the JVM is the way to go if you want true Marshall tone.

19. hamfist

hamfist Member

Bugman, I find it strange that you are getting all these recommendations for amps when you haven't actually told us what sort of sounds you are looking for. What eras/bands/style of music are you looking at playing ?
    For all we know, you play country, or is it death metal, or what ?

I don't see how anyone can give a viable recommendation without knowing that.

20. Soporific

Soporific Member

I am a JVM fanboi now, but I think hamfist is probably correct. :D

~S