Which Mesa Boogie? Mesa Boogie Fans Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cotton, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cotton

Cotton Member

Okay, folks... I need your input.... I'm not gonna have a Mesa Boogie Hollywood Store amp room.... But I've been there.... And like anyone, at some point, your buddy pulls out a Mesa Boogie... So we've all heard a few of them... Mesa Boogie has a huge catalog of past and current choices in amps.... i get confused by the Mark this, Mark that, Green Stripe, Blue Stripe, F This, .22, dual, single, simul, etc....

As a Mesa Boogie fan, if you could only have one Mesa Boogie product, what would it be and in very few words, why did you choose that product?

Yeah.. i could tell you my preferences and that might help you pick something for me, but I really do not want to skew your response. I'd just like to get your quick from hip thoughts...

What do think? Only one Boogie.... What is it and why?

Thanks!!!

Cotton

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I own and have owned many Boogie amps. If I had to pick one, it would be my MKIV. It's the most versatile with 3 channels. The clean is great, actually all 3 channels are great. To top it off, the footswitch is really smart and perfectly laid out.

Don't let all the knobs confuse you, it's easy. Once you find your sound, you don't have to touch the knobs again.

And yes, I do think it's better than the "holy grail" MKIIC+ (which I also own).

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

if you're patient, technically inclined, and into tweaking i would i highly recommend the mark IV because it can cover everything if you know the amp well enough.

if you're a plug and play kind of guy, i'd definitely steer clear of it.

i'm not into the recto series because they sound too modern for me.

4. dunara

dunara Member

A V-twin, plugged into a good amp like Marshall JTM45 or 18-watter.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

I'm perfectly happy with my old Dual Rectifier. Although, I am very fond of the Mark IV. I'm waiting for the MKV to be released so I can go try one of them.

I've never played one, but the Road King sounds fantastic from all the clips I've heard.

I'm a Mesa whore, so it's really hard for me to nail it down to just one amp.

Put on your flameproof suit for this thread. All kjnds of Boogie haters out there. :munch

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I've had many Mesas as well. The ole dual recto had some really great mojo and my mark lll can rip your head off with tone.

7. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive had a few boogies over the years,, rectoverb combo , f30, f50, stiletto deuce, express 5:25 and played Mark 4's and dual rectos.

Honostly I would go with the roadking if your looking for the ultimate,, pricey they are but I think they cover a very broad spectrum of boogie tones. Excellent cleans,, great crunch and they have the recto sound if you want.

This is just my opinion and only mine,, but I have messed with the Mark 4 numerous times and while it is a very versatile amp indeed I would never say its easy to find your sound. They are choke full of options, hence their versatality but I always found myself screwing around with their many knobs. Its true,, they can have great tone and they do, but once found it always seemed to me it would be gone the next day most of the time. The mark 4's cleans are great but their crunch I believe is mediocre and they will never achieve the recto sound if you want it.
    Dont flame me fellas,, I said this was only my opinion.
    And to the OP,, this place below is the holy grail for everything Mesa.
    http://forum.grailtone.com/

8. nhspike

nhspike Member

Express 5:25
    for the reverb

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Roadster! Everyday All day....

10. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a Mark III blue label, A Studio .22 and a V-twin pedal. My Mark III is a simulclass with an EQ. This amp really rocks from low power to cranking in Dumble type territory. The .22 is a nice class A low volume amp (mine's for sale on Craigslist in Atlanta) and have a V-twin which works great in front of a single channel amp

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Also snag a trem-o-verb if you can. ITs seriously one of the best amps they ever made.

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

No question, '70's HunRevEq combo with a JBL D120 or Altec

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have a Mk III red and green stripe which are actually great amps for the money. I'd take em in a heartbeat over a Mk IV just because I think the tone on the two usable channels kicks the Mk IVs 3 channel butt. :argue

The Heart breaker is kind of a cool amp. I just bought a Lonestar special which has some of the best boogie tones I've heard so far. I had an early 1993 Mesa Dual Rec which was a fantastic amp! I kept that one 10 years. Tremoverb is another decent amp. Blue Angel is an excellent older school sounding amp.... probably one of the best Boogies ever built!

I suppose just go play several and see what fits your style and budget.

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

My 1990 Mark IV is the only mesa I own. If I had to have just one amp of any brand that would be it. It has a nice clean channel. R2 is nice with a boost, but it can be temperamental, and I love the lead channel. I am hoping that there is mark V I out there as I will probably pick one up....

15. tjauernig

tjauernig Member

If there was only one, the Mark IV is the ticket. Except you need to get an early one. I had a 83-ish, that needed repair at one point. I sent the chassis in, and they swapped the boards. It came back sounding VERY harsh. I've since noticed this trait on the newer ones I've tried. They definately changed the design over the years. For small amps, the Subway Rocket really rips.

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Are you sure you mean the mark IV? I am pretty sure they were first released in 1989 or 1990 and there is only 2 versions the mark IVA and Mark IVB.

Maybe you mean the mark III, there were lots of versions of that amp....

17. angelo

angelo Member

Same here. Mark IV from 1994 for me too if just one. I don't find it confusing. I don't find it temperamental. The footswitch is AWESOME for three distinct sounds / lead boost for each (EQ) / effects loop for delay (that's how I use it).

But there is no "best" boogie. I traded in my Mav 2X12 for a Lonestar Special. Both are great amps with very different characteristics from the Marks. Then, you bring the Recto's into the picture and it is an entirely different animal again

So many boogies, so little disposable cash.......

18. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I recently got a Stiletto Ace. It sounds more Marshall than my Marshall's! Plus, it has a built in variac and switchable tube or solid state rectifier. Very versatile. I'm really happy with this one...
    [​IMG]

19. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Tweedle dee Tweedle dumm :horse

My mark IV will take 6v6, 6L6, and EL-34 tubes in the class A postion, the Mark III I believe does not use 6V6 tubes only the 6L6 and EL-34 in the class A position, the tone I get from the 6V6 tubes in my Mark IV is amazing, on all three channels.

I find that I really love the 6V6 tubes, had Marshall Studio 15 that used them and I put them in Fender HRDx, great tone never was so easy.

20. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

My Heartbreaker combo will take the same glass too. I've also settled in on the quad of 6v6's. That way you can get the ACDC crank at lower volume. With 6L6's, at 100W, you can literally rearrange the scenic view outside your window. A 100W Twin pales in comparison, when the channel 1 boost switch is in the boost (Santana) mode, you might damage yourself for life.

I am not kidding. There's a warning in the manual.