• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Martin model/size/year is right for me?

Wheeler004

I'm in the market for a Martin acoustic guitar. I love acoustic guitar, but I am far more familiar with electrics when it comes to gear and tone. I am looking for a guitar that has really warm, open, woody tone. At the same time, I'd like for it sound crisp and articulate.

So, which model Martin is right for me? How about size? I am mainly looking at vintage instruments (mostly from the 1940's), but please feel free to make suggestions on Martin guitars from other periods as well (even new). The maximum I am looking to spend is 12K, so no suggestions for an original 1934 000-45 in mint condition or anything of the like. I'm looking for a good solid player. Thanks!

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
You should try posting your ? at the Martin forum www.umgf.com lots of guys there that know Martin's very well. Personally I'd suggest a D-18 Authentic it's extremely warm, woody and articulate a beautiful sounding guitar and well in your price range.

go7

Well as soon as you said crisp I thought of some sort of Mahogany guitar. I have a 000-18GE that meets that criteria. D18 Authentic would be ideal and within your price range. With that amount of $ you should easily find an excellent guitar and a lifetime keeper. Good luck!

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
a 40's Martin 00-17. That hog top keeps things crisp, and the prices aren't ridiculous yet. Plus the neck carve is beefier than the 50's Martins, but not as huge as wartime Gibsons - it's very comfortable.

majorbanjo

The best new Martin is the D18 Authentic...every one I've played has been outstanding.....I sold my Collings D2H, my D18GE, My D28 Marquis...and my 63' D18....it feels like I'm holding a subwoofer in my lab when I play it.....what a great guitar....the neck is a little big..but when you play it you learn how to adapt.....If I had 12K for a new guitar I'd buy two D18 Authentics.....if you buy them used...you can get three.....check buy and sell on the UMGF.com....

visit the UMGF.com and ask about the authentic....then go and play one...you'll see......

go7

The best new Martin is the D18 Authentic...every one I've played has been outstanding.....I sold my Collings D2H, my D18GE, My D28 Marquis...and my 63' D18....it feels like I'm holding a subwoofer in my lab when I play it.....what a great guitar....the neck is a little big..but when you play it you learn how to adapt.....If I had 12K for a new guitar I'd buy two D18 Authentics.....if you buy them used...you can get three.....check buy and sell on the UMGF.com....

visit the UMGF.com and ask about the authentic....then go and play one...you'll see......
What he said..

Trending Topics