Which Marshall would you recommend?

Kingdilph

Hey mates,
just wondering what you guys think would be a good pairing for a Strat and a Marshall.
Unfortunately I haven't had too many opportunities to play one. They seem to be unicorns out there. A lot of the new ones I hear suck and it seems all the good ones are either in studios or hiding away in someone's basement. I've personally played a Jcm2000 and late 70 JMP the precursor to the JCM800 (was cool). Also a few reissues a JTM45 reissue which broke in the store, and a 1959 reissue. Been always kind of a dream of mine to get a Marshall sort of delayed it by getting a Bassman but it's hard to resist the call. Any suggestions on which models to look at? I want to check out a JCM800 big fan of Fugazi and Drive Like Jehu but they seem to be hard to track down and try. Also seems like the 70s Marshall Kickass and are not as expensive as their 60’s counterparts. Superbass seems cool.

Floyd Eye

1987 JCM800 is like the holy grail. Not that you could find one easily. I would go and play a bunch of them and let your ears decide.

Roxy

For a strat ( I would recommend these for everything) is the Marshall 62 Bluesbreaker. My favorite Marshall. The issue is for a Marshall is not very "Marshall" . Have you ever tried a Mesa Transatlantic? Best way to explain it. Glassy but can get dirty. IMO the coolest for a strat.

But if you're chasing the Marshall sound you're probably chasing the JCM800..

Kelly

DSL is fine. The thing about Marshalls is they need to be loud. Also, tone that may be thin when jamming by yourself will sound great in a band mix.

Kingdilph

I actually started out with a Friedman Dirty Shirley earlier this year but returned it. Thought it was alright didn't blow me away for the price. Wasn’t too 'open' sounding if that makes sense? Too compressed for my taste I saw similar criticism online and could never shake that impression. Also the EQ seemed a bit flat. I ended up getting lucky and found a Bassman online been happy with it.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I like the sound of earlier non master volume Marshalls, but can't crank them at home, so...
Late 70s (77-79) JMP 2204 is what I landed on for my Marshall. I've had a lot of different Marshalls. The JMPs sound warmer, browner and have a nicer sound at lower volumes, imo. I think a lot of that has to do with the lower plate voltage. It's basically AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZtop, all the classic rock bands, in a box at tolerable volumes. The heavier 80s and Fugazi sounds are there too.

Fulldrive-1

Any of them, really. Four-jack JMP rules.

With a Strat and one of these, a Univibe, wah and Fuzzface = Jimi.

I'd put my '73 up against any of the Marshallesque Booteek heads the gear goobers on TGP drool over. It'd eat 'em for breakfast like the Great Orca that it is.

Tone Meister

Hey mates,
just wondering what you guys think would be a good pairing for a Strat and a Marshall ... ... I've personally played a Jcm2000 and late 70 JMP the precursor to the JCM800 (was cool). Also a few reissues a JTM45 reissue which broke in the store, and a 1959 reissue ...

... I would go and play a bunch of them and let your ears decide.

Yep, I'd derive your short list from the amps you've actually played. There are many good ones, but it's hard to say what's best for you since you didn't really describe the music you like and the tones you're shooting for. Not only do different amps sound different, they also feel different, which for me is a major consideration.

I consider Jeff Beck and Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple) two excellent examples of Strat/Marshall guitar tones, but there's no way to know if their guitar/amp combination could work for me without a test drive. Get out there and play a few. There should be numerous high-end music shops within a reasonable driving distance of where you live there in NJ.

Floyd Eye

Yep, I'd derive your short list from the amps you've actually played. There are many good ones, but it's hard to say what's best for you since you didn't really describe the music you like and the tones you're shooting for. Not only do different amps sound different, they also feel different, which for me is a major consideration.

I consider Jeff Beck and Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple) two excellent examples of Strat/Marshall guitar tones, but there's no way to know if their guitar/amp combination could work for me without a test drive. Get out there and play a few. There should be numerous high-end music shops within a reasonable driving distance of where you live there in NJ.

While I am here, I meant to say 1982 with regards to the JCM800 not 1987.

BADHAK

I like the sound of earlier non master volume Marshalls, but can't crank them at home, so...
Late 70s (77-79) JMP 2204 is what I landed on for my Marshall. I've had a lot of different Marshalls. The JMPs sound warmer, browner and have a nicer sound at lower volumes, imo. I think a lot of that has to do with the lower plate voltage. It's basically AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZtop, all the classic rock bands, in a box at tolerable volumes. The heavier 80s and Fugazi sounds are there too.

Spot on. My 79 2203 is perfect for those tones.

I have a jcm800 4010, vertical input, and the thing rocks with any guitar you pair it with. It's basically a 2204 in a 1x12 combo. That's what I'd be looking for, either a 2204/2203 or a combo version of the above.

Vanyu

All of the classic Marshall circuits can be had in JCM800 clothing, usually cheaper than their older JMP siblings. JCM800 Superleads are relatively inexpensive if that's the kind of thing you're into. 2203/4 is also a great option if you want a MV. Stay away from the bass series amps unless you're a bass player.

sickboy79

Hard to beat those late 70s JMP 2204/2203s. I have a 79 2204 and it's just awesome.

Lance

Any of them, really. Four-jack JMP rules.

With a Strat and one of these, a Univibe, wah and Fuzzface = Jimi.

I'd put my '73 up against any of the Marshallesque Booteek heads the gear goobers on TGP drool over. It'd eat 'em for breakfast like the Great Orca that it is.

The eating for breakfast comment reminds me of a jam I was at once, a long time ago. Other guitar player had a SL100 into a 1960 A cab. I walk in with my Mark III combo. While we were on our first little break, we were talking outside about amps and loudness and whatnot. We blended together real nicely during the jam. At the first break we were outside smoking and he starts bragging on how loud his Marshall would get. I said, "Well, while we're on break, why don't we go and see if my Mesa 65W'er can hang with your 100W'er." LOL, and BREAKFAST was served!!!

OP, I agree with the 70's JMP.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom