Which Maxon delay - AD80, AD900, AD999?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stephen Landry, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I'm thinking of picking up a basic analog delay as a Christmas gift to myself. I don't know much about delays having owned only a Boss DM-2 for a short time. I don't need any features really - just looking for the best analog delay tone. These three seem to be very popular, but my searching hasn't really shown me what the differences are between the three (besides the obvious delay time, which I don't think is that big of a deal for me). I'm leaning towards an AD-900, but not for any particular reason. Any suggestions/info to help me choose between the three?

Thanks in advance!

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Check out a modded Ibanez AD9 by Keeley
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=39

I think it's a great delay for adding a little slapback or a nice hollow/pseudo big body guitar ambient effect. It's very warm and lush sounding sans the
    metallic ping that I hear on the Maxons.

3. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

AD-900 all the way. the other guitarist (adelphi710) has it, it sounds fantastic. Discontinued, get them on ebay. He'll probably see this thread and hop on.

4. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

AD-999 is one that I just picked up today. Friggin' sweet. No need to right a bunch of cheesy tone adjectives about it. It's pretty simple and only really does one thing, but it does it very very well.

5. webb

webb Member

The AD900 is a fantastic sounding analog delay. I think the T-rex delay would be a good choice too, if you can find one in the same price range.
    Have fun with your search.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have the AD900 too, love it.

Differences that I know of:

AD900
    12v (allows for more headroom!)
    mono
    600ms
    High-Voltage BBD's (allows for more headroom!)
    mechanical non-true bypass w/buffered in/out (which is DEAD silent, love it!)
    discontinued, too expensive to manufacture

AD999
    9v
    stereo
    900ms
    Low-Voltage BBD's
    mechanical true bypass switching
    current production model

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

of course the ad-999 ....seller on ebay lately selling them for about 290 new intead of 400

8. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

the 999. Been using it for a year now. I have the Diamond Memory Lane as well which is a great pedal as well. I have owned the AD900 and the 999 is just a bit sweeter + more organic sounding to me. This pedals is great because it lays back in the mix and doesnt stomp on your original note. It knows its place very well and sings it back beautifully. My favorite delay pedal out there right now. I just wish it had tap tempo like the Mem Lane; then my longing would be over.

9. Rid

Rid Senior Member

AD 900 and 999 are great delays!
    As for tempo tap...I have it but I use manual timesettings more;)

10. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Analog Delay junkie here.

I have too may old and new Analog Delays (all with the reall PAnasonic BBD's). Boss DM-2, DM-3, Ibanez AD-9, AD-80, ADL, Maxon AD-80, AD-9, Arion SAD-1, an old DOD unit, etc.

My fave of all time is the Boss DM-2, followed by the DM-3.

Your best bet (and most affordable and good sounding) if you want a new Maxon is the AD-80. You can get for as little as $150 if you shop around. It has the old Panasonic BBD's (as does the Maxon AD-9, and Maxon AD-900).

The Maxon AD-999 and the re-issue Ibanez AD-9 both use "new" current model BBD chips. To my ears the Ibanez sounds like utter crap (the repeats distort - I returned it immediately).

I haven't tried the Maxon AD-999, but it seems like the same holds true as the Ibanez re-issue AD-9 judging by what I have read.

If you want a great, dirt cheap (metal box) analog delay, try to find and old Ibanez ADL. It is the one that replaced the AD-9. IT sounds great and can be had for UNDER $100 - a STEAL.

Good luck. :D

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

+1

anything rob does is gold.

12. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

I have a complete ToneCzar Echozar setup with Angel Baby and I just got a Maxon AD999. I love the Echoczar and it's unparalleled for flexibility (and it should be for the cost $$$), but it is very clean sounding. Sometimes I like the little bit of grunge the AD999 adds (as mentioned above). I actually find myself using it more than the EchoCzar since I got it, but it's still a new toy. It sounds lush and fat, and while it does break up a bit, it does so in a very musical way.
    Another fantastic sounding anaolog delay that you can get for a song is the DOD FX90. Very similar to the Maxon in terms of break up pf signal and overall darkness of the delays, but a bit trashier sounding. Still really cool. And you can get ahold of one for anywhere $40 to $80 in good condition. Huge bang for your buck in an analog delay.
    Peace...

13. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

AD900 is really sweet.
    The old Ibanez AD99 is a cheapo cool delay.
    My favorite currently is the Keeley Modded Boss DD-3...it is amazing and can sound very warm and organic for a digital...I posted a ton of clips on my music site of it!

14. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

AD 900- the two chip one, not the later one with 4 bb chips. This is the quietest and warmest of the ad 900s.

I my self have both the ad 900 and the ad 999. I find myself using the ad999 more becuase of the longer delay times.

The ad999 does have a slighlty grungier tone than the ad900 which is warm and sounds more pure. But becuase i mostly play with distortion and use the delays in the loop the ad999 gets the nod.

i also have a memory lane and find that it works well in bright amps like matchless or vox and really gives it an analogue schmeer to 3d sound spectrum. Hard to describe, but really noticiable after you switch the effect off. Tap temp is nice, but wish the delays were longer. also not really knocked about the modulated repeats.

dod fx90- best bang for the buck analog delay. quiet and reliable. is still have mine and use it on my back up board.

ibanez ad 99- dont forget about these beauties. two minuses are they are large and only ac powered. however they deliver good clean analog delay. much of the mojo of the dm-2 for a fraction of the price.

boss dm-2- got it , use it, great delay, lives up to all the hype. Now really expensive to get one in good shape!

digitech digidelay.- dont forget this one. really good no nonsense digital delay with pretty good analog simulation. cheap and roadworthy. my number one play out delay. to me it has better sound than the new tonecore.

On a final note, Ed told me that my echo tzar and angel baby should be shipping before the end of the year. I literally cannot stand the wait. I am chomping at the bit in anticipation.

The only other delay that has my interest is the Moog delay. It is really pricey at 700 bones for a straight analog delay.

anyways that is my two cents.

flame on!:BEER :dude :RoCkIn :NUTS :D

bertramladner likes this.