1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Which Matchless amp do I want?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by suhr_rodney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I previously owned a Matchless H/C-30 and it sounded fantastic, but it was WAY TOO LOUD. What amp will give me those tones (or more) at a more reasonable volume? On a related note, has anyone tried The Independence 3-channel?

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

The Lightning dude.:cool:

3. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

All I can say is don't try the Phoenix...It's like crack with tubes. I wanted one so bad I was ready to sell my car and start riding a moped to work. They sound incredible and the master is pretty good.

4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

+1 for the Lightning.

The Independence will probably be just as loud as the DC-30.

MikeY

5. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

-1 for the Lightning. I just dont think it sounds the same. Had a sampson DC30 with the master and half power switch. How about an attenuator.
    Rob

6. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

The Lightning is almost as loud as a C30. You can get them to sound very similar, in my opinion, but the C30 is a little richer and bigger. I would ask Moods.......he knows a lot about Matchless amps plus he's building his own amps now.

7. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

8. Lasiurus

Lasiurus Member

top hat supreme 16, bad cat cub cat.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Is the lightning loud enough for bar gigs?

10. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I tried the Independence at Roxy music in Philly. It was one of the best amps I have ever heard. High gain by Matchless standards, no fx loop, reverb available. Yhe price with reverb is about 4k. Biggest bass response I've ever experienced in a combo, hope this helps..

11. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

"Why don't you check out Star? Mark Sampson's newest company.
    www.staramplifiers.com"

I agree . . .Killer cleans . . .but it depends on wether he needs a "high-gain" channel in there (though this channel can be used in lower gain settings to get mighty creamy sounds). Star amps are wonderful.

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I love matchless amps and the dc 30 would be great for a home rig for recording but something smaller to gig with with the same tone and a tad more gain for me would be ideal.

13. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

The I haven't heard the DC30, but the guy that sold my my Spitfire thought it was similar enough to his DC30 that he didn't want to keep both.

14. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Spitfire, Lightning, or Brave. That'll do. :cool:

15. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I've owned both a Sampson-era Matchless Chieftain and a Gainstar 30, and to my ears they are two totally different animals. I bought the GainStar based on how good the Chieftain sounded, but it was such a tonal departure I sold it. When it comes to Matchless amps, the older Cheiftains still do it for me.

16. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

While we're on the topic, what's the difference between the Lightning and Spitfire? I've got a Lightning and love it, but you can never stop looking...

17. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Myself I'm dying for a matchless tornado. Single channel Volume Tone and tremelo. Don't need much else and it's 1-12 15 watter. Seems like the perfect small amp.

18. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Well knowing myself I'll break down and invest in one.I gig with all my amps but the Vicky. She's too sweet to gig out with.I'm sure it will be that way with a matchless as they demand heavy coinage.I will say that this new 20 watt bad cat classic I picked up from a TGP member has some very lush 3D cleans along that vein.

Johnny

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

The Lightning has an extra gain stage (ie tube) in it for the tone stack. The Spitfire is more like a Deluxe in a way in that it has only one tube before the phase inverter and only a "tone" knob, not "bass" and "treble". The Lightning sounds fuller to me.

And I wish I'd been able to swing that Badcat Classic!

I'd agree with an earlier poster - try the Badcat Cub. I really prefer the Badcats over the Matchless amps as they sound a bit richer and less glassy to me. I don't like the speakers they use though. I use G12H's with my Badcats as the modded V30s sound like mud to me.

20. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Thats one of the things I'm picking up here in the forum is just how many cats are going with heads and cabs rather than combos.It would be hip to use different cabs without swapping out the speaker.I'm sitting here looking at 5 combo amps thinking about that very concept.I'm not getting any younger and these combos are a handful.( casters anyone?) lol