Which Matchless Amp Do You Think Has Best Cleans?

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
The C-30 IMO. It's an EL84 "clean" which to me is different than a 6L6 type clean. I haven't tried the Independence...I hear that they have great cleans.

Guinness Lad

I have a Clubman and I wouldn't say this amp has the best cleans in the Fender Blackface sense, it's more like a tweed amp as it gets gritty pretty quick. It does however the thick full bordering on the edge of distortion (real light break up) sound in spades, I don't think I have heard anything better yet.

DrJamie

Silver Supporting Member
Between the Clubman, C-30, Lightening, and Chieftain, all of which I've owned, my vote goes to the Chieftain, for beautiful cleans. It also breaks up great, especially with P-90s, or humbuckers. When I want great chimey strat tones, I go to the Chieftain. It's my one do-all amp.

gregc

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the 'clean' you like. I have a DC-30 that has the most magical, swirly, chimy clean. I also dig the clean on the Clubmen..... in that EL-34 clean kind of way.

mrodrigues

yeah, I guess by 'clean' I mean that clean that's not really clean... you know, like a hot rod deluxe just about to go over the edge! :)

guitarded_1

Silver Supporting Member
yeah, I guess by 'clean' I mean that clean that's not really clean... you know, like a hot rod deluxe just about to go over the edge! :)
The Clubman clean is stunning...chime, bounce, sparkle, with just a hint of grit...like an AC-30 meets Hiwatt. Amazing amp.

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
I prefer the Clubman over the C30, but maybe the C30 has a "cleaner" clean rather than a better clean.

radcliff

I love the clean on the Clubman I have, but theres definitely some bass.... more than I've been used to in the past

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I've played them all, but the new King Cobra gets my vote by a mile.

GAT

King Cobra here. Just a beautiful clean tone. Also, the amp cranked sounds great and cleans up well. I've had 5 different Matchless models and this one just makes me smile.

6AM

The Thunderchief. It's a 200 watt bass amp. Amazing clean guitar tones.

mrodrigues

I know I need to hear for myself, but could anyone describe just how different the cleans are accross the models? Say, a Chieftain to a Clubman etc?

amc

Another Chieftain fan here. I've played C30's and clubman's as well and I still
like the Chieftain clean best.

rburkard

As much as I like Matchless amps I have to say that Matchless="Clean sound" is an oxymoron. Please look elsewhere if you want clean.
Rene

Trending Topics