1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Matchless amps sound similar to this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by adnan76, Feb 17, 2009.

1. adnan76

adnan76 Member

I love this clip on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMheZvpfzAA

He's playing a DC30- do any of Matchless's 15W or lower have a similar setup/sound? I currently have a Vox AC30CC head and cabinet, and I want to downsize to hopefully a 15W combo. I've considered the handwired AC15's, but there's no master volume. I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys have... for a chimey, complex sounding 15W combo, especially something in the sub $1800 2nd hand price range :)

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Spitfire, Lightning... both good options. Should both be in your price range if you find them used.

3. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Definitely the Lightning. Lots of 'Voxy' chime and will handle most small clubs despite only 15 watts.

4. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Spitfire, Lightning,
    or Nighthawk, or old used Hurricane or Tornado...all Matchless 15 watters

5. wyatt

wyatt Member

The Lightning is probably closest to the DC-30's clean channel. Spitfire adds in some extra midrange, which works against headroom. Tornado is (IIRC) a Spitfire with tremolo.

6. adnan76

adnan76 Member

Ok, thanks for the replies! If anyone here has hands on experience with the handwired AC15's (http://www.voxamps.com/heritagecollection/ac15h1tv/), any thoughts on how they compare with the models mentioned above? Build quality's a big deal for this purchase, it'll be my only amp and a long-term'r.
    thanks!

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Funny. I just played all of these amps in the last week - we must be on a similar quest. The handwired Vox AC15 did not impress me much. The CC actually did. But the amp I play to buy if I can come up with the scratch to do so would be the Bad Cat Cub IIR. You might want to look into it.

8. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

I would add the Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 to the list, very chimey!