which Mesa/Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bryan83, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I'm looking for that "classic" boogie sound, and I dont really want to go vintage. which newer mesa/boogie should I check out? I was thinking the lone star 2x12. Any recommendations?
    thanks

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

3. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

The best advice is to get the exact amp that sounds like what you're looking for. If that is an old boogie, then find an old Boogie.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I was under the impresion that the Lone Star was Mesa's attempt to sound like a Marshall. Get is Lone Star = Marshall old west? Anyway of the current line up I would think the MKIV would be the one to cop the MK series tones which is after all THE classic Boogie. ;)

5. SFW

SFW Member

Well, there are two different “Classic Boogie” sounds out there. The Mark sound, and the Recto sound. Both are excellent in their respective duties. The Mark IV will get you all (or most of) the classic Mark series sounds- crunchy rhythm tones and liquid leads. The Rectos get you the bold, large crunch tones, with a more in your face type lead sound. You can check out the clips in my signature for some Mark IV sound clips. I also have a Trem-O-Verb (should have those clips up by the end of the week). I find that the two channel Rectos have a smoother, more fluid tone- which I like. The three channel Rectos are a bit harsher, but can be tamed with the right tubes. Your call on which tones you’re after.

A good middle ground between these two worlds is the DC50 and DC100. These are two channel amps that have some really nice Mark series style cleans, and their crunch tones can be dialed in either the Mark or Recto flavor. The DC series is really kind of like having a Recto with the Mark series graphic EQ. (Before it’s all said and done, I will own a DC100!)

Another point worth mentioning, if you are going to buy a Boogie- get a Mesa cab as well. Their cabs are outstanding! I didn’t realize what my Mesa’s could sound like until I started picking up their cabs. The Recto 4x12 will rattle your pelvis, and the 1x12 ¾ Back cab is just indescribably good! Fat tones that just seem to breathe in a way that is beyond words.

Anyway… I'll stop with the walking Boogie ad now. Feel free to ask any questions. As you can tell, I love their amps, and have owned quite a few. (Studio Pre, Quad Pre, Triaxis, Rect-O-Verb head and 1x12 combo, 3-Channel Duel Recto, Mark IV, Nomad 100, Mark III Blue Stripe and a Trem-O-Verb.)

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can buy used mk1s for ridiculously low prices ($500-700), If that's the classic mesa sound you're thinking of. They're bargains considering the price of other mesa's and other vintage amps in general. They aren't for everyone thought.

7. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Bryan,

I have a Lonestar 2x12, and am thinking of selling it (sounds great, but too heavy for me). Let me know if you may be interested.

Dave

8. GasMask

GasMask Member

The Lonestar is a very nice amp! It is Not the one to buy for the "classic" boogie tone.

If we are talking new, I would say a Mk. IV or an F-50.

9. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

+1 for SFW's points....

I own quite a few M/B's and the Mark IV pretty much runs the spectrum.

IMO... it's the most versatile M/B I own....

10. charley

charley Supporting Member

Why does nobody ever mention the MK 1 Re-Issues? I played one last week and really liked it. Are the MK 4's that much better? I've never played one, so please tell me why everyone likes them.
    It doesn't get more "classic Boogiie" than a mk 1. They are the originals, and from what I understand, the newer mk 1 reissues are supposed to be the best.

11. SFW

SFW Member

Basically, with the IV you can get all the Mark I tones and then some.

12. bryan83

bryan83 Member

WOW you guys are great, but I think it comes down to the Mark I RI and the Lone star, I know I know the lone star isn't really a classic boogie but It sure sounded nice. Alrighty thanks for the replys gentleman.

13. Rama

Rama Member

I absolutely love the Lonestars..have three in fact. It's my sound....a velvet hammer!

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I tried a Lone Star Special the other day and couldn't find a really good distortion sound in it. Didn't sound much like classic Mesa at all. Clean was phenomenal as was the clean pushed really hard to breaking up, but distiortion wasn't happening. I was using a cheap music store guitar with old strings, and a really annoying salesman who kept turning knobs as I was playing, so it was really difficult to get it dialed in.

I'm going back today with my guitar and I'm going to tell the salesman to keep his hands off while I play, but my initial impression is that the Lone Star is a long way from classic Mesa. A great blues amp, but that big fat distortion isn't there.

15. SFW

SFW Member

I not a big Lone Star fan. I appreciate what the amp was designed to do. And what it does, it does well. It just doesn’t do what I WANT a Boogie to do. But then again, it wasn’t designed to sound like other Boogies. So I’m cool with that. I just couldn’t get MY sound out of one. Not the Trem-O-Verb and the Mark IV… those I can get my sound out of for days…:dude

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

SFW, I couldn't agree with you more about the two channel rectos--beautiful smooth tone if you spend the time to properly dial it in. Ny next head for sure.

Question for you--how would youo compare the Lone Star to the Mark IV? I haven't played a Mark IV for a while but in my estimation the LS can get more of a Fender-type fat clean/pushed (Super Reverb-ish) out of it's clean channel. How would you describe the "feel" of the MIV's clean tones?

How would you compare the crunch tones?

17. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

Just adding another plug for the Lonestar - not classic boogie, but a great sounding amp. Killer clean through singing blues overdrive. Not for metal though. I think someone mentioned earlier that it may be Mesa's take on a marshall? It's not. Doesn't sound much like a Marshall even with EL34s.

18. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Have to agree with your take on the Lonestar?Marshall thing, although you can dial up a pretty decent facsimile by using el34s. Opens up the top end a bit...

19. sws1

sws1 Member

If you want Mesa's take on Marshall, then the Stiletto is the amp. That was the goal when they designed. Much more so than the Lone Star.

I would vote Mark IV as classic Boogie sound.

20. MattB

MattB Member

Mark IV and Mark III will never leave my stable....this week :)